2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Slow starting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should always wait for the glow plug light to switch off before starting the engine , no doubt you know this already after its been left a while like over night
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 21:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

timbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how pressure is developed, as I understand it, the pump sucks fuel from the tank, excess being returned under low pressure,  strangely, I have had this car 14 years and have never waited for the glow plug light to go out, it has always started on 1 or 2 bananas!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you say the engine runs fine after it is started leads me to think it is the weak batteries that are not spinning the engine over , how old are the batteries , I have tried leaving the fuel cap off for 1 hour and it started fine on my 120 but I got a engine light come up , so it wont be because of the Evap system air leak that is the longer cranking to start that you have , most other reasons for longer time to start would also give engine running symptoms , and glow plugs on theses cars are not known to fail . is your fuel filter clean and if your injectors and scv are still original and never been changed are likely to need replacement as well as the injector seals will likely need replacing as they will leak combustion and block your oil pick up in the sump ,  as well as a egr and inlet tract will need cleaning as it will be likely to be bunged up as well as the map filter will need changing as they crack with age and give a wrong reading to the map sensor . these cars are reliable and durable but after 18 years will need such maintenance that I have listed above for sure .
timbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

engine runs fine which leads me to think injectors etc are fine, mine is an early car which didnt suffer the injector seals problem, I have inspected the pick up pipe and its as clean as a whistle. I cant see how any of these things could cause a time related starting issue. The engine seems to spin over well. I must confess that the fuel filter hasnt been changed in a while though. I read a thread somewhere of a similar problem, to test it was fuel related he connect a can of fuel directly to the inlet of the fuel filter and it started perfectly. so there are a few things I can try. Ive been spannering for over 40 years and feel sure I'd recognise a battery issue. Thanks for your input so far.
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Tony has said everything there, there is so much on this thread!

Sometimes the fuel filter housing can leak vacuum as well, especially if some hamfisted *beep* cross threads the filter, which happened on mine just before I bought it!

If you change the fuel filter you can check the seal at the same time.

SCV... has it ever been changed?  Is it the short one or the red/green pair?

To rule out the battery issue stick a hefty jump pack on it for additional umfff when you start it.

Be handy to get some decent diagnostics out of the thing!  Is the check engine light always on now?
timbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl2000, thanks for your reply, i dont think I'm familiar with a SCV, good call re the battery pack, CEL not on.
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SCV is on the high pressure pump; the older types are short and they were redesigned as longer ones to be more reliable.

Some info in these videos.  If you replace it, make sure you get the right one for your motor, as theres a few different types.

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/search/suction-control-valve/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfnlUCgcAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy79uqnrerY
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 1KD engines will have injector seal issues after a length of time because they erode away with time no matter what age they were made , in fact the earlier ones with the copper seats that did not have the silver aluminum looking coating over them do not last as long as the later ones that have it . Toyota insist that the injector seals are changed every 40k miles when the inlet and exhaust valves gaps are inspected . What can happen if it is not the batteries or SCVs is if the egr is very built up with carbon badly it can cause the egr valve to stick in the open position making it a bit harder for the engine to start when the engine is cold , and also some people have had the electric valve thing on the fuel filter housing stick although that problem usually means the engine is difficult to start , when I cleaned out the EGR and inlet that goes to the manifold on my 120 at 69k miles I filled a cereal dish with Carbon sludge , so at 185k you should have a lot more than that in yours if it has never been cleaned . one easy quick thing you can try doing is clean your maf sensor with maf sensor cleaner , if it has not been done for a long while as it could have dirt on it that is causing the maf sensor giving the wrong reading .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

're the maf sensor, although I had no trouble with mine, I cleaned it anyway. There was quite a bit of grime on it and it came up looking new. Call it preventative maintenance.
I didn't have sensor cleaner, so I used switch cleaner aerosol squirted in the lid, then gently over and over cleaned it all with cotton buds dipped in it.
Be very gentle if you do it this way, as it is a 'fragile' part.
As per Karl, the scv issue always seems to crop up eventually on these engines, and can give varied problems throughout, including poor or non starting. Injectors/seals have their own problems too, as per Tony.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring to Tractionman's post earlier, advising not to renew only one battery rather than the pair, I have been cogitating on this (see my question on BATTERY iSOLATION earlier today) and wondering if I found that one battery seemed sound, was it a good idea just to replace the dud one?  At £90 each I didn't want to spend needlessly!

After a full recharge by charger, the pair loose about 0.3V a day standing.

Anyone else have any view on the folly of single replacement?

Dafydd   Wynn Williams,  2004 SWB 49K
karl2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dafydd,

TM is spot on - don't replace one.  Because they are electrically wired in parallel, you want batteries of the same type the same capacity and preferably the same age.

One knackered battery will tend to pull the other one down, so you done want a brand new one and a half dodgy one.

If you really don't want the expense of two batteries, you can disconnect the parallel batteries and can actually start the truck on one battery - but it must be a big one.  However, on a cold morning, you might wish you had two.  If you leave your lights on for 3 hours, you will definitely wish you had two.  

Having said that, people do use one in the UK and its OK - usually because they want to use the other side for a leisure battery or something.

Personally I'd put a decent matched pair in and forget it for another 5 years....
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do 1 now, you will be replacing both later on. Sure there is cost to be taken into consideration, but in simple economic terms,
buy 2 now, rather than what could be 3 later. Thats the 1 first purchased, then the 2 to replace those when that goes down.with the other original. Thats assuming 1 or even both your batteries are goosed.
The 0.3v you are looking at standing, is that with the batteries disconnected from each other and the lc ? If they are still connected, you have to take into account small drain for alarm/immobiliser if armed, and anything else you may have not switched through the ignition that may be 'on'. And of course, if 1 battery is not up to par, it could be leeching power from the other..
wooly0000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl my fog lights weren't any easier I've had to book her into the garage to get it changed after struggling to get it out, ordered a new one for around £46, but a BIG thanks for the advice really appreciate it  Very Happy
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooly, you should have asked for a loan of Karl's BFH !
I've had 1 in the garage to replace for the last year, and never got around to it, I've had other challenges !!
At least yours is in hand.
karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooly sorry to hear that mate, I just remember they were an absolute *beep*!

Toyota do have some daft designs sometimes dont they!  Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: