Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Prado 120 Front underbody shield

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 14:32    Post subject: Prado 120 Front underbody shield Reply with quote

After putting this off for a while I finally decided to remove this today. It was well rotten and mostly came off in large flakes. I got three of the four bolts out so pretty good by my reckoning! Now I can underseal the car chassis that needed treatment.

Then of course I have the problem of what to put back in way of the original shield?  My offroad days are behind me so don't need super-duper, laser cut, 10mm plate. I would be quite happy to replace like with like if I  could get one - but suspect the price might be beyond me? So there we are - can anyone recommend a suitable replacement part for this very exposed piece of kit?

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 14:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a breaker is you best bet, unless you want to spend £600 and get a set from Rough Trax, they look nice but as you say probably not needed.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
wooly0000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ibex i bought a set from rough trax and as Andy says they aren't cheap, also they aren't a straight fit, they took a little bit of adapting to get them to fit, I'm not sure if they are worth replacing or not, i did mine because i was sorting the underside of the car out, its a lot of money to have hidden underneath the motor for no real reason.

The ones i bought where powder coated and before fitting them i put around 3 coates of hamerite on, they are a lot thicker than the originals and heavier, i think they were made in Russia, not sure if that makes a difference or not......
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16999&highlight=

My thread from 2017.

I would suggest you paint the plates before fitting with something better than the maker powder coats with, after a couple of winters some sections of paint have flaked off, other than that they are still fine.
Ibex

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:08    Post subject: Rotted out underbody protector Reply with quote

Having had a good look at what's available on the market, I finally decided to make my own!

I chose 3mm steel, which in hindsight may have been too thick, but it's certainly strong enough! I made patterns out of cardboard and then drew them out properly for final dimensions, then it was off to Bolton Sheet Metal, who sold me the three, laser cut pieces of sheet metal I needed, two of which had a 30 degree bend, all for £57. Had I realised at the time, these guys would have laser cut the various apertures in the plate as well for not much more. I will know next time.

The trickiest bit was making the top hat brackets for the trailing edge of the guard and then welding them accurately in place. I made the side skirts seperately, bent them at 45 degrees and "spot welded" them on (mig through a 10mm hole) and they look good. The whole thing was blathered in two coats of a very good chassis paint that looks just like powder coat when its on. Unfortunately my painting is not as good as it might be  - but full marks for thickness of paint if not finish!

I found the piece of grill mesh from a previous job so, red paint and a few rivets and it was on in the same place and size as Mr Toyota had originally drawn.

Smug mode!  Wink
wooly0000

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done ibex  Very Happy
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 23:03    Post subject: Front Underbody Shield Reply with quote

Hi Ibex,

Like most others, my front underbody shield has also completely rotted away. Being cheeky, I wonder if you still have your cardboard patterns I could borrow and copy.  I am unable to get under the car to measure myself, but if I could get the thing made could get someone to fit it.

Thanks

Dafydd  Wynn Williams  2004 SWB 49K
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daffyd,  if Ibex can't help, or you don't have access to welder for brackets etc, the ones that Juddian recommended are the buisness.
Karl and I both have them too, lot cheaper than R/T, and go straight on with no modifications. They are a fiddle getting them up due to weight, unlike the Toyota bean can jobbies, but they are well designed and engineered.
wooly0000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted mine with 3 coats of black hammarite before getting them fitted, checked it over when I was trying to change the fog light and so far no sign of rust, they were made in Russia and weighed a ton, far better than the original one.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we've all done the same thing Wooly, all helps.
Ours came from Romania by road, and got here quicker than Royal Snail can get a letter to you.
Fazza284

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58    Post subject: Skid plate for engine Reply with quote

I have just ordered a engine skid plate for my lc invincible from a company called black skid plates, they are in romenia, just wondering is this the same company you got yours from and is it any good quality wise,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fazza,
Black skid plate is a generic term used for quick reference on Google, I believe. The company is www.sump-guard.co.uk. That is where mine came from and also Karl and Juddian, the latter giving us the recommendation.
If you look back in 120 threads, you will find info by Juddian there. 2017.sorry no link.
As others, I painted before fitting, as although they are well wrapped individual components, coming that distance they get tiny chips or rub marks. Maybe even before they left the factory. As with any coating that is a weak point for moisture to get under and then rust.
Not overly thick, 2.5mm, for serious off roading, but still very strong and heavy, also has seperate bolt on plate to drain engine oil without removing anything, very useful
There is also a transmission plate available, which the others have and I don't.
On Juddians recommendations we changed the supplied hex bolts for s/s dome heads, so no chance of protruding hex heads getting snagged, only small drawback, instructions don't seem to be that clear, in print and pictures, we all had to scratch heads to get.
They seem very straight forward at first glance,- but just need thinking through as you fit the box section brackets and clamps, don't let that put you off though.
Excellent value for price, although they have gone up since we purchased. You may find you get an extra vat bill as Karl did after Brexit, he knows more about that though.
Make sure you copper grease all bolts on assembly, although s/s they are going into mildsteel, and you don't want any complications with rust if you need to remove at any time.
Fazza284

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41    Post subject: Skid plate for engine Reply with quote

Hi tractionman , thank you for the quick reply and great info, the one I have ordered is from the same people, will do what you recommend before fitting, should arrive in a weeks time, forgot about the Vat, but at £191 think it sounds reasonably priced, my lc is 15 yrs old now and the old one litterely fell off,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Fazza, I don't think you will be disappointed with it. Love the extra protection it gives mine, and yes, those factory underbody shields are made by Kellogs I think. Mine was in much the same state, as most are, especially from Scotland.
They are well made and engineered, all bolt holes line up so no struggling, they're too heavy for that.
Come back if you hit problems, when ready to fit.
Fazza284

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, thanks again,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: