4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Owner Maintenance Advice

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 19:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

🤣🤣🤣
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, just got in from work and can't believe the fantastic help you've given.  Oil choice sounds easy, 5W30 it is.

I'm taking the view that although I would love to do the rust treatment myself before anyone else, I won't have the time and likely even getting the LC up here will get the salt into it.  If the work done buys me a year without causing further damage then I can take it off in sections and re-do at my leisure (wishful thinking perhaps).  If the guy at the garage doing the work (not the seller) is truthful then he described pretty much the same process as here, and I also saw a couple that he had done including a Hi Lux with a brand new body.  I have an MX5 with the subframes needing exactly the same treatment but I can at least keep that off the road until the salt has passed.

Inside the box sections and sills is ok as I have the kit to do that and a top up order from Dinitrol is probably all I need.  There is no mud and little evidence of off road use, or perhaps I'm comparing it to the use (abuse?) our work 4x4's used to get in the Forests back in the 1980's.  It's a lot of years since I last owned a 4x4, after the Hi Lux's I had four Subaru's in a row then my employers got meaner and 2WD cars were order of the day.    A rust converter in the box sections before the Dinitrol would be good but does anyone know of a liquid that's cheap enough to flood them with?

I had planned to wait until I retired to pick up a Landcruiser but life's too short and you can never be sure you are going to get there.  Unfortunately that means I don't have as much time available as I would like to work on the cars and the bees.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍Landcruisers and Bees, sounds good to me. 😊
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did collect the LC a few weeks ago and made it 160 miles back up to Scotland.  Perhaps unsurprisingly with an 18 year old motor there are good and bad points.

On the good side the guy who cleaned up the underside was true to his word and it looks very clean and solid.  The rear axle is particularly good which was one area of concern after reading about corrosion on here.  I have however had rather more opportunity to examine the underside than I would have liked because it has been up on the local garage's lift for a week and a half, which is because of the major bad point being that the clutch is gubbed.  Or more exactly previously gubbed, then bodged, and now definitely past it.

The clutch started slipping almost immediately so was treated gently to get home then not driven until the garage said they had time (they didn't really have time, it is a small village, but I'm not in a hurry).  The gearbox is a bit too big to do on the drive I thought.  Once dismantled the tale of previous bodgerism was discovered, including missing spigot shaft bearing (why?), cracked flywheel, cracked pressure plate, two bellhousing bolts missing (the top ones not surprisingly), two bellhousing bolts' threads stripped and left proud of the surface (used to wind on the gearbox?), missing propshaft bolt, another propshaft bolt with thread stripped, missing propshaft nut (gearbox end).  Having tracked down all of the missing and damaged parts (the bellhousing bolts came from an engineering suppliers) it should go back together this week.

The seller has said that he will reimburse for this so not all bad and I'll end up with a new clutch done properly.

Prior to that I'd only been able to replace the cabin filter (had a layer of moss as well as the normal dirt, leaves and insects), and start on one of the few areas of rust along the back edge of the rear floor.  Future delights look to include:  The rusty inner wings behind the batteries, a battery held in with a piece of wood (seller was meant to fix this but I expect the clamp is missing because the mounting point has rusted away), two wheels losing air (the workshop at my work can do these easily enough), and the offside towing eye hanging by a thread.  Once it runs once more then I will drop the oil and sub sump to check the pickup, replace the timing belt, coolant and brake fluid, and if nothing else untoward is found start treating the inside of the box sections.

Tracing the history isn't as easy any more but a quick look shows that the LC spent sixteen years in South Wales near Carmarthen, two owners but off the road for six years (two years, then back on, then off for four).  I don't think they use much salt there.  Last owner did about 18000 miles in a year and a bit and looks like the source of the bodging.  The rear floor has had two square holes cut through it about four inches wide, which have been more recently plated over by the previous owner I should think.  The carpet is intact and looks original.  Any ideas as to why the holes?

While the first two owners look to have taken reasonable care I'm surprised at the number of MOT failures and advisories for bald tyres, one of which was still on the spare hanging by a single wheel nut.  Tracking still looks to be out (spare is bald on one side), but why not get it done with the recent new front tyres?  Not a good sign but the oil pickup should tell if it's been too neglected.

Not had much (any) chance to drive it but interested enough to start researching a newer (or even new) one as a keeper before 2030.  Can't believe Toyota still make and sell new 76 series trucks in Africa and Oz.  Surely an opportunity for someone to import them here even if used.

Are there any easy instructions for posting photos?  I can do a few as the work progresses if anyone's interested.  The bees (well hives full of bees) might get a lift in the summer if all goes well.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to remove the lower sump to inspect the oil pick up , just look up the oil drain in the sump with a torch when you drain the oil and its stopped dripping because the oil pick up is about 15mm above the drain hole and if its blocked or dirty you will deffo see that it is .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beekeeper,
Thanks for update.
Wow, that's quite a bit to be getting on with, as Tony says with the important bits, ( although they're all importent to you.) Some jobs would take more priority than others.
No idea why some joe *beep* would cut holes in the rear load area floor, although this area is prone to rot especially, with all tha *beep* thrown up from the rear wheels, due to neglect. There's nothing that would make it easier to get at underneath either, even suspension/axle parts are doable from underneath.
I thought the clutch issues would have shown up on a test drive, it's a wonder the bloody thing worked at all !
Wales does have rough weather, perhaps not as much salt content as Scotland, but if it was based out in the sticks, wet muddy lanes every day wouldnt help, and then parked for that amount of time.
Could even have been a farm runaround, taking hay to livestock in fields, kids to school, shopping, even going to market with a trailer if towbar fitted, who knows, but it aint had an easy life with that degree of bodge maintenance.
Good luck with your efforts to turn another 120 around.
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, oil strainer inspection is definitely the first job for this weekend, sounds easier than I thought.  The holes in the floor are a curiosity, they don't look to be corrosion related and there is nothing below that would need access, at least not just now.

I didn't mention the biggest issue which is the unbelievably strong smell of air freshener.  They mist have used a pint of silicone on the plastic surfaces as they shine more than the paint, and maybe upwards of a gallon of something on the fabric, which is otherwise immaculate.  The Vax carpet cleaner will be employed if the weather stays as good as forecast since two weeks of leaving all the doors open has done nothing to diminish it.  All other suggestions welcome.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

🐝 Re the overpowering air freshener smell. Could be previous owners had dogs, amazing how that wet smelly dog thing permeates everything that is a job to shift. Maybe a heavy smoker and the effects of any/all of this when shut up/parked for all that time.
Moss on the cabin filter won't help, someone found a dead mouse in theirs. 🐭
This filter must be no.1 on the list of missed jobs.
My 120 had definitely had dogs in it before, as like yours, it smelt very fresh when bought, but the smell kept coming back,
I tried various things and eventually a Dakota odour bomb sorted it out.
They have some weird and wonderful names, the one I found worked best aroma wise was 'Natural'. Natural what, I dont know, it does have an odd smell, but not nasty, the one to avoid is 'New Car' smell. Cats Pi55 to me. 😾
The odour bomb definately removes smells/odours, rather than mask, and the trigger can be locked down and left with doors/windows shut. This is overpowering - too much. Just give the interior a good squirt in all areas and leave overnight.

The holes in the floor wouldn't necessarily show corrosion if it had all been cut out, very strange.
wooly0000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all i went to Mr Ts here in Wigan on Saturday, to pick an oil filter up, the spares department told me they are becoming rare as they only now keep one in stock on the shelf  Shocked
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's becoming rare, the 120's or the oil filters ?

If it's the filters, with the 10 I've got in stock, they will be worth more than the landcruiser. 😂
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odour Bomb sounds good, I'll track one down.  I agree the current smell is likely to be the result of covering up something else.  No sign of dogs, and only sign of smoking was in one rear door ashtray, the others look pristine.  I expected something more like horse or farmyard but no real evidence of either.

The floor holes looked perfectly square and in line with each other, also well forward in the floor. The currently rusty part is right at the rear edge.  I'll have another look at the underside when I get it back.

I've been using Bosch filters for all my motors for the last few years after finding out that the Crossland filters were Europarts' own make and likely not the best.  Not that they caused any problems but the Bosch are only slightly dearer and I reckon they are pretty high on the quality scale.  They're readily available too which helps.

It would be really useful in the long term to build up a cross reference of parts that fit the LC's against other models and even makes as parts get scarcer over time.  I'm also mindful that there could be some government strategy to push diesel vehicles off the road in the future.  The classic car groups are good but it's the vehicles that are not quite old enough for them that the public can be brainwashed into scrapping.
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakota odour bomb - "eliminates odours caused from urine, faeces, decay, rancidity and fire"  Will there be anything left of my 18 year old motor once that lot's gone?  One can does an entire hotel room, I'm going to see if it's up to the challenge.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was about 18 months/2 years ago when I used the odour bomb, and still no smells even from the bomb now.
They do treat a good size as you have pointed out, but if you let the lot go at once, you wont be able to get in there for a month, it will choke you. I did mine overnight, spraying the carpets throughout too. Worked well for me, and if by some slim chance the smell ever did come back, there is plenty in reserve to do again.

I reckon a farmer cut those holes for his kids to sit in the back tipping seed out while he drove across the fields. 😂🤣😂🤣
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: