Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Alloys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hambo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Alloys Reply with quote

Nice set of alloys have come up with good AT tyres on but the size are 255/60/18
6 stud would they fit or am I asking for trouble
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hambo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 13:22    Post subject: Re: Alloys Advice Reply with quote

Hambo wrote:
Nice set of alloys have come up with good AT tyres on but the size are 255/60/18
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 13:27    Post subject: Re: Alloys Advice Reply with quote

Hambo wrote:
Hambo wrote:

Hi I think we heard you the first time but depends what your original wheels are ie pcd, (with that you could always try them) and if a different size you just need to
get a size converter and get the correct tyres so that it is the correct rolling circumference
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer, a bit of echo crept in there 😃 done it myself when too vigorous with the submit button.
Sound advice from RADIOTWO, Hambo. PCD important, as even if replacements are 6 stud, may not line up. Offset comes into it as well, will they clear your discs, will they rub anywhere on full lock ?
Although your replacements are taller and skinnier, assuming you have stock 265 65 17 on at the moment the rolling radius can have an effect on your gearing/speedo reading. As RADIOTWO, try them if poss, that could eliminate most of the above, and/or check with size converter. Check the tyre size is a standard as well, if its odd or discontinued you wont get replacements when the time comes, maybe why someone is selling them.
When you say a set, that's 5 ? You don't want an odd spare. A lot to consider there. Good luck.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the six stud pattern is the same as standard they will bolt on , and if the offset is the same   there is less chance they will foul the brake calipers , but what you will get for sure is 13mm less ground clearance .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen how close the tolerance is between the front wheel and the front brake caliper , it wont take much change in offset to foul the front brake calipers .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot to be taken into consideration when changing wheels not of the same vehicle, as per RADIOTWO, try them first !
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they fit, the ride will be harder, going down to 55 from the usual 65 or even 70 if someone's fitted the common alternative.
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again as always guys your knowledge & advice is second to none sorry for the echo I tried to edit the first post twice before I knew it I had three up & don't know how to delete post or reply ? there was only 4 wheels & sounds a nightmare so I think I will get my wheels restored is my best option to keep it genuine as factory spec

thanks guys have a good one
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM0 Hambo, I think a wise choice. I refurbed mine a while back rather than change, a good opportunity to rotate tyres.
There is no delete or edit for posts on this forum, if you look on the bottom right of forum pages, it says what is what.
Thanks for update .
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original finish on the 120 wheels is really expensive to have refurbed,  diamond cut and laquered on the faces is the least robust finish but its very attractive.

Mercedes alloys had similar diamond cut/laquered alloys but much more prone to spidering and corroding than ours, some of the regulars on the MB forum i was a member of sang the praises of the new chromed finishes that had become available saying they were robust and as close to the finish of the diamond cut alloys as you would struggle to tell the difference.

It's something i shall look for in time, the alloys are still pretty good but every year they get a little less pretty...much like meself but i wasn't pretty at the best of times  Laughing
So, if anyone knows of someone who has tried these new finishes a pic or two or a review would be handy.

I think you've made the right decision Hambo.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the photos are telling the truth about the finish (sadly not diamond cut but appears a good finish otherwise), this exchange set looks like fair value, considering they'll have to swap your tyres over at the time which is probably £60 anywhere alone.
Course it means a drive to Blackpool and back to consider, so maybe only worth considering if you can combine the journey with another reason for travelling.
e bay 174569746540
Hambo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Juddian for e bay tip maybe worth a trip up I will phone around locally to see what they are offering & how much first & go from there thanks guys  wave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: