Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

SWB side swing door

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 17:45    Post subject: SWB side swing door Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a 2004 short wheelbase LC3. and need to fit a new rear number plate.

I have managed to undo one of the two 6mm  bolts/screws which secure the old plate, but the other is so corroded in its threaded home that the plastic??? nut has rounded and now just turns freely. I  am assuming the nut is plastic as it didn't need much force to get it to rotate

I now need to get the interior panel off to get to the nut, but see no screws to do this. Am I correct in thinking the panel is just secured by clips and can be prised off, probably breaking clips in the process.

Advice please from anyone with experience of the operation. My TLc  manual on disc doesn't cover this at all.

Dafydd   Wynn Williams
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 17:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd just get the screw out (dremel, hacksaw whatever) and use adhesive pads for the new plate.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is that the screw revolves easily (with its nut) and thus cannot be drilled out, but will have to be removed even if adhesive pads are used as it protrudes more than if the thick version pads are used.

Dafydd
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant you cut it with a dremel ?
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean a miniature circular saw, I doubt it because it revolves in place, so would just spin when the blade contacted it.

Dafydd
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe hold it still with a screwdriver or some pliers while you cut it?
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the SWB, but on the LWB its easy to get the trim off the back door.  Remove the toolkit, remove the internal handle, then there is one screw behind a cover in the net section.  Then just pull the trim off - dont worry too much about the clips, they're pretty tough.  I've removed mine quite a few times and havent had a broken clip.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a Dremel tool and just slice it off , I always use double sided foam tape like M3 to fix on number plates , I hate messing with holes in bodywork as any movement or vibration and water  courses the the bodywork around it to rust , and if I do need to use holes I put plenty of cooper ease on both sides of the holes ,
I have never had to remove the back door trim so did not know it was that easy thanks for that Karl ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dafydd,
As Tony and Karl have said, Dremel is your friend here. Taking the trim off as already described, is probably your best, maybe only option if you cannot operate from the front. Seized and knackered nuts and bolts are always problematic, when access is needed both sides.
Once you can hold either end with pliers, grips etc as suggested, then careful slicing with Mr Dremel will will sort it.
On small items like these, its just a matter of slow and steady with the cuts, pausing so you can see if you need to adjust angle of attack.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your response, just the very info I require. I will have a go later today. Just one further point, the No plate is fixed to an add-on plastic panel on the outside of the main door, can you recollect if this is easily (bolted/clipped) detachable from the metal door?

My reason for preferably not fixing the rear No plate with adhesive pads is that I have for many years used the stainless steel sprung loaded brackets to hold rear No plates.  These brackets are fixed with bolts or screws.  I have three different trailers, so when each is in use (not frequently) I simply unclip the vehicle plate and fit it to the trailer!  My 'cherished' plate , 1 DWW, was bought from a friend 55 years ago for £5, but now exceeds the value of my vehicles many times!
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:

Just one further point, the No plate is fixed to an add-on plastic panel on the outside of the main door, can you recollect if this is easily (bolted/clipped) detachable from the metal door?

Hi Dafydd,

I think your SWB will have the spare wheel on the back door?  If so, thats a different design to mine which has the wheel underneath.  But on mine, there is a plastic plate which is clipped into the metal door - you could only really remove it by either removing the trim then releasing the clips from behind.

I was looking at removing it at one point because my number plate was originally riveted onto it (thanks for that!) - but in the end I just drilled the rivets out and used adhesive pads.

What a great story about the £5 plate!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: