Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Prado 120 Front underbody shield

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnthegrinch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:38    Post subject: 120 underbody shield Reply with quote

Hi, I have 120 underbody shield in 3mm steel, brand new and never fitted.  Any reasonable offer acceptable with a North london collection
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Fazza284

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to fit the new skid plate I got from Romania, bit of a nightmare, instructions are useless, can't understand how it's meant to fit, none of the holes line up don't know what the flat bars are for, help,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fazza, yep a right jigsaw puzzle innit ? I had mine up and down 3 times before it clicked, and instructions even with the pictures don't make sense.
The flat bars, I assume you mean the L shaped ones wi.th a threaded hole ? If so, they go on top of the crossmember L down so they can't turn, and the 80mm bolts go through the box section bit, through the crossmember, and bolt to the threaded L bracket.
The skid plate then bolts to the box section. That box section was the stumbling block for me, it can go upside down or 360 out.
Have you started from the front and worked back ?
Fazza284

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah started at the front think that  plate is secure, it's the second plate at the back iam struggling with, will have another go over weekend had to stop for now the old neck muscles feeling the strain, will take your advice and try again tomorrow or Sunday, thanks again for your help,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mate. That's the one where it all goes Pete Tong. The 1st section is the easy narrow one that protects the radiator, the 2nd section must have the box section bolted up before it on the crossmember. This is the one that can go upside down or 360 degrees out, if its not right the bolt holes on the 2nd section will not line up as you have found. Check your messages, PM sent.
Fazza284

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the L shape flat bars are used to bolt the box section to the crossmember what are the straight flat bars for, I had put them inside the Cross member where there are two holes to bolt the box section too, then when the second plate bolts on there is nowhere to bolt the plate too at the gearbox end, sorry to be a pest, just wish I could get my head round the thing.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate they dont go there, unless they changed sommat. I had 4 L brackets. IIRC, There are 2 xmembers, the box section bolts to the 1st one up through it with 80mm bolts. The last section is bolted up through the second xmember with 80mm bolts, .
It's designed that once on, the boxes and brackets don't have to be touched again. If you want to remove anything, just unholy the plates held on with the short bolts.
If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll try and get some pics and have a look, although the brackets and boxes are mostly hidden, it may let me give you a better perspective. Funny enough, I had the plates off a couple of months ago and cant remember. Must be an age thing  🤣
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't installed mine yet, but hoping to next week if the weather is OK and I'll be relying on Tractionman's help to make sense of the puzzle!!

Theres some photos here https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-sump-guard-for-toyota-land-cruiser-2002-2009
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try Karl, unfortunately they are the offending instructions that come with the kit, that don't make sense when it comes to fit.
It looks so simple from that, until you come to piece together the puzzle. We will sort that out when it comes to yours, haha.

Fazza, it's lashing down here, so I haven't got out there, sorry.
The threaded clamps /brackets go on top of the crossmembers, the crossmembers being the filling in the sandwich, so to speak.
What it doesn't show or make clear is those crossmembers, so it looks like the whole kit of parts, bolts to each other and that's all.
After bolting the first narrow skid plate to the crossbar with captive nuts already on the cruiser at the very front, then bolt the box to the next crossmember further back.
The box bolts to the 1st crossmember with the open ended slots to the top and facing the rear.
The 2nd plate with the wings and vented slots on the sides is then bolted, I.e. suspended from those two points, through the captive nuts already on the 1st plate and the box.
The 3rd piece of the plate then bolts to the rear of the 2nd plate and then to the next crossmember.
Do the all bolts up initially finger tight, to create some movement between all points. I tightened mine as I went and found I couldn't start some bolts, as they need to line up almost exactly. Leaving everything finger tight, you can push/pull/tweak it as you go, then tighten. The bolts through the box can be reached after with a spanner rather than a socket.
Awkward to explain really, as you might have gathered.
I'm not the only one to be confused by it .Once everything is on you can tighten up. If you need to remove plates at a later date, you do not have to remove any other fixings/parts, except the short bolts holding the plates on. You only need all the hassle once.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey you've got a good memory Tractionman, can only barely remember fitting mine now.

Once the front section is on if you lay the other plates on the ground in their respective places it starts to make sense.
I do recall having to cut down those short bars that slot inside one of the cross members, someone else who fitted the same kit had to do the same.

By the way, if you haven't fully fitted it yet, suggest leave it be a week or so and in the meantime give the plates a good rub down and paint them with something better, don't think they've had any primer so after one winter you'll find who sheets of that powder coating coming off with rust starting in its stead, didn't paint mine and should have, instead i now include those plates in the annual rustproofing routine.

Also, worth getting onto e bay and ordering some dome headed stainless Allen bolts, when its all fitted you will find the bolt heads sticking out underneath, particularly the small extra plate that can be removed for oil changing, easy enough to catch on rough ground, dome head Allen bolts have a better chance of sliding over.

Not complaining about the plate kit, far from it for the price its a hell of a lot better than the bit of bent tin Toyota fitted on the 120, poor show Mr T, and the radiator and sump are now protected where they weren't before.
I also bought and fitted the gearbox cover, but at the back end it needs some more support fixing to the chassis somehow, in reverse the gearbox plate could dig down into the ground too easily as it is, going forwards is OK.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good memory Jud ? He hasnt got it on yet ? Haha.
I was hoping you would come in to point out where I went wrong !
I remember you saying when you recommended them you'd had the angle grinder out or sommat, what did you cut, as I had no problems with the actual fit of the parts ?
Again good recommendations for the paint and alternative bolts, the latter making a more smooth and professional job, I already gave you the recognition on the first page, as I always do anywhere. You should be getting the cheque for the royalties, in the post any day soon mate, haha.
Hopefully Fazza will be able to work it out now, or we can cobble it together between us, Karl's is the next one with the full Monty kit.
Hope he's got plenty of tea and bacon butties.
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I braved the rain and installed mine.  F E C K
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ? You didn't invite me round for a laff ! My remembered instructions must be so good, Fazza will blitz it.
At that rate mate, you could be the go to guy for actually doing the job, Fazza's only cross country from you in Newcastle.
You were practically there a couple of weeks ago, haha.
Well done on that mate.
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha maybe I could earn a fiver!
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractionman, i reckon it was those short bars that you slot into the vehicle's cross member and then bolt into that needed to be shortened, course entirely possible i put them in the wrong place entirely and they'd have fitted fine had they actually gorn in the right spot...however now that Karl has apparently bolted his set on we can hand over to him as the font of all knowledge on these things, which is just as well cos whilst i can remember phone and reg numbers from '76 and the girl on the Tonbridge train 51 years ago  Cool  i can't remember what i did yesterday  Crying or Very sad

Neither can i recall which seller i got the Allen bolts from, told you i'm going gaga mate.

Well done Karl, thankfully now we've got someone who hasn't got the memory span of a goldfish who knows where everything goes, so over to you mate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: