Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Diesel that has been stored in plastic jerry can for 18 mos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axelgrinder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 17:58    Post subject: Diesel that has been stored in plastic jerry can for 18 mos Reply with quote

Dear All,

During this current diesel supply situation which seems to be particularly bad here in Surrey - should I risk using some diesel that has been stored for 18 mos in a plastic jerry can in the garage (5 litres) and add to my vehicle’s tank which is below a quarter full

Would it be an idea to buy a stabiliser additive and add to the diesel in the jerry can such as ‘sta-bil diesel’ or is it too late for that

I have read that the additives should be added prior to storage - would it be a waste of time adding now?

Grateful for any thoughts

Hope everyone out there can get by till the situation eases - good luck
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 17:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's been in a tightly sealed container I wouldn't hesitate to use it as it is. I spent a few years in the fuel quality section of BP at one time if that helps.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no particular expertise in the matter, but it is usually said that diesel is far more forgiving than petrol when it comes to storage. Diluted with at least some fresh fuel I doubt you will have any problems, and the with the quantities you describe the old stuff will be a small proportion. Certainly I've filled up with jerry cans that I've stored for six to twelve months and never noticed an issue. A friend once bought a rough-running Cherokee cheaply. It had a quarter of a tank of very old diesel (it had sat for over a year, possibly a lot longer). When he topped up the tank with fresh fuel it ran perfectly. Note it was still running with the old fuel, albeit a little roughly. (And enough for it to be a bargain price!)
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer, tip it in mate, as DD says, small amount in proportion. What  I would do however if it has been sat in an unheated garage overv a winter, strain it first in case there are 'lumps' due to waxing.
axelgrinder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tractionaman, diggerdave and modvrs - really appreciate all your input - will give it a quick strain just in case its lumpy or gummed up
Very Best
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply axelgrinder, we all do our best on tlocuk to help each other where we can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: