Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Injectors, Turbos, Lights and woe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhotoJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 0:35    Post subject: Injectors, Turbos, Lights and woe Reply with quote

Wanted to say hello and I'm new to the forum.
Ive finally bought my first LC two weeks ago. 2008 LC5 105K miles. Dream come true. Has turned into a little bit of a nightmare.

Used the car for one trip. Did buy the car with the engine warning light and VSC ABS light on. from a very good friend who spent £1000 on it before i bought it. And another £10K getting the whole of the rear suspension of the car re built by Toyota. The EGR valve had just been changed along with the fuel filler and new genuine filler cap. 300 miles of trouble free motoring. First stop and bang all the lights back on ... Car is driving well. Or so I thought. Visit to local Toyota dealer and BOOM. They say it will cost £10K to fix. Injectors, Turbo, DPF etc etc etc £7200 of parts required.

Ive spoken with Trevor (Freedom 4x4)  on the phone today for and hour or so. he was very kind and very helpful. But also at a loss about what these lights are all about. Fault code is a PO400

If any of you very experienced and knowledgeable people on here could spare a few moments and help me. Id really appreciate any input.

best    Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 0:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fault code P0400 is just EGR valve related and not injectors or turbo , it could be any one the egr vacuum lines have been blocked off as to disable the egr valve or other conection for it , or could be the egr cooler has a crack in it and allowing the egr gas to escape , or the lever that operates the egr valve is stuck , how ever any of these faults when the lights are turned off with a scanner with out fixing the problem will take about a month to reappear , then when turned off again 2 weeks to reappear then after a few times the of using a scanner it will take 1 week to reappear , the injectors need changing at around 120k miles and they will not give any fault codes unless incredibly bad that they are over fueling at a alarming rate , ask the previous owner if he has had new injectors fitted coz if he spent that much sorting out repairs he may have had some fitted , and there is no DPF just a cat converter on a 120,
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to mention when ever the egr valve code p0400 appears it will always give a engine warning light together with the VSC/ABS even though they have nothing to do with the fault , the p0400 code is one of the least worries of engine codes as on a 120 it does not go into limp mode , some people disconnect their egr valves with out using a electronic device to deceive the ecu and drive around with the warning lights and code p0400 all the time or get a 20 quid scanner and keep wiping the code off ,   I used to before I got a electronic device and only connect the egr valve for the mot inspection and disconnect it again ,
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

All top advice from Tony as usual!

Interesting Toyota told you it needs a new DPF when it doesn't have one?

My experience with Toyota dealers is they really don't want to be dealing with these old trucks.  They're much more interested in doing oil changes on a Motorbility Yaris.

Most of the work will be done by the apprentices, who have never really worked on these old LC's - sometimes I think they quote ridiculous prices because they dont really want the work.
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Toyota wanted me to pay for a new ECU (£1800 + VAT) + fitting, with no guarantee it would fix my engine light problem.

Turned out to be broken parking sensors.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Karl about Toyota dealerships for dealing with Landcruisers more than 6 years old , and are often referred to as stealerships ,  and to say the car needs a DPF when it don't have one aswell as needing a turbo , probably don't need injectors either , they should have given the lad a tecstream print out to prove their diagnosice test when giving a quote the size of the one they gave him .  And any one who know owt about 1kd engines will know that a p0400 code means insufficient egr gas going through the egr valve , which also leads me to question the fact that it has had a new egr valve that one of the vacume pipes have been fitted the wrong when reconnecting the pipe work or maybe the egr cooler 12mm holding bolt that is fitted half way down the has been left out allowing the egr cooler to vibrate and crack at one of the joints , I would like to see this engine running live on facetime on WhatsApp with the engine cover removed , so I could look and check all the connections and see if the lever that operates the opening and closing of the egr valve , as well as see and hear how he engine running on idle at cold start up as well as how it is at full operating temp , as well as when the throttle is revved to 2 thousand revs , to see how the injectors sound , but a tecstream print out at full running temp with all the accesserys turned off  will tell me all I need to know as well as visual sound and how stable the engine idles with all the accesserys turned off ,
PhotoJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

just back from a very wet day bashing conifers for a sins

thank you all so so much for your replies.

I am about to try and extract my LC from the dealers and rethink my course of action.

She runs very OK. had 550 miles out of a tank of oil coming back from scotland. there is oil around the turbo and it does whistle a bit. she has a bit rattle at start till she's warm and then OK.
I haven't seen the techstream print outs (i have asked) ... then just sent one of those videos and a quote for £10K. When asked some questions. very defensive. Quote ... "well I bought a microwave that didn't last as long as I thought"  I really didn't know what to do with that to be honest.

I'm getting the vacuum hoses checked and the EGR cooler looked at

if it wasn't for the lights ... i wouldn't really think anything was wrong.

No smoke. No bangs.

best and thank you again
PhotoJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
I agree with you Karl about Toyota dealerships for dealing with Landcruisers more than 6 years old , and are often referred to as stealerships ,  and to say the car needs a DPF when it don't have one aswell as needing a turbo , probably don't need injectors either , they should have given the lad a tecstream print out to prove their diagnosice test when giving a quote the size of the one they gave him .  And any one who know owt about 1kd engines will know that a p0400 code means insufficient egr gas going through the egr valve , which also leads me to question the fact that it has had a new egr valve that one of the vacume pipes have been fitted the wrong when reconnecting the pipe work or maybe the egr cooler 12mm holding bolt that is fitted half way down the has been left out allowing the egr cooler to vibrate and crack at one of the joints , I would like to see this engine running live on facetime on WhatsApp with the engine cover removed , so I could look and check all the connections and see if the lever that operates the opening and closing of the egr valve , as well as see and hear how he engine running on idle at cold start up as well as how it is at full operating temp , as well as when the throttle is revved to 2 thousand revs , to see how the injectors sound , but a tecstream print out at full running temp with all the accesserys turned off  will tell me all I need to know as well as visual sound and how stable the engine idles with all the accesserys turned off ,

would gladly send you any vid of the car that you need! and I'm trying to get the techstream data that i would gladly send you ... if you have the time
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the egr valve is not working like yours isn't hence the p0400 code the turbo  does whistle a bit coz the turbo spins faster due to no loss of exhaust thrust due to the egr gas not going back to the engine , and the engine will run better and more efficent also when the egr is out of action , thats why people fit egr blanking plates to stop the egr valve working , and if some one has fitted a full blanking plate with out a electronic device  to fool the ecu you will get the p0400 engine code , a way round that is to fit one with a 7mm hole , that will restrict some of the egr gas going to the egr valve so that you will not get a p0400 code ,   the egr valve does not do the engine any favours and ultimately will kill your engine and is there for emission purposes that is a legal requirement ,   it is common for the turbo to have a slight oil weep ,  but for long turbo life you shoul let the engine tick over for a minute after a few miles of cruising or two minutes after a long run so that the turbo can  cool down with coolant and oil as it can get very hot , and by turning the engine off with out letting the turbo cool down can bake the oil in the turbo and blocking the oil gallery that feeds the turbo parts , but all the best with what the result is ,
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got time for a vidio as I am retired now , if you want do it live as its free with WhatsApp with the engine cover removed so I can ask you to point to  certain parts of the engine for me to check ,  my number is 00357 97859007 , bare in mind we in Cyprus are 2 hours in front , so when ever you got the day off 11am british time would be good as it should be light enough to see in the video and it will be 1pm here ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be hard pressed to get better advice than Tony's mate, - I know, and if I were you I would get it away from the main dealers pdq, they are parts changers and guess what is paying ?
From what you have been told, they are clearly incompetent, and there is no reason why they cannot give you a print out to back their findings/statements. After all you are paying for their time spent hooking Techstream up and investigating, and I don't see how they can get it so wrong about the dpf. Readings/codes on the live data are very clear. Karl has helped me out immensely with all that.
Speak to the workshop manager, or higher if you have to, get all the print out info you are entitled to, and get out.
Give all your info to Tony as requested, and you will start getting some proper answers with no b/s.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your confidence in me TM 👍😃 , and I fully agree with you about main dealers they are best avoided .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps good night all its my bed time ,
PhotoJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tractionman"]You will be hard pressed to get better advice than Tony's mate, - I know, and if I were you I would get it away from the main dealers pdq, they are parts changers and guess what is paying ?
From what you have been told, they are clearly incompetent, and there is no reason why they cannot give you a print out to back their findings/statements. After all you are paying for their time spent hooking Techstream up and investigating, and I don't see how they can get it so wrong about the dpf. Readings/codes on the live data are very clear. Karl has helped me out immensely with all that.
Speak to the workshop manager, or higher if you have to, get all the print out info you are entitled to, and get out.
Give all your info to Tony as requested, and you will start getting some proper answers with no b/s.[/quote

Looks like Ive come to the right place ... thank you all again for all your help. really appreciate it
PhotoJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
I got time for a vidio as I am retired now , if you want do it live as its free with WhatsApp with the engine cover removed so I can ask you to point to  certain parts of the engine for me to check ,  my number is 00357 97859007 , bare in mind we in Cyprus are 2 hours in front , so when ever you got the day off 11am british time would be good as it should be light enough to see in the video and it will be 1pm here ,

I will be in  touch when i get my LC back. many thanks, best wishes and good night
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: