4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Soaking wet footwell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

An air line is a great idea tracktion man😃
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 22:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Muckle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..............

Sunroof situation.

Took the roof off again, removed the motor to free up the slide mechanism and then cleaned, lubricated and loosened it all up.

Tested motor without re-connecting it to the sunroof mechanism and all good.

Connect the motor back up and just got click, grind whirr etc. Inspected the worm drives in the roof that the motor cog connects to and they are stripped.

So I just put the sunroof guides in to the "closed" position, put the roof back on, put the motor back in place but did not connect it electrically. Now I have a sunroof that is at least in the right position but it has opened for the last time sadly. Not going to the expense of getting the whole thing replaced.

Which brings me back to the leak in the footwell - which is as yet un resolved. Th sunroof drains seem to work but so I'll keep a watching brief on this.

Does anyone know exactly where these drains exit under the car? I removed the side steps this morning as well - because the brackets are rusted - so I have a better view of the underside now. If I can find the exit points I can try to run strimmer cord up in to them from underneath to see if I can clean then out more thoroughly.

All in all my usual DIY efforts. Set out to fix one issue, find tons more, fix a few, screw a few other things up and basically end up in the same place that I started minus quite a lot of skin on my knuckles and not much weekend left!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done in your efforts so far Muckle, shame your thoughts about cogs being stripped were confirmed..
I believe the electric sunroof mechanism, as it gets to the last stage of sliding closed, also pulls it down to seal, just make sure it is down with your manual efforts and test with watering can. If not watertight, duct tape is your friend as a temporary fix.
Should you decide to replace any components, Bradford 4x4 spares are always breaking 120 series on e bay, and I have had good parts and service from them.
Again would need to be confirmed, but daft as it seems many sun roof drains, exit down the door pillars, then into the sills, to then run away out that drain holes there, make sure they are all free anyway, there are several each side if you lay down and look at the seam where inner meet outer sills.
You are not alone with your efforts of fixing one problem, finding others too. Although on the whole, a capable and reliable vehicle,
welcome to 120 ownership. 😀😀
Muckle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks for all the help.

I think I'm about there.

I used this picture to work out where to lock the sunroof mechanism.

https://www.spam/community/attachments/img_20160507_141446-jpg.49229/

When I set the runners to the "Alignment Marks" shown in the pic below then the sun roof is in the closed position. I'm guessing that is what they are for. Anyway the roof looks nicely closed. It may even be that because the worm gears were stripped that the sunroof was not previously in the perfectly correct closed position hence the leaks.

Drain holes are running freely and water drains out of the sills so I'm hoping that this could be issue solved - or at least not made any worse by my recent efforts.

I'll keep the carpets up and see if I get more water in the footwell. Won't have to wait long - I'm in Scotland so rain is seldom more that a few hours away!

My gut tells me that one of the drain tubes has come lose somewhere in the A pillar but I'll wait for a while before tackling that.

Prefer the car with the sidesteps removed too, and I can't be bothered to shell out £140 for a new set of brackets. Might do that another time.

Thanks again for all the friendly advice. No doubt I'll be back, as Arnie says.

Muckle
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good result all in all then. 😁
A few people have removed the sidesteps and prefer the look. Mine are off due to rust problems and awaiting my fitment of new S/S ones, and yes, the price for replacement brackets are ridiculous. Expense of which, I wouldn't want either.
That Scottish weather and salt is well aggressive on underside, don't ask how I know ! 🤐
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: