Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Suspension lift land cruiser colorado

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wishmasteruk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 23:40    Post subject: Suspension lift land cruiser colorado Reply with quote

I wanna lift my suspension, I've bought some 3" lift spings but cant find shocks to go with them, can someone point me in the right direction and let me know what else im gunna need, thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 23:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear

Extended shocks at the rear are available from Monroe. The part number for the +2" version is D8433. I think the standard length shocks are D8343. I can't comment for a 3" lift directly, but from my experience with a 2" lift it is not crucial to get extended rear shocks. All that will happen is your shocks might bottom out a bit more readily, which will shorten their lifespan supposedly. But I had standard lengths on for ages before I added the extended Monroe ones with no obvious ill effects.

Fitting the rear suspension is straightforward. You will  need spring compressors and it needs the usual bit of trial and error to get them aligned correctly to fit. It's also very awkward to access the nut on top of the shocks (invisible and nearly unreachable). Don't bother trying to undo the existing nuts just cut through the topbolt of the old shock just below the mount. When fitting the new ones hold the nut in place with a spanner and turn the shock body.

Front

I'm not sure but I think at the front you can use standard shocks with the extended springs (I dunno about 3" though. 2" is conventionally regarded as the maximum without serious mods). I'm not 100% on this point because I did my fronts with a spacer on top of the struts rather than extended springs, but I seem to remember reading that this is how it's done (don't rely on my memory).

Heavy duty spring compressors needed to build the front struts, ideally the single prong types as the double prong types struggle to fit the narrow radius of the springs.  You'll probably need the top plates (as yours are likely to be very rusted and it can be a hassle to dismantle the old struts - I think Roughtrax do them).

It's not immediately obvious but you also need to make sure you assemble the struts with everything aligned right so that the bottom bolt hole is aligned correctly with the top plate - try to get it right first time as adjusting it involves taking the strut fully apart again. Use your old ones as a guide or there is a diagram in the factory service manual if you can find a copy online. There is a bit of flexibility but it needs to be more-or-less right to fit onto the bottom mounting.

All this is from memory from when I did a lift myself with spacers. I splashed out for the Roughtrax ready made 2" kit last time I renewed everything which saves a lot of faff as far as the front struts are concerned.
Wishmasteruk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:03    Post subject: Great Reply with quote

Thanks for that write up that helps a lot, i do appreciate it, I've bought the 3" lift springs  : so what mods will i need to do?  Sad
diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go 3" at the front, I can't help. Conventional wisdom has it that anything more than 2" will cause unacceptable strain on the CV joints because they will run at too steep an angle. I seem to remember reading that there are certain other complications as well to do with wheel alignment and the ball joints. It may be that the warnings about 3" are overstated but I just stuck with 2" and I've been perfectly happy with it.

If you can't find anything on this forum or the other UK forum then I suggest you have a look at some of the Aussie foums where the 90 (called the Prado over there) is a popular 4x4 and where they love modding them.

Where did you get 3" lift springs for the front from? Can they advise?
DaveLCVX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 19:46    Post subject: Re: Suspension lift land cruiser colorado Reply with quote

Wishmasteruk wrote:
I wanna lift my suspension, I've bought some 3" lift spings but cant find shocks to go with them, can someone point me in the right direction and let me know what else im gunna need, thanks

My LandCruiser Had extra length shocks from 'Rough Trax Ltd'  Hope that helps. Spoke to them once or twice, seemed very helpful

Dave B
Wishmasteruk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 14:15    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

Ye thanks for replys, got them from milner 4x4 and they weren't very helpful on locating shocks, im gunna send them back and get a refund and go for 2" lift instead, any mthing recommend? Should i just do 2" spacers,  should of asked here first but i got a bit excited when i saw them

Thanks again
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at replacing the rear shocks, it looks like you can access the rear shocks top not through rubber grommets in the rear floor just behind the rear seat. Its the grommets in the luggage compartment just where the carpet splits. Pull the grommet and look down with a torch there is a cup filled with dirt, poke it loose and you will see a nut I have sprayed mine with wd40 and leaving it for a few days. I can imagine the nut to be seized and the shocker to just turn might have to get some one to hold the shocker while the nut is turned.whatever way you get the shockers off this will make it easy when fitting.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

'you can access the rear shocks top nut through rubber grommets in the rear floor'

You learn something new everyday! Great tip. I've been doing it the hard way all these years with my wrist cocked at impossible angles.

OP - spacers work fine, but you will need to find them. It's definitely the lowest cost route. I bought mine years ago from sellers on e bay that will be long gone so I can't help. If you can't find any in the UK, then you may be able to get them imported from Oz (not sure what the cost implication would be).

Otherwise, I'd recommend getting the Pedders kit from Roughtrax (they call it 40mm, in reality it's as near as dammit 2"). I think there may be some other options out there but the Pedders kit is reasonably priced and robust and above all simple, especially if you go for their pre-assembled struts. The only downside is that some people complain about the hardness of the springs, and there's a bit of truth in that. The ride is noticeably stiffer but it doesn't bother me.

The cheaper option comes with Monroe shocks, the more expensive with Pedder's branded shocks. I bough the more expensive one but I'm not sure what you get extra for an additional £60. I always ran Monroe shocks before and never had any problems.
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave can you have a look at yours and confirm.

Lenny
Wishmasteruk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 19:08    Post subject: Still some on e bay Reply with quote

Cheers guys very useful info here helped a lot

Found some on e bay 193359597298

Whats the code for front shocks im thinking might be easier to just buy some new ones for front save messing around get rear when I've broken them  Very Happy
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny. I found two grommets. One - oddly - seems to give access to the top of the coil springs (why?!). The other, larger one shows a bolt and is more-or-less where the top of the shock should be. But I don't thing that's what it is (the nut looks different and therr's a big washer). Could this be a body mount, situated just above the top of the shock absorber? TBH I've had a beer or two so this needs sober investigation  drunken
Wishmasteruk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 18:28    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

Ok next question dave  Very Happy

Whats biggest tyres i can fit with a 2" lift?
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

265/75/16 or 235/85/16, which are the same diameter more-or-less are the two sizes I have used successfully and been very happy with the performance off road and the looks of both. The first are wider and may look marginally better if your Colorado has the wheel arch extensions (which most have - but not mine!).

I think some say they have gone a little bigger, but beyond these sizes a lot seems to depend on the shape of the tyre (mud terrains take up more space than all terrains, and all vary) and perhaps on the individual adjustment of the truck's wheel alignment (there seems to be a bit of variation on this and it's a dark art). I've never risked making a mistake here and have stuck to the conservative sizes that I know will fit.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. There are literally dozens upon dozens of threads on this forum and the other UK forum about lifting and tyre sizes, so I'd suggest doing a bit of research. I'm not being dismissive; it's just that I can tell you about my experience but it has been years since I researched this stuff and settled on my particular set up and I can't remember all the various details of other people's successful set ups.

It depends what you are aiming for. If you're looking for maximum size (I know that some people run 33s or 285/75/16) or maximum lift (higher than a 2" supension lift or a body lift) you'll need to look into those other sources.

Me? I wanted a daily driver that was also nearly unstoppable on the kinds of conditions that are found on UK green lanes. That ruled out anything too extreme that would overstress any components or make the truck hard work to drive a daily commute. However it also meant enough lift to deal with 95% of the ruts or steep slopes that are found when green laning and the mud tyres to deal with anything from deep mud, rocks, and snow. Overall I'm very happy with my set up. My one caveat is that any kind of lift can make the truck feel a bit top heavy on side slopes. Adding wheel spacers might help but I have shied away from adding what might be a potential failure point. ANd the truck hasn't fallen over (yet!) despite some hairy moments, so perhaps it's all in the mind  Wink

If I had my time again I would have liked to at least test the truck out without a suspension lift, but with decent mud tyres and a working rear differential lock, just to see whether it was good enough. I jumped straight into a suspension lift becuase of my experience with the Isuzu Trooper I had before. But the Colorado is higher than a Trooper from the factory and has more clearance and probably better approach and departure angles. However with a 2" lift I feel confident charging into just about any ruts or up any slope and it looks good, so perhaps it's for the best.

One caution. Check and replace your lower ball joints. I have had one fail when on a green lane. It was not a pleasant experience and could easily have been a lot worse if I was somewhere less accessible. I don't know for sure whether a suspension lift puts more stress on them, but it's likely. However I'm aware of failures on stock vehicles and they are one of the only weak points on a Colorado. I now treat mine as a service item that I replace every couple of years.
Wishmasteruk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 0:14    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Ye thanks for the info dave its much appreciated, im gunna go 2" lift and see how i go, maybe lift the body 1" if im not happy, there are some deeo ruts round here  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: