NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1HD-FTE oil pressure help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 15:24    Post subject: 1HD-FTE oil pressure help please Reply with quote

Hi folks, I hope you are well. Would somebody be kind enough to try and help me with a 1HD-FTE question?
I recently bought a 240000 mile Landcruiser with no service record. It goes really well, with no smoking issues, plenty of power and doesn’t burn oil. I’ve fully serviced it with correct grade oil and Toyota parts.
My query is this;  if the engine is cold or under load I get an oil pressure reading of just under the half way mark on the dash. However, when the engine has warmed up, like when driving though town at low rev’s the oil pressure reading drops to the lowest (first) mark. More worryingly, if I start the car when the engine is warm, say after a journey, the gauge does not move at all and will sit ticking over at the bottom of the gauge. It rises when I rev it.   There are no undue engine noises and the motor ‘seems’ healthy enough.
Is showing no oil pressure when warm on tick-over a sign of an engine problem in your experienced opinion?
Thank you for your help with this question.  
SeanK
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 15:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

sal77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SeanK

Mine has done the same for the past 4 years or so (maybe even longer). It bothered me a lot at first but now I don't even notice it. I have seen the same on another one too. If it sounds and drives well then don't worry. I suspect it is a faulty oil pressure sensor but I never changed it.

Mine has just passed the 200k mark and still sounds the same as it did at at 70k. Enjoy the beast is all I can say.  Smile
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22    Post subject: Re: 1HD-FTE oil pressure help please Reply with quote

[quote="SeanK"]Hi folks, I hope you are well. Would somebody be kind enough to try and help me with a 1HD-FTE question?
I recently bought a 240000 mile Landcruiser with no service record. It goes really well, with no smoking issues, plenty of power and doesn’t burn oil. I’ve fully serviced it with correct grade oil and Toyota parts.
My query is this;  if the engine is cold or under load I get an oil pressure reading of just under the half way mark on the dash. However, when the engine has warmed up, like when driving though town at low rev’s the oil pressure reading drops to the lowest (first) mark. More worryingly, if I start the car when the engine is warm, say after a journey, the gauge does not move at all and will sit ticking over at the bottom of the gauge. It rises when I rev it.   There are no undue engine noises and the motor ‘seems’ healthy enough.
Is showing no oil pressure when warm on tick-over a sign of an engine problem in your experienced opinion?
Thank you for your help with this question.  

Hi SeanK,

You have nothing to worry about IMHO, the Land Cruiser 100 oil pressure guage is notoriously inaccurate, as you can see from the FSM, the pressure is only 4.3 psi at idle, so 4.3 psi will hardly register, my 100 with only 90,000 miles has the same oil pressure as yours, I don't think there's any problem with either your OP guage or sender unit.

I tried to post some pages from my FSM for you to look at, but couldn't work out how to transfer them from my PC to this post (keeps asking for a URL) all I wanted to do was drag and drop.

So I copied and paste the info below, with no pictures.

Allow the engine to warm up to normal operating temperature.
CHECK OIL PRESSURE
Oil pressure:
At idle: 29 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi) or more.
At 3,000 rpm:250 − 600 kPa (2.5 − 6.1 kgf/cm2, 36 − 87 psi)
SeanK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 20:40    Post subject: 1HD-FTE oil pressure help please Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies. I knew from reading other posts that the oil pressure sensor and gauge were not so accurate on these vehicles. It is still disconcerting to see it register zero when warm on tick -over. I feel more reassured having read your replies. I probably will buy a new sensor for it when I get enough money together as I would feel more assured with oil pressure showing. I since have had it checked with a mechanical oil pressure gauge and there is oil pressure even though none is showing on the dash.
Thanks again for your help and happy motoring.
SeanK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: