Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado rusting chassis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coloradofloss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 22:25    Post subject: Colorado rusting chassis Reply with quote

Hi,
I am on my second landcruiser Colorado and love it to bits, the chassis is in need of help but I don’t really know where to start. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 😊
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 22:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're getting to an age where this is a regular event when poking around on the rear chassis sections, it is with mine at least.

I decided to have a go at cutting bits out and welding in some new metal over the Summer. I'm not much of a welder but the job was good enough to satisfy the MOT man in October. I did the control arm towers on the rear axle at the same time as they were disintegrating.
modvrs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a bit of scraping revealed this

After some cutting disc action

the poorly welded result

locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 16:48    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi,
After seeing your rusty chassis.. you got me thinking I have the same problem on my 23 year old colorado.
I have over the years sprayed waxoil and dinitrol inside the chassis and doors etc.
I went out side and gave the chassis a belt with a small hammer.. thankfully I have a nice ringing sound rather than a dull thud.

Good luck for 2022

Regards

Paul.
modvrs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rather wish I'd done a bit more preventative maintenance but by the time I realised (slight bulging around the holes in the chassis rails) it was way too late. Mine rotted from the inside out.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your middle picture where you can see the rear axle - the turret on the axle casing looks to have the start of a crack where they rust if the drain holes aren't poked clear.... would be well worth a plate before that becomes your next job..... Smile
modvrs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. You have a keen eye! I did plate those while I had the welder warmed up - had to replace all the brake pipes too as they fell to bits when I moved them out of the way - it never ends.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a good dose of paint after and should last well....

I don't know why the drain holes in those axle casing turrets are so small - on the 2 or 3 I've seen they have all had a puddle of salt/water sitting inside... takes a 4 inch nail and some gentle tapping/wiggling to get the drain hole running...  such a bad design
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: