Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Black smoke

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18    Post subject: Black smoke Reply with quote

Do you need to now & again drive them hard get black smoke out clear it out or is it something more serious I had a Land Rover Discovery & I drove that like a old man & that needed a good clear out my Range Rover didn’t does the land cruiser need it
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at simple things to start, i.e. when was your oil, filter, air filter and diesel filter last changed ?
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tractionman just ordered some filters from roughtrax & Milner Off Road Basically start from the beginning I suppose with a new vehicle it’s only done 65,000 miles which is quite low for an 05 plate but yes you’re right oil.filters at least I know where I’m starting from then great site plus great advice 👍
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very low miles, that. Sometimes less miles is not so good if it stands for long periods, so a good long run may well blow out the cobwebs, and always good with a 'new' motor to go through the basics, especially if no service history, that would include cam belt.
Have a look at the condition of the maf sensor too, for grime build up. They can be cleaned as in posts on another thread here.
Even if those don't cure the black smoke problem, its not money wasted, and we can go from there.
Although not a direct influence on the engine, did you think about checking the cabin pollen filter for debris ?
We're only too happy to help on here, let us know how you get on.
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info I will check it out I did change the cabin filter last month very dirty not happy with Filter from Milner it would hardly fit the one that came out looked totally different I do find it quite thirsty to be honest had Range Rover 3.6 v8 before but we won’t talk about that mistake 😂 but I will check out those things you pointed out it is low mileage & I do agree not always the best when it’s been stood for years thanks for your help Tractionman ⭐️
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t find post for cleaning maf sensor been through quite a few posts no luck can you send me link if possible thanks
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, not just Milners, but a lot of non genuine parts don't fit quite right, it's all a bit of a lottery really, and all boils down to price. I have used non genuine parts in the past, but I always go with genuine oil and filters though.
As you find it a bit thirsty, coupled with black smoke, that could change with new oil and and all filters + maf sensor clean
The mileage is nowhere near when injectors could be playing up, so fingers crossed......  We are happy to help.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry just spotted your post re maf sensor. It was probably hidden amongst a load of other stuff on the same posts.
On top of the air filter box, there is a small box with wires going into it, just remove the multi connector and unclip plastic cap to expose it, and with cotton buds and switch cleaner or proper maf cleaner (more expensive), gently clean the interior and tge small 'bulb' shaped item in there. Be very gentle with it though, if it is particularly grimey, do it several times, do not rub hard.
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks will give it a go & lesson learned with no genuine filters thanks
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mate, youre welcome. There are plenty of people running aftermarket filters, so its not a definate no no, just my way of working.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't been tinkered with has it?
Have a look down at the main high pressure fuel pump connector, see if someone has fitted one of these alleged tuning boxes, it'll usually be connected by a cable and connector to the pump and the standard wiring loom connector inserted into the tuning box instead of directly into the back of the pump, often a plastic bodied unit a little thicker than a box of Swan Vestas...other more sophisticated tuning kits involve getting feed from the throttle pedal etc so more wiring involved.

Our D4D's don't issue any black smoke, in fact no smoke at all of any colour but plenty of condensation on cold mornings, unless there's either something wrong (ie an injector sticking) or someone has attempted to get more HP out of it.
Tuning boxes usually have several different settings so if there is one you could dial it down, or, as i would, remove it altogether.

If there's nothing odd fitted, and checking the basics and giving it a service as Tractionman rightly suggests first off makes no difference i would get someone knowledgeable to read the diagnostics re fuelling.
Suggest do not leave it black smoking because excess fuel loading can lead to cracked pistons on these, you'll find the Aussie Youtube channel Fourby4Diesel a mine of information, he's most disparaging about such things as remaps and so called tuning boxes.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Juddian , these engines unlike other diesels do not emit black smoke unless the injectors are worn out and letting out too much fuel for longer periods , as black smoke is because too much fuel , these tuning boxes are just a simple device that depending on what setting you have them on tell the ECU to allow the injector to stay open for longer periods so more fuel is squirted in , and in many cases way too much when on a high power setting , so on full throttle can cause the engine to go into limp mode , our engine has a tolerance of + or - 20 % of out of range parameters before the engine light lights up and 21% goes into limp mode , so like Juddian said check for tuning box , usual place to find the tuning box is next to or close to the engine fuse box the box is usually black and always has a lead with connector attached to the fuel rail at the pressure connection,  if none it is probably a injector problem ,  or the air filter is almost completely blocked or the maf sensor is way out of calibration (faulty) and telling the ecu  way more air is going into the engine than actually is and the ecu is telling the injectors to pump extra fuel in to match the figures the maf sensor is providing ,
Hambo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks both of you I will take a look today
Hambo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about fuel what do you use cheap or brand ie shell & do you put in Cleaning additives
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good advice for you there Hambo. Don't feel overwhelmed by the amount of incoming, just work methodically at your own pace, and you will get there. You can always come back for clarification on anything.
Fuel. I tend to put any diesel in, wherever I am and need it. Never had any issues, even with my 78. I do however put a bottle full of Forte in the tank once a year, usually in the run up to mot.
My 78 years ago had continual emissions issues, come mot, that were solved with Forte by my mate and garage owner. I've just carried on the tradition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: