4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Ultrasonic Engine Clean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgydd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 21:01    Post subject: Ultrasonic Engine Clean Reply with quote

I've owned a 2007 Landcruiser 120 LC5 (VXL) auto in Spain from new.
It has full Toyota service history, and covered just over 200.000KM (120.000 Mls)
When driving on cruise up a steep hill on the motorway doing 120Km/h (80mph) suddenly it came OFF cruise and 4 Amber lights came in including engine management. It stopped and idled perfectly, but I called the breakdown recovery. The Toyota main dealer has reset the ECU but has stated they need it in for 4 days to do an ultrasonic engine clean at a cost of around 800€. This is a well maintained low mileage vehicle, is this normal???
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 21:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds odd to me, why did they say why they need to do that?

What was the fault code that caused the engine light?  (Ask them if they haven't told you, then you can post it here for a view)

Has the engine light come back on, or has it stayed off since they reset it?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your 120 a petrol or diesel engine .
dodgydd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl2000 wrote:
Sounds odd to me, why did they say why they need to do that?

What was the fault code that caused the engine light?  (Ask them if they haven't told you, then you can post it here for a view)

Has the engine light come back on, or has it stayed off since they reset it?

The main dealers didn't say much at all TBH, and certainly didn't mention the fault code. The mechanic worked on the car 10 mins revving it hard then took it out for a 30 min test drive, then was fit to drive again.

It goes in today for this work along with a new lhs wheel bearing which has become louder & louder over the last year.

I am contemplating fit a oil catch can to this LC with 173 bhp, and our other 3 Toyotas, 2 D-4Ds a 2006 Avensis 126 bhp manual, a 2005 Corolla 116bhp manual and a 2005 Corolla 1.4 petrol manual. Any advice or tips on this modification will be more than appreciated.
dodgydd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
Is your 120 a petrol or diesel engine .

It is a 2007 diesel 173 bhp auto.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do they mean by a ultrasonic clean , if they are saying a complete strip down of the throttle body , egr valve  and inlet to the manifold , of which I agree will be choked up with carbon sludge due to the egr valve allowing exhaust back into the engine together with oil from the crankcase vent mixing together and creating a carbon mud mix that sticks to the sides of the inlet from the inside of the throttle body down to the inlet manifold  , no matter how well your 120 is maintained , BUT it dont take 4 days to clean , it takes I day to strip down and clean  and resemble by a diyer so should be quicker by a professional . something you can do yourself if you are a diy type of person , no parts are needed if you are not rough with the steel gaskets so the cost is nothing just your time spent doing it  , after cleaning most people delete the egr valve with a electronic device (there are at least two types you can buy that are proven to work ) and fully blank  off the egr valve so it will stay clean so you never have to clean it all again , or you can fit a blanking plate with a 7mm hole in the middle and restrict the egr gas some what going in , with out having to fit a electronic egr valve delete ,
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fit a catch can dont bother with those expensive ones with the filters inside , they just block up and will give you problems , just fit the 20 euro type alli billet type that you see on e bay , but make sure you get the ones with 15mm inlet outlet pipes , because many are only 9mm and they will be too restrictive , I have had one in my 120 for over six years now ,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: