Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Alarm and ignition also central locking

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 14:14    Post subject: Alarm and ignition also central locking Reply with quote

Hi Guys.
My 1997 colorado may be starting to have a problem.
The alarm seems to go off for no reason. Three times this morning while parked.

When turning the key to start the engine I got just a click. Then on trying again the engine fired up . I think the batteries are good.

I got into the car and without warning the central locking locked the doors..

Any Ideas on this would be most welcome.

Regards

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 14:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the twin battery or single on your collie ? Anyway, I would start by checking to see what the voltage is at rest,, preferably next morning before starting, then report back.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 17:49    Post subject: reply to question Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for you reply.
I have two batteries the voltage reading 4 hours after the engine was last run is 12.55 Volts

Regards

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems healthy enough,  but of course that may drop dramatically overnight and especially if really cold if batteries not tip top
Was that figure the same on both batteries ?  Does it turn over easily to start, as in that respect it's not so much the voltage as cca.
Sorry for all the questions, but as much info as poss always helps with remote diagnosis.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, check you have all clean connections to the batteries, some symptoms point to poss low voltage, and a decent earth is a must, can throw up all kinds of faults.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 18:20    Post subject: reply to question Reply with quote

Hi Again,
Sorry did not disconnect the batteries from each other.
Engine normally fires up right away, no long cranking. Connections are clean and well maintained. I think the earths are OK . well they look OK. I will have a look in the morning with better light.

Do you think it could be the ignition switch, Not the key barrel but the plastic switch at the back of the barrel.. just a thought. After 190k miles there may be ware in the switch.

Regards

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, although lc's will normally function quite well off 1 battery, it would pay you to isolate them both completely to check voltages overnight if poss.
As they are wired in parallell, one can leech power from the other and definately check your connections, batteries starter etc.
Also, if you have one to hand try changing the battery in your key fob if your model has one. In my experience they either work or they dont, but can't help wondering if that battery was low there may not be recognition as per alarm sounding/click when starting.
Of couse with the alarm, are all the windows/doors/sunroof, if you have one, shut ? Have you got a pet fly/spider running free inside. 😄Check all the simple things first and see how you go. 👍
modvrs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

My twopence worth is that the problems may not be related; if the starter is original the solenoid contacts could be worn out (the most common reason for getting a random click on starting in my experience). One thing not mentioned so far on the alarm is to check the bonnet switch, they can fall apart and the bottom drops out.
AlPrado

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most decent car spares shop can test the batterys for you
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 19:32    Post subject: reply to question Reply with quote

Thanks again
I will check the points raised. Tomorrow.
The click on the starter has only happened twice.
I will report back tomorrow.

thanks

Paul
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 20:04    Post subject: reply to question Reply with quote

Hi
I may have created another problem, I seem to have lost the key fob code when checking its battery. The battery was reading 3.3 volts which is OK.
But it is not working.

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is not lost mate, although I can't tell you how to do it, if you do a search on here the procedure has been covered before, on other forums and the likes of YouTube. Maybe someone who knows can tell you soon.
andy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wit a battery change it might be as simple as pressing both buttons for several seconds, it's just like a simple reset.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Further problem now. Reply with quote

Hi guys.
When I removed the blipper battery to check the voltage and  have lost the code.
I have tried the recode process but so far no joy... Key in out 5 lock and unlock etc but it is not working. the alarm goes off  and I don't seem able to disarm it..
any ideas would be helpful

regards

Paul.

Is there a special code for the 97 colorado?
andy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked in the Alarms section.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: