Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Soaking wet footwell

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muckle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:12    Post subject: Soaking wet footwell Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Need some expert advice. I have a 2006 120 Invincible and the driver's side footwell is always soaking wet under the carpet. Last year when I discovered how wet it was I pulled back the carpet and found that the floor around the drain plug had corroded so badly that I needed to cut some of it out an patch it.

Well the issue persists and I need to find the cause before I run in to more corrosion problems.

I have checked the sunroof drains and they seem to be OK and I'm not seeing any obvious issues with the windscreen.

The water does not seem to be coming from the bulkhead or from the door side of the footwell - but more as if it is coming from centre console side if you follow me. Aircon drain? I never use the air con because a). I live in Scotland and b). I needs a recharge and never cools the air anyway.

Here is my question. I have been trying to get the carpet up more fully so I can trace the source but I just can't seem to work out how to get the footrest next to the break pedal off. I have tried pulling hard but it seems to be bolted on from the inside or something. I don't want to break it by just pulling harder and harder.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the footrest and get the carpet back away from the centre console so I can give myself a fighting chance of finding and fixing the leak?

Also - obviously - any suggestions as to the cause of the leak and how it might be fixed.

I have just dropped £800 on getting a load of work done and now want to get the car back to a condition that I'm not ashamed of!

Also, the car is generally parked on a slight slope with the driver side lower than the passenger side - and even then the water is largely in the centre of the footwell rather than towards the driver's door - which suggest to me that it is probably coming from the centre console and running down hill - but of course I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the plastic windscreen cowl off (think you might need to remove the wiper arm from memory, but could be wrong) and make sure its all clear in there, and not blocked up with leaves.  Worth doing anyway, but that would be my step one!
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way - to answer your footrest question, it just clips on.  Have a look here to see what you're dealing with:

https://www.e bay.co.uk/itm/192512086458
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Karl is correct, wiper arms off first for that, and a good easy place to start.
As for carpet removal, on the lc3 lc4 etc, from the very front to start of load space, it's in one piece, held down by seats, centre console etc.
Not sure if it's the same on Invincible, TonyC would know if hes watching.
Muckle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice so far.

Some progress - but one step forward two back type of progress.

The foot rest does in deed pop off - but mine only popped off when the moulded plastic section that receives the clip system snapped off! Some gluing required now but I can deal with that later.

I now have the carpet up and for the life of me I can't see where the water in coming from.

Tried to take the windscreen wipers off so that I could remove the windscreen cowl but they are not for moving even after takin off the retaining nuts. I suspect a few taps with a hammer might loosen them up but I don't want goose the wiper motor or anything like that.

For now I think I'll go back to basics and start pouring water along the front of the windscreen cowl and see if I can detect any ingress. At least that might give me a clue as to where the leak is.

I'll report back if I find anything.
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember I had to give mine a bit of persuasion with a hammer and a block of wood!  Don't give up!

The other thing you might want to think about is an ultrasonic leak detector to check around your doors and windscreen.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the wipers are in the held back position OFF the screen, to decrease the pressure and angle, then use both hands to wiggle and pull. The nearside you virtually have to lay on the bonnet. Various puller are no help either, there is not enough room around the plastic.
As Karl says, a block of wood if you're going to tap at the spindle, no BFH !
Muckle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

Watering can all over the windscreen and windscreen cowl yielded no obvious clues and the carpet around the centre console is dry.

Managed to get the floor mounted flat wide air distribution pipe off so I could see the whole floor and really I'm no closer to finding to source. It's is almost like I have a natural spring rising from the lowest part of the floor! But of course that is where the water will always end up so more detective work required.

Leak detector looks good. Maybe I can find a local garage that has one - coz they ain't cheap.

Lower door seals look ok but that's no guarantee that they are I suppose.

Might start it up later and put the air con on to see if any drips appear.

Meanwhile I have a few towels under the carpet to absorb the water from the carpet.
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a leak detector for £45 from amazon when I was tracing a similar thing.

I ended up replacing all the rubber trims around the windows and that sorted my problem - which was more condensation rather than a flooded footwell.  

Another thought, make sure the rubbers are properly in place in the roof gutters too.  Remember footwells tend to get wet even if the water is coming in from elsewhere!  That gravity is a *beep*.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muckle, should have said wiggle and pull at the base/spindle end of wipers, NOT the arms.
I'm sure you knew that, but just to clarify.  Mine came off that way.
As Karl mentioned the gutter rubbers, it reminded me that sometimes the area where the roof rails are bolted can sometimes leak, that normally shows up before wet gets to the carpets though.
Unless you have an a/c leak, unlikely from what you say, as it needs a recharge, the condense drain comes from the engine bay.
Water leaks into the cabin are notoriously difficult to pinpoint, as per Karl, gravity plays an important part, and leaks dont always manifest themselves at the point of entry, they 'track' from one point to another, (path of least resistance) until it can pool.
Good luck with your exploration.
Muckle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

So one other possibly dumb question. In the footwell there are three rubber drain plugs - all of them in place. Am I likely to let more water in than out if I remove the one at the lowest point of the footwell?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion Muckle, yes, if it's raining. There is very little of the underside that remains dry if any when driving in rain + spray chucked up by others and youself and puddle splashes.
Hang around for other comments/opinions  🤔
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muckle, BTW there are no dumb questions, learning days we all have. 😉
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 inviceble is a lc4 with a power chip, are you sure you have checked its not leaking from the sun roof , have you spayed water around the roof, have you checked the smell that the leak is not coolant from the heater matrix  , like Karl and traction man said   check the door and roof trim by spraying a water hose around them ,
Muckle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the addition advice Guys,

I'll check the sunroof and drains again tomorrow. Actually the sun roof won't open properly at the moment - sounds like a plastic gear is worn or something. That is another job I need to get on to!  Headliner seems to be dry at any rate. The liquid in the footwell seems to be water rather than coolant.

Will also look at the roof rails as I have not really checked these yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: