NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What tyres??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado93

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 23:17    Post subject: What tyres?? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Just after opinions..

What are peoples preferences on tyres? I have a 2001 Colorado vx lwb and have just fitted some bfg at ko2’s after only hearing good things about them, and especially living on Dartmoor it’s s must for our snowy winters!

Are there any other foot all terrains that perform exceptionally well on snow / ice?

Thanks  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 23:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get various opinions on this subject mate. Chunkier heavy tread and good sipes normally go hand in hand with a harder compound rubber and can be a noisy and bumpy distraction on the black stuff. I am currently running the old pattern Cooper discoverer at3 on my 120, which have given no bother, and grip really well, but have not encountered some of the extreme conditions you may have.
Some of the off road boys have 2 different sets for summer and winter, but that comes as twice the expense.
Whatever tyres you decide on will be a compromise for reasons explained, so hang on for more suggestions then only you can decide.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:53    Post subject: Re: What tyres?? Reply with quote

Colorado93 wrote:
have just fitted some bfg at ko2’s after only hearing good things about them

It sounds like you've already made your choice. My mate has these fitted to his truck and is happy with them. He hasn't got stuck when we've been green laning so that makes them a sound choice in my book. I prefer mud tyres and find that the Coopers I have are very civilised on tarmac.
Colorado93

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I’m sure the ko2’s will be good enough for me and everywhere I intend to go. I’m still definitely keen to hear other people opinions on tyres and recommendations for me to consider next time around!
andy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need any new tyres for some time going by reports on BFG wear, but I have just fitted some Davanti Terratoura A/T tyres in 265/60/18, the 4 tyres cost me a fraction over £400 plus fitting at my local tyre place, early days but they have a great tread pattern, so lets hope we get some snow soon.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the Yokohama GO15 snowflake stamped all season ATs on the 120, not going to be a great mud or off road tyre in the manner of BFGs but for snow ice and wet roads in all temperatures i'm very happy and would buy again.

Depending on values and supply situation when needed might consider Falken AT3WA instead, again all season tyres with snowflake stamping, have no experience of them as such but Falkens feature currently on two family cars, colour me impressed.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinking eck, just looked up see what all seasons are priced like on Camskill, those Falkens in 120 size are some £148 + postage + fitting, definately this is the wrong time of year to be buying winter rated rubber, or maybe its reflection of Falkens growing reputation for decent rubber, haven't looked elsewhere cos won't be needing new boots for several years and as we've seen over the last 2 years a lot can happen in that time.
andy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.davanti-tyres.com/
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Davantis look like they mean business Andy.

Are they made in Poland perchance, i remember a Polish mate talking about a make in his that sounded like that name, he reckoned they were the dogs danglers.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juddian, I think the prices may be a combination of the 2 mentioned. Karl priced some Cooper stt earlier this year and found similar high prices. I believe more recently he bit the bullet after looking at other brands/prices. At one time we were discussing GG at3, which we were considering an alternative, I still have those as a strong contender when the time comes, depending on alternatives/prices.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, thanks for link, just had a butcher's at those tyres, and like what I see, but no prices🤓
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking further prices are going higher all around, in 120 size BFG MT's are now coming in over £200.

Still not going to be tempted to Chinese rubber, luckily don't need any tyres for a while hopefully some of the lunacy at large in the world might have taken a tablet or two and prices stabilised by the time i need any.

Just out of interest if any of you thought Russian roads were dangerous have you watched some of the videos from China  Shocked , brings a whole new meaning to the term hopeless driver.
As so many of the accidents involve what appears to be no grip worthy of mention when braking or cornering on anything other than bone dry roads does make one wonder if some of the other seemingly  normally driven cars crashing is down to lack of grip...however normal is a term one would use loosely, have a look see.
andy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Davanti's  are a Chinese brand, but sold by a company called oak tyres ( Manchester) , and by all reports they are good, a lot of the L R people swear by them, I paid just over £400 for them including delivery, and then it cost me £60 to get them fitted, so two sets would cost just over one set of BFG's.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
karl2000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davanti - sponsored by Everton.

I'd rather walk
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂 What a load of toffee. Haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: