All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC5 air suspension fail mode?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 19:27    Post subject: LC5 air suspension fail mode? Reply with quote

I am considering buying an LC5, some way away from my home. The owner accepts the rear suspension doesn't work - ie doesn't change height although a compressor can be heard running when asked.  The car is currently sat at what I would consider a normal ride height. My question is whether it can be trusted to stay at that height whilst I sort out a conversion kit or is it  likely to drop on to its bumpstops at any moment?

I have driven it and it rides beautifully - so rear suspension is  currently "working."

Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the height sensor seized or broken off, can't see any reason why it should move from its present setting especially if you have a poke nose underneath and see if you can pin the item in place, you've obviously checked it out for underbody corrosion already.

When you say the pump can can be heard running, its not contuous or a leaking airbag that needs the pump running almost all the time? that would concern me because the pumps in my experience only run for a few seconds periodically, at least at tickover revs and maneuvering speeds when you can hear the pump clearly.

Its one of the reasons i spray ACF50 liberally about the undersides twice a year, not only to help keep hidden parts of the chassis and bodywork protected from road salt, but it keeps things like these sensors lubed up.
As for the rear air suspension, combinded with the traction control on the LC5 i find the excellent handling and ride quality worth preserving by keeping the suspension original for as long as possible, the one thing i woould ditch if and when tyhe time comes is the electronic dampers, the minor differences between the damper settings would not induce me to fork out for new OE shock absorbers.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Juddian on the bennifits and Quality of the rear air suspension and TEMS , but I will not be renewing any of it when it eventually wears out , I have bought a Pedders air suspension and tems up rated replacement kit from Roughtrax for both front and rear with the front coils and shocks already assembled for just over  700 quid at the time when I bought it , with all the instructions to fit it and delete the lights on the lights on the dash for the air suspension which just consist of unplugging the air suspension ecu on the passenger side kick panel .
Ibex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only hear the pump when I press the button to select low or high mode - otherwise it is quiet when sat at N and the ride quality is admittedly very good.

So perhaps its just a sensor needing replacement? That would certainly do the job as far as I am concerned and put off the fateful day of a complete swap out - and even then there may be an interim position involving just exchanging the electric dampers? I agree wholeheartedly about the regular sprayof ACF 50 - although I'm currently experimenting with lanolin in the form of Lanoguard. Just heat and spray it on and its like thick oil in the summer and grease in the winter. Doesn't perish rubber bushes etc and adheres to chassis very well. An annual "top up" is usually enough to keep everything protected.

Thank you for your advice,

Dave
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, can't shed any more light on your suspension, but Karl has used Lanoguard sheep dip as a 'top coat', and I am looking at going that route next year. We have both this year, put in weeks of work preparing, treating and painting undersides with various products to keep the dreaded rust at bay.
Juddian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handy post from Tony there, wasn't aware that Pedders made a kit for the airsprung and tems kitted 120's, if part of conversion is disconnecting the tems ecu then the Pedders kit must be completely sefl contained.
The raising lowering aspect i almost never make any use of, the changes in height being so small.
Ibex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big a deal is it to identify and swap out the likely offending sensor in my rear suspension?

Dave
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juddian just seen your post on the Pedders kit , the Pedders kit comes in standard height or can be ordered in a 45 - 50mm lift form  , and is a conversion kit to rear coils and none adjustable shocks using Pedders trakryder gas shocks and uprated front springs and uprated top mounts already assembled , and the  rear consists of Pedders uprated trakryder gas shocks , Pesdders smooth riding coil springs with spring  seating ring to convert to the coils and coil bump stops , in fitting the conversion the two fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment are removed and the two connectors for the air suspension ECU disconnected on the passenger kick panel as shown in the step by step photo instructions , all the electrics plugs for each of  the shocks are disconnected and left in place , and sensors and their parts and air compressor are left in place with just the rear air bags removed , the same kit fits the standard lc3 and lc4  rear coil  Lc120s as its a straight fit the only difference being if the car has the spare wheel on the back door it must be mentioned as different springs are supplied . the whole kit cost me 714 quid with free delivery and I think they are 726 pounds now and cost a bit more for the 50mm lift version . Milners also do a full conversion kit for only 540 quid , but the shocks and springs are not of a well known trusted brand . so I went with the Pedders conversion kit  .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting one Tony, (they all are), about the spare wheel on back door making a difference to springs supplied.
Same weight, so presumably it's because the spare is further away from axle and higher up, creating a type of cantilever effect ? 🤓
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your right TM , Pedders supply a slightly stiffer rear spring for cars with spare wheel on back door , thats attention for detail from Pedders for you ,😃
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tony for confirming. Pedders are obviously ahead of their game, other uscrupulous will sell any old mother hubbard stuff that can't do the job and sags like an old girl. 🙄
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony for the full Pedders info, i shall keep the current system going as long as possible, the Pedders kit sounds the right solution if it's mega cost to sort the air out, would rather buy branded for such parts.
Ibex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now bought the LC5 with the stuck rear suspension. First thing I note is that my Haynes workshop manual doesn't actually cover the air suspension, which is not a lot of help. Can anybody point me at any on line reference that might provide some indication of this suspension set up and where the various sensors are located?

Secondly, if the problem was with a sensor stuck or broken, would this not come up on an electronic chassis diagnostic report?

Dave
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if your air suspension in stuck in N because it needs resetting , could be that if you remove the 2 air suspension fuses 50amp and 10anp in the engine compartment for 30 minutes it may reset the air suspension ecu , it cost nowt to try it . Make sure you do NOT have the key in the ignition when you do this , if you do not know where the fuses are they are written in the inside of the lid of the fuse box ,
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are at it check the fuses that they not blown ,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: