Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

T-belt light

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlPrado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 22:47    Post subject: T-belt light Reply with quote

Purchased a Prado saturday with the T-belt light on the dash , Is this something easy to turn of ?
A new belt was fitted in 2019 by Toyota
Thanks for any advice
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 22:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the UK Colorado it's a bit of a faff and I expect the Prado is the same. You have to remove the dashboard unit and swap over a pin on the rear of the speedometer cluster. It's not a hard job but it does require a bit of time. There should be some instructions floating around, either on this site or via a google search. I can't remember the details because I did it ages ago but the cluster can be removed without major dashboard dismantling and you don't need to take off the steering wheel, which helps.
AlPrado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggerdave wrote:
On the UK Colorado it's a bit of a faff and I expect the Prado is the same. You have to remove the dashboard unit and swap over a pin on the rear of the speedometer cluster. It's not a hard job but it does require a bit of time. There should be some instructions floating around, either on this site or via a google search. I can't remember the details because I did it ages ago but the cluster can be removed without major dashboard dismantling and you don't need to take off the steering wheel, which helps.

OK thanks , I need to remove the cluster as most of the bulbs are not working and need replacing , I will have a read of the Max Ellery repair manual tha I was given with the car , Easy job sound good  Razz
andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have a search facility on this site, but found this for you http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11782&highlight=belt+light
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
AlPrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for that , I also found a post on youtube under " prado instrument cluster " did try including a link but thats not allowed

Looks like I may get 2 jobs done in one swoop  Very Happy " Bulbs and T-belt re set "
AlPrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlPrado wrote:
OK thanks for that , I also found a post on youtube under " prado instrument cluster " did try including a link but thats not allowed

Looks like I may get 2 jobs done in one swoop  Very Happy " Bulbs and T-belt re set "

Dash came out easy , 4 main bulbs replaced , Could not see the screw that needs moving re the T-belt light ? , Had to put it back together
as I am off to the tyre shop soon
andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the same as a Surf, see Here
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
AlPrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for that , It did have the location as seen in the photo , Looks like its dash out time
andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. T-BELT MODE DISPLAY
a) With ignition turned ON, using the trip switch (select/reset button) change the display to ODO, and turn the ignition OFF
b) While pressing the trip switch, turn the ignition switch ON and hold it for 5 seconds.
c) Release the trip switch, then press the switch again within 5 seconds.
d) The digital display should change to T-belt mode. The initial display "15" (0,000km) is displayed (ie. 150,000km).

2. REWRITING REPLACEMENT VALUES
While in the T-Belt mode, each press of the trip switch will change the displayed value by 10,000km increments. Once " 20 " (200,000km) is reached the display reverts back to " 1 " (10,000km) again. Remember, this setting is the number of kilometres to be travelled before the light comes on next, and once reset this counter will start from zero.
I believe the timing belt interval for all the 100 series engine variants is 150,000km, but this should be checked against each different markets servicing recommendation. This being the case, you shouldn't need to change from the default setting of "15".
Obviously for the US, the ODO is in miles, and I guess the T-Belt warning would be set in 10,000 mile intervals.

3. T-BELT WARNING RESET COMPLETION
a) After setting the replacement setting value, hold the trip switch ON for more than 5 seconds then release the switch.
b) Check that the display has now changed back to ODO and that the warning light has gone off when the engine is started.
NOTE: If the T-Belt mode is completed, even though the belt replacement has not been performed, the T-Belt warning IS reset.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
AlPrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
My Prado is the older 1999 model with the mechanical speedo
Next time I have a dry day will remove the cluster again and move the screw and fingers crossed
No mot T-BELT light

Thank you
AlPrado

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay no more T-BELT light on the dash

Started at 10 am done by 10.20 , Moved the screw = Sorted , Thanks for your help  Smile
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why was it on ? Did someone change the belt and not 're set it, or it was on cos it's time to change it ?
Hope it's not the latter !
AlPrado

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that it was changed at 79K by a local mechanic , The seller gave me the belt that came off

I will change it again soon then I know it's been done.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Al. Change it asap, either yourself or someone you know and trust.
The cost is not worth it on someone else's say so without a proper receipt. Anyone can give an old belt, filter etc, and tell you what mileage they like. Im sure more than one dodgy garage has done it in the past. 😉
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed Al, in your 1st post, you said belt changed by  Toyota, and in your last, by local mechanic.
With that contradictory info you were supplied with mate, as said previously, ASAP, + a good service..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: