Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Slow starting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Beep* ? That's not what you told me.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 21:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha must be some censorship gong on... I didn't type that either!!!
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 22:02    Post subject: single battery replacement Reply with quote

Thanks Karl & Tractionman for your reasoned advice, looks like the decision has been endorsed by my bus.

Charged the batteries last Fri, went to use it tis morn, not enough power to turn it over.  had to put on charge to start it.  Back on charge overnight now and will disconnect one battery from the circuit  in am and likewise for the other in a couple of days, just to make sure it is the batteries and not some mysterious usage I am not aware of.

Nothing I can think of is 'on', cept clock and security, and key out, no lights on and doors fully shut.  Experiments may give answer.

Dafydd   Wynn Williams
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd, it seems without further testing with appropriate meter, your batteries have deteriorated, from a slow start to a non start, despite charging them.
An easy check you can do, when it doesn't have enough grunt to turn, is jump it from a power pack or another vehicle.
That was the clincher with mine. They appeared to hold 12v plus, the useless green lights were showing on both batteries, but it would hardly turn. That was in spite of checking and cleaning up all associated connections. I jumped it from my wife's car, and it started instantly. 2 new batteries, problem solved. Have a go and come back.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tractionman,

Batteries on charge overnight, 20A 'smart??' charger dropped to trickle by this am, connected jump leads to another vehicle and disconnected both TLc batteries.  Within very short time the RH battery down to 11.8 volts, LH battery stable at 12.7 V. so looks like RH battery is completely knackered.

Will leave it for a day to confirm, and will get two new batteries from Tayna (about 30 miles away) when I can combine the trip with another use, the 'good' LH battery can be used for electric fences.

In the meantime if initial result confirmed  will leave the RH battery disconnected so as not to drag down the LH one. Will report further when new batteries installed.

Dafydd    Wynn Williams
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Dafydd. You are at least confirming your own deductions, and we all want to be sure before parting with hard earned.
It's the right hand one directly connected to starter that takes most of the grunt, and being handed, cant easily swap over anyway.
If one is down that's it pretty much, and good idea to keep other for electric fences.
Tayna has always been my choice for all sorts of batteries, although many other suppliers out there.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: