Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Front prop shaft u joint replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado93

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 17:01    Post subject: Front prop shaft u joint replacement Reply with quote

Hi all,

Recently had my sump replaced on my 2001 Colorado and to do this requires dropping the front prop, upon doing so I was informed by the garage that my front uj needed replacing urgently. They forgot to do this but I have it booked in tomorrow and I was just wondering is it a massive laborious job or fairly simple? After spending well over £1000 on the car  the other week I’m hoping not to be hit with another hefty bill just yet 😂

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 17:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually very straightforward, but you need to know how. In my experience this is beyond the capabilities of some garages and they contract the job out, all which adds to the cost. The garage I used to use - who deal with all kinds of heavy vehicles (buses lorries vans campervans etc), and who you'd expect to be familiar with replacing UJs - said they would just send it off to their guy who reconditions them. I guess that there must be so many different configurations that it's not worth their while learning each from scratch?

THere used to be one of Bob's posts on here which I used to teach myself how... but sadly we've been robbed of the photos by greedy Photobucket. I bet there's youtube vids about it though.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's ex-post
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7778&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Colorado93

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I thought that may be the case ‘straight forward if you know how’ I just hope one of the mechanics has a rough idea. I have a Haynes manual and it does have a guide on how to replace the uj so I was contemplating leaving the Haynes manual in the car and mentioning it when I drop it off, I just don’t want them to be insulted😂 nothing worse than someone telling you how to do your job!
modvrs

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got time for a few Youtube Vids;

1. The BFH method from Eric at SMA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uewFHe6H2Tw

2. The detailed explanation in a six part set from Weber State https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0RZVQQVMZs

you takes your choice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: