2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LEDs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 13:34    Post subject: LEDs Reply with quote

One for the Electronics Boffins out there :-

Several aspects of LEDs puzzle me

1. Whilst it is essential for LEDs connected to DC to be connected 'the right way round', domestic LED lamps ( AC bayonet fitting) not so. Or is it that they  light on and off 50 times a sec?

2. LEDs are rated in lumens, but especially with hand torch manufacturers, the lumens claims are wildly different for the same class of LED?

3. I have fitted a pair of '55W' DRLs to my TLc, which are superb, but both run happily from a 2Amp fuse!

4. The packaging of Osram 921 DWP-02B wedge LEDs for reversing light use have confusing  info,  described as 1.4 W, 2W and 2.9W. (no lumens)  Which figure is definitive?

Shead some light please. (sorry)

Dafydd   WW
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 13:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help with technical info on those points Dafydd, except the last one, - f'kin bright !!
Seriously though, as they are all wattage figures, and you have the same led bulbs as per previous post that are rectangular in shape, maybe the wattage on the bigger flat sides are one figure, the wattage on the narrower flat sides are another, and the one on the end is yet another.
3 different facets, 3 different figures/brightness output. Just a guess.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on you Electronics Boffins, how about some thoughts on my post on LEDs  please.

Dafydd   WW
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEDs run cooler, consume less power so dont require heavy guage cable or fuses. You could phone a friend ? 🤐
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

50/50
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

🤣🤣
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 20:39    Post subject: Re: LEDs Reply with quote

Hi Dafydd,

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
One for the Electronics Boffins out there :-

Several aspects of LEDs puzzle me

1. Whilst it is essential for LEDs connected to DC to be connected 'the right way round', domestic LED lamps ( AC bayonet fitting) not so. Or is it that they  light on and off 50 times a sec?

2. LEDs are rated in lumens, but especially with hand torch manufacturers, the lumens claims are wildly different for the same class of LED?

3. I have fitted a pair of '55W' DRLs to my TLc, which are superb, but both run happily from a 2Amp fuse!

4. The packaging of Osram 921 DWP-02B wedge LEDs for reversing light use have confusing  info,  described as 1.4 W, 2W and 2.9W. (no lumens)  Which figure is definitive?

Shead some light please. (sorry)

Dafydd   WW

1. Normal incandescent light bulbs and domestic lighting circuits dont really care which is + and which is -.  You can put a normal bayonet bulb in either way around, so there is probably some magic in the led bulbs to compensate for that, as that what people expect.   I've seen a few ceiling roses which have + and - wired incorrectly (switched) and the lights still work.

2. My understanding is that all light is rated in lumens - it is a measure of the light.  With the old bulbs the wattage was used as an indication of the light, but because LED's use much less current (and therefore consume less power / wattage) the wattage isn't very useful.  You will find charts about that will let you convert a lumens rating to old incandescent wattage, which is all most people understand.  (I want a 100W bulb in my light for example!)

3. Because the 55W DRL's probably arent really using 55W of power if they are LEDs.  They are probably *equivalent* to a halogen bulb at 55W.  Power = Voltage X Current (P=VI)  So the maximum power you could be consuming on a 2 Amp fuse on a 12 V circuit is 12*2 = 24W.  So your LED's must use less than that, probably a lot lot less!

4. Not a clue about their packaging I;m afraid.  But a lot of LED bulbs are sold with halogen W equivalents so that people know which is the right brightness for their car - eg the sidelights want W5W,, but the LED's wont really use 5 watts.  Maybe put connect a multimeter in-line in a test circuit and see what they really pull!

I'm sure someone will correct some of the above and provide better answers, but thats my two penneth!
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 22:51    Post subject: Re: LEDs Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:

Hi Dafydd,

I''m not sure where you are seeing those numbers on the 921 packaging - is there any way you can show us?

https://www.performancebulbs.co.uk/osr921dwp-02b-osram-ledriving-sl-w16w-cool-white-bulbs-12v-1.4w-(wedge-921-21w)-921dwp-02b.html

These are the 921 DWP-02B bulbs and you can see pictures of the packaging on this site.

On the front of the packet, it says W2.1x9.5d.  That is the dimensions of the wedge base of the bulb.  W means wedge, the base is 2.1mm wide and it's 9.5mm long.  D means double connection (2 wires) which means one filament in the bulb.

On the back of the packet, it says:

W2.1x9.5d (again)
12V | 2W - the LED bulb actually draws a max of 2 watts

Canbus Compatible 21W - the bulb is equivalent to an old fashioned halogen 21W bulb.

Hopefully that makes sense!  If your bulb packet is totally different let us know!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSRAM reverse light bulbs Dafydd ??  The ones we gave you info on are SAMSUNG multi led and super bright ! 😮
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl, your interpretation of the packaging card, is helpful and I now know I was taking the wedge dimensions as performance figure, thanks for putting me right.

TM, I bought my LEDs using Karl's reference  - https://e bay.co.uk/itm/313443534850  from e bay, whch came up as Osram.  Are the ones you have fitted (Toshiba??) a better performance?

Dafydd   WW
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry TM, I should have said SAMSUNG.

Embarassed

Dafydd   WW
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dafydd,

Sorry for the confusion - my original suggestion of Osrams for the reverse lights was superseded when TM suggested the SAMSUNG ones.

I'd already ordered the Osrams but the Samsung ones looked much better with more LED's and when I saw TM's photos of the bulbs in action I ordered the Samsungs and fitted those.

So, another upgrade for your list - at least you can change the bulbs in 30 seconds now Smile)
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍👍
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Karl, having accepted TM's glowing report of the SAMSUNG LEDs, although having bought  and fitted he Osram LEDs I too ordered a pair of the SAMSUNG LEDS.

I now have a SAMSUNG  LED (£10.06 a pair)in the RH reversing light and an Osram in the LH light, (£14 + a pair)!

The difference in brightness/illumination is marginal, if any,  in favour of the SAMSUNG.    The SAMSUNGs came loose & without any manufacturers packaging or markings.

I will leave things as they are and see which lasts longest.

The improvement in illumination is remarkable over the original bulbs and well worth the cost.

Dafydd   WW
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Osram leds are made by Osram hence the official packaging  the Samsung ones are usually made by individual electronic led bulb manufacturers USING Samsung led chips , hence no official Samsung manufactures packaging .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: