Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Battery capacity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:50    Post subject: Battery capacity Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just fitted a new pair of Varta 95Ah/ 830A batteries in direct replacement of the pair of same which were on the car when acquired,  but notice that they are about 30mm longer than the plastic 'drip' tray and I suspect slightly lower than the originals.

Nothing in the handbook about capacity (or dimensions).  

Anyone know what Toyota fitted/reccomend for a 2004 24D SWB  please?  Tayna website no help.

Dafydd   WW
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dafydd,

Good to hear you got some batteries sorted.

My batteries (Yuasa) are a bit longer than the tray too, but as long as theyre away from the top radiator hose, secure and not rubbing on anything, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think Roughtrax has got the original batteries here - you can check the dimensions in the specs.

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/genuine-toyota-battery-right-hand-twin-setup.html
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Dafydd, presume your problem is solved with battery replacement.  As Karl says, don't worry about overhang, mine do too.
I had some 3mm aluminium sheet laying about, and cut to fit battery trays and batteries initially, but then thought that there would be corrosion problems, so didnt bother. I suppose if you were really concerned, stainless steel would be better, - at a further  cost.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl and Tractionman for your responses. I checked on the Roughtrax site and they give a capacity of 70A, quite a lot less than those I have fitted but similar in physical size except 35mm shorter.

I was just curious to know what Toyota  considered an adequate capacity.  Very odd that there is nothing in the handbook, info on specific gravity, charging and connecting but no mention of capacity!

Ah well,

Dafydd   WW
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is, and a theory or my personal take on it is, Toyota looked at lowest temperatures in the country that a particular model is designated for, Uk, Iceland or Africa (for arguements sake) and spec a battery size in a/h and c/c etc to suit. That gives them the cheapest option.
At that point the cruiser is new and should be operating perfectly, so minimum effort required at given temperatures to turn over and start. There is of course, the difference in price, which can be a consideration, but I would always pay the small extra involved, knowing the batteries are 'over specced' and more than capable in all weathers. Cruisers are reliable vehicles, and they, meaning us, dont want to be let down by 'puny' batteries. 3lt diesels need some turning, especially in cold weather.
Bigger a/h and more importantly c/c are good in my book, as the cruisers components wear with age, fuel/starting systems, for instance, more grunt and longer turnover may be required in different weathers, especially when the temperatures plummet.
Batteries don't perform well in very cold temps, and do not operate efficiently in those circumstances, and a  near instant start doesn't hammer the battery, starter motor etc, therefor good all round as long as the rest is regularly serviced to schedule inc right grade oils.
You've got the batteries now Dafydd, don't give them a second thought, the extra capacities will stand you in good stead over the years..
karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with TM!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with traction mans statement also
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: