All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Owner Maintenance Advice

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl2000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think SCV's need any coding with techstream - I certainly never did any on mine anyway!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 23:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 120 will need the red and green scv , the single 60 quid one is for the later models and at that price will be after market part or direct from Denso part , the toyota scv are made by denso with toyota markup prices , you do not need to code in SCVs its just injectors that need coding and in the early 120s like yours it  is not necessary to code the injectors as the ecu will adjust its self to the new injectors , the noise you can hear that is under the car you could try looking at the exhaust shields as when the shields mounting bolt washers wear out the shields can rattle at light throttle etc .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,
Glad the trip went well.
Never needed to code my scv either, just a straight swap as Karl.
Ref. brakes.  Personally, I wouldn't just replace a complete caliper set one side only, especially as the opposoite side has it's own problems anyway. You can never trust what someone else has done anywhere when you find lash ups.
It's not just some 'mechanics ? have low standards, there are plenty of home bodgers out there armed with a bike spanner and a BFH !
You may find it grabs  to one side with all new parts one side, dont skimp on brakes.
It may be just me being fastidious, but I'm the same with tyres, If I have bought a vehicle with odd or uneven tyres I will replace a minimum of 2, never 1, and if one brake pipe is corroded, I will replace both sides.
I look at it like preventative maintenance, spend a bit now, not a lot later.
Agree with Tony, look at heat shields, a common cause of rattles/noises, mine do it, especially the one where the exhaust goes over the rear axle. The pie dish construction of these and a bit of corrosion makes them loose around the bolt heads.
Solution - undo the bolts and put a bigger washer under the head, IF you can get the buggers undone !
Those o/s front fogs are a pita, loads around when you look, they always end up with damp ingress. My o/s had condensation in it that wouldn't dry out, resulting in the reflector peeling. I bought another good used one last year to fit, now the n/s one has started
Karl is the expert on getting them out. 😁
karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tractionman change calipers both sides at the same time , I changed my front  over 4 years ago due to the front passenger inner side pistons sticking making the car pull to the drivers side under heavy braking , I got front pair from a company called KVA international a British company on e bay at the time they were 135 quid a pair , I was so impressed with the quality I got a rear pair as well for about 120 quid a pair , the only thing with the rear they did not come included with the stainless steel fitting shim clips for the pads , if you do need to change the exhaust shield washes because the holes for the bolts get bigger with vibration wear because like tractionman said they are like foil that piemakers use for the base of pies and pass the small bolts and rattle onto the exhaust with the vibration  ,  damage due to *beep* mechanics is common nowadays , as is the bodger with only bike spanners and big hammers 😂😂😂
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive dealt with KVA too Tony, also known as KS. I believe, from Ruislip in Middlesex.👍
Good gear, usually pattern parts that fit, at great prices.
Bodgers dont just use  big hammers Tony, let's have it right - they use BFH's !! 😁
I was looking at Bigg Red stuff yesterday, and their calipers look like they were cast in the frog of a brick in someone's back garden.
They are supposed to have a reputation for quality brake stuff and rebuilds, but after seeing the picture, I wouldnt bother.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been impressed with bigg red stuff even the name sounds micky mouse to me , after I fitted the KVA calipers  I thought I should have lacquered or painted them first because I thought they will lose the bright new look shine and turn a dark rusty look like the originals , but they must have been lacquered at factory already because 4 years on  and even when covered in brake dust as I only wash the 120 2 times a year and give it a coat of carplan number 1 supergloss each time after a wash for sun protection , as I might only drive it once a year in the rain as its sunny every day here so the car stays clean apart from the wheels getting covered in brake dust with just a water hosing they they shine like new again .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will do for me Tony. 👌
It means now you have more Lidl metal paint for other jobs !
When you first mentioned that some years ago, I had just painted my front gate with white Hammerite I had left, and the side gate needed doing. As there are only limited Lidl colours anyway, and they didn't have any white I bought black and used that.
Both gates had the same strip, prep and etch primer, the Hammerite one is peeling and going rusty again, the Lidl one is dull but just as good as the day I did it.
Your recommendations for stuff is always tried, tested and spot on ! 👍
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the lidl paint is less than 1/2 price of hamnerrite   I only paid 7 euros a litre for the lidl paint , but I do 2 thick coats of the lidl paint leaving 24 hours between each coat .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think I bought it?? 😐
Yep, real good value and not that watery shite either.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prep work is the key to success , using wire brushes , die grinder with wire wheel brush and grinding stones and a dremel with one of those extension cable with a pen like end to get into tight spots with different grinding stones  bringing it all back to good clean bare metal , on thicker  rusty spots I used jelonite with an old tooth brush to work it in before it could just dry on as its an acid and it activates more to do its job as you work it in with the tooth brush ,  I did the whole chassis including cross members , axle , fuel tank bash cover , both engine bash plates  both sides , inner sills , and underbelly ,engine bay , control arms etc , the whole job took about 100 hours over 3 months ,  that was 2 years ago and it has lost its glossy shine which is a good thing because it all looks  like it should look , but no rust has reformed so all is good . I have used 3 black 1 litre tins and 1/4 of silver tin for the engine bay , I have yet to do the propshaft , will do that when I get some more black when lidl sell it again , pity they only sell it here about 3 times a year and it soon runs out ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself,Karl and Juddian all subscribe to that, very labour intensive and very messy, but very satisfying.
You know what to do next time the paint is on sale Tony, - buy more - loads of it !! 🤣🤣
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍Will do , every thursday morning I look on the lidl website to see what offers are going to be for the next week so I know a week in hand what they will be selling for the diy/tools section ,😃
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same over here (As you know) the problem is though, every store doesn't receive an allocation, and some get more than others, so it may be on website or leaflet in store,but they may have never had any in the first place, or only had 5 which sold out straight away. Moral -: get it while you can !
Some are one hit wonders, but the paint always comes again.
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, a bit to keep me going there.  Good that the suction control valves don't need programming, shame about the price, but looks to be an easy job.

I'm changing the caliper more because the dust seals are mullered so the pistons will have started to corrode.  There's not an imbalance yet, having said that I fully expect to change the other side but they're the same to buy singly as a pair so a bit less clutter for a week.  Who knows what surprises await on the other side.  If there's an issue I just won't use it for a week.  Bought a fitting kit from Bigg Red just in case, they're often in the classic car mags so surprised their new stuff isn't the best.  

I'm sure I will find the source of the rattle eventually. Exhaust is a good shout, it's dead easy to see given the ground clearance.

Bought a rear fog lamp from KS International, the rest of their catalogue looks good too.  Interesting dual pricing model - higher with free postage on e-bay, lower with postage added on website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: