4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fitting EGR plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to mention anyone doing these mods and wanting the full benefit of them like I achieved should make sure they have cleaned out the egr valve and inlet manifold entry so there is no restriction because of carbon mudcake buildup  from behind the throttle butterfly to the inlet manifold due to the mixture of exhaust gas soot   from the egr valve and oil from the PVC oil mist  .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 17:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tuskar

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonycy11 , Sounds brilliant .  My cruiser 2008 has 150k miles , the manifold and EGR was stripped and cleaned a few months ago. I simply wish to avoid a repeat  . The first 140k miles it had a different owner who did short trips on rural roads . I do mostly motorway runs of 40 mile daily and a bit of 2 ton  towing weekly. Hopefully this type of driving  suits the cruiser better, and with the blank plate hopefully avoid this happening again .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi if you are fitting a blanking plate with a 7mm hole and not a egr delete system I suggest you do not fit a oil catch can and vent the PCV to air , because the carbon coming through the egr although much less coming through the 7mm hole is abrasive and its the oil mist that mixes with the carbon that causes it to stick to the sides of the egr valve and manifold by being dry without the oil mist from the PVC the carbon go straight through into the engine and  will put wear on you inlet valves and cylinder bores and piston rings . on another note  one thing you notice is after fitting a blanking plate after and the next oil change from there on the oil stays much cleaner for longer even with a 7mm hole but to a less degree . but that does mean not that you should skimp on oil changes .
Ibex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 20:30    Post subject: EGR blanking mod Reply with quote

I happened across this thread by accident and have been fascinated! I am now keen to implement these mods as soon as possible. I have a 2005 Landcruiser with KD-FTV motor and auto box. Just turned 90k miles from new. First question; is there a kit I can buy which covers the entire mod, or is it just the blanking plate?  Is there a step by step write up of the entire package of work for a simple guy like me to follow?

Dave
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come in Tony.......😀
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can like I said early in this tread you can just fit a blanking plate with a 7mm hole at the cylinder head side of the egr cooler , but by fitting the plate with the 7mm hole it does not delete the egr valve or block the egr valve from feeding exhaust back into the engine via the inlet manifold , it just restricts it by about 50 to 60% some experts say less than that due to the   exhaust gas being pushed through under pressure by compressing the exhaust gas via the turbo , for some folk  the plate with the 7mm hole is  enough because at least it restricts it by unto  half . I suggest if you put a plate with a 7mm hole NOT to fit a oil catch if you are wanting to fit one , just like if you do not restrict the egr valve do not fit a oil catch can because with out any oil been pushed through the intercooler from the pvc vent in the cam cover that coats the throttle body , egr valve with oil and inlet to the manifold as well as  into the inlet manifold the egr gas going in the manifold to the engine will not stick to the sides but will go into the engine and as it is carbon it will wear out the inlet valves over time as well as the engine ,  if you want to delete the egr valve completely and stop all exhaust gas from going into the engine you can fit a plug and play device that switches the egr valve off with out you getting a engine warning lights which is fitted in minuets , then you can fit a full blanking plate at the cylinder head side of the egr cooler to stop the hot exhaust   pooling in the egr cooler and over heating it . you can then fit a oil catch can and get the benefits of stopping the low in oxygen hot crankcase gas and hot  exhaust gas from entering your engine so that only cool full oxygen loaded air enters your engine for more power and the turbo can spool up quicker at very low revs due to having more exhaust pressure to spin than losing some due to it going to the egr valve , look in the earlier part of this tread on finding the ozbush website who make the egr delete called the oxbush manual mapper and give step by step instructions on fitting the ozbush manual mapper as well as fitting a oil catch can and its power increase figs and benefits . as it will take too much reading for me to but it all in this comment ,
hope that helps .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

👏 Another good useful write up Tony, all based on working experience and results of the system. 👌
Ibex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:13    Post subject: EGR blanking mod Reply with quote

Thank you very much for these instructions, which I am keen to follow. I have a couple of questions: First - can you tell me what  "PCV" stands for? Second - I'm keen to do the throttle butterfly mod as well. Is this obvious when you are doing the EGR mods?

Dave
andy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this PCV
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Ibex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:15    Post subject: EGR blanking mod Reply with quote

Thank you Andy, much appreciated.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive Crankcase Ventilation, descrìption of what it does in Andys link.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply as I have just seen this , the PVC on our diesel engines are not like a petrol engine as no valve is used , its just a pipe to route for the escape of crankcase pressure to the turbo to be fed back into the engine , so that it does not blow the camcover seal or cam seal due to build up of pressure and leak engine oil out under cam cover , so its easy to unplug the rubber corner pipe at the cam cover and turn it the opposite way and  plug it there or lower down where it enters at the Turbo , then fit another pipe into the pipe with around the same internal diameter in the cam cover and route it into the inlet pipe of a oil catch can fitted to the inner wing next to the brake fluid res , make sure the the inlet and outlet pipes of the oil catch can you buy are around 15mm because a lot of oil catch cans for sale are only 9mm inlet/outlet pipes and I think will be too restrictive , then fit a pipe from the outlet pipe of the oil catch can  around 3 times  longer  on the outlet side of the oil catch can then route it across the engine bay bulkhead and route it down near the passenger side inner wing so it vents under the car , job done .  
Ibex or any one else if you want me to send you a video on whatsapp of how I did mine send me a private message on here of your mobile number if you have whatsapp and I can send you a video or other pics ,
mawdsk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent info there and glad I came across it. Was going to fit an oil catch can to see where my oil is going. Need to see if it's rings, valves, turbo or getting blown out the crank case! So without the EGR blank I can see the reason behind the carbon and oil mix. Not checked this intake yet and it's done about 220K miles. I have had it for just over 3 years now. I did do my astra that was previously a taxi with 300k on it (bargain at £500) and the carbon build up reduced the intake by 50%!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much oil are you losing because these engines do not lose much oil . even through the crank case they should not lose much oil because there is a baffle plate inside the cam cover to stop most of the oil spray and it is only the pressure built up in the crankcase that comes out of the pipe which carries oil vapor and its that oil vapor sticks to the sides of the inlet tracks that allows the carbon to stick to it and build up as it mixes with the vapor , in actual oil content in that vapor it should be less than 100 mils a year at around 6000 miles , when I open my oil catch can up once a year there is no more than 3 teaspoons of oil in the bottom of it which is around 15 mils the rest has gone through and out as oil vapor , the main reason reason for me in fitting the oil catch can is if you are venting the crankcase to air you are only allowing fresh clean cool oxygen rich air into the engine which improves the performance and smoothness of the engine , because I have blanked off the egr valve no  power robbing  exhaust gas at part throttle or cruising speed and at idle carbon can no longer enter and stick to the sides and block up  the inlet track , the egr valve automatically switchers off when accelerator is pressed firmly and automatically switches back on and helped by the throttle body butterfly that restricts incoming fresh air from your air box so that the engine has no option but to suck in the exhaust gas through the egr valve  as soon as you start to ease off the gas peddle , and that is why I have found that in blanking the egr valve with a blanking plate , the throttle body butterfly if you still have it fitted in place  is still restricting incoming fresh air at idle speed and part throttle and at cruising speeds as it is controlled in doing so by the ECU  so you will not be getting the   power and smoother engine benefits if you leave the throttle butterfly still fitted in place even though you have blanked off the egr valve and crank case to air    ,
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are losing or using a lot of oil I do not think it will be from the crank case vent , you need to check if you have any oil leaks seeping out of on the engine or turbo or is it burning up oil from inside the turbo or engine ,   these 1KD- ftv engines are notorious for not using up much oil unless something is wrong .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: