Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC5 air suspension fail mode?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions Tony, I collect the car on Wednesday night so next weekend will be playtime - although it has to make the 200 mile trip up the M6 on a Friday afternoon first!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 17:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Dave, it will fly home. 😀
masb1308

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 17:14    Post subject: Me Too! Reply with quote

Hi Ibex,

I can see this thread is a bit dated but hope you get the message. I too have an LC5 (4.0 Petrol) with the dreaded rear suspension problems. I am not inclined to go down the conversion route as I would like to keep the car original. Do you get your air suspension issues resolved, if so, how did you do it?
Ibex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 21:28    Post subject: LC5 air suspension fail mode? Reply with quote

It's a bit of a long story I'm afraid. I didn't buy the car I was hoping to get when I wrote that post you read as other problems emerged - like a broken transfer box! So I bought another one, another LC5, but this time with everything working fine - including the suspension.

I had only owned it a month when I was given the opportunity of a load of Cherry logs. I filled my 8x4 trailer but still had more to go, so I filled the car as well. Boot, back seats and front passenger seat. I was impressed that the self levelling worked, but when I unloaded the car it seemed to be up at maximum height. I kicked myself for abusing my new pride and joy. But over the next couple of days it seemed to sort itself out and now all is well.   Big sigh of relief.

Since then I dont use the height setting at all - it isn't a big distance between lowest and highest anyway. But the self levelling handles the caravan beautifully.

As to your problem, I found a couple of videos on Youtube of blokes fixing air suspension which could well be worth your looking for. It certainly improved my confidence in dealing with air suspension even though it never actually came to it!

Best of luck!
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, going through some old posts of mine and had some afterthoughts on how you ended up with the car stuck at full height.

I've been driving trucks for ever and the last few decades has seen almost every axle except for the steer axle to go onto air springs.

I think those with cars and 4x4's on air springs could benefit from the same practices as those of us driving trucks (who care tuppence) utilise.
When we are loaded heavily by the time we finish tipping if the engine and ignition are off the airbags are stretched to full height and still under high pressure, its not an issue for me these days because i have to run the engine to power the two PTOs so the system depressurises and keeps the tractor level during discharge and the trailer suspension is locked is fully drained of air due to the rear of the tipping tanker trailer being sat on stabiliser legs.

However where you were unloading wood Ibex unless the engine was running as you emptied the car the springs would have gone to full height still under pressure for a reasonably long time, in extreme cases i've known truck airbags to blow out when raised to full height still loaded and left like that for a period of time, quite apart from on a Cruiser the possibility of jamming any sensors at their highest setting, and we all know just how resilient to corrosion the undersides and sensors are on our Cruisers  Evil or Very Mad

Probably best to lower the suspension somewhat before unloading and prevent the system going to full height as you unload, or as the vehicle raises itself as weight comes off to run it for a short time to again depressurise the airbags, not sure if leaving the ignition on without the engine running would allow the suspension to self level but might be an interesting something to try....if the engine needed to be running to operate the air pump and this was a regular things for you, maybe rewiring the air pump so it operated with ignition on might be worth doing.

Maybe this is something that might be of iinterest to those with 100/200 Cruisers too, must be a similar effect happening on the hydraulic systems.
Ibex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, although the air suspension appeared to survive the incidenece I reported, this could avoid me falling in to the trap again. Good advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: