Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Owner Maintenance Advice

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you change your scv's × 2 - red and green, thoroughly clean all around the area first, and be scrupulously clean in doing the job.
You don't want even a speck of *beep* in there..
Good luck with the rear fog light, bumper off job.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Beekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumper off job - that's a challenge.  While the bumper may well fall off unaided, I reckon I only need to remove the nut on the back of the lamp.  Of course the stud spins round so I have to drill or grind it off in a limited space.  Will let you know how it goes. Daren't touch the rear lamps yet as the mounting brackets are about 50% missing.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Par for the course Beekeeper.
One of my rear frogs were loose due to corroded studs. Shrouds around the lights rotted too.
I replaced those, drilled a hole in the bottom and painted before assembling.
There is very little room with the bumper on, and it's a struggle just to replace bulbs.
With the bumper off, (be prepared for snapped bolts and bracketry) you have all the room you need to engineer/replace any busted/missing stuff
Obviously, you will have to disconnect multiplugs for fog and rear light/indicators and parking sensors if you have them.
I had a step that I laid the bumper on (similar height) after unbolting, then unplugged stuff that was a *beep* to get at.
I got the shrouds from KVA distributors, made some of the bracketry, other bits Mr T.
Good luck.
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just get a 100, just saying like Laughing  dontknow
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've not had time or needed to do much on the LC for a couple of months, I did get round to looking at the oil filter.  When I purchased the car the dealer had done a 'service' or at least changed the oil, oil filter and fuel filter.  I dropped the oil to check the pickup, which was clear, and replaced the oil with new.  The filter however evaded attempts to remove it and was left in place, being after all only a couple of weeks old and Europarts finest Crossland own brand.  Now I'd read a while back that quality on these had slipped and they were now largely made in China.  Whether true or not I decided to use Bosch filters on my own cars from then on, so I became a bit suspicious when the oil pressure light on the LC took 3 or so seconds to extinguish when the engine was started from cold, but not when hot.  Although the Europarts filters appear to have the anti-drain flap rubber I suspect it wasn't working.  Our van fitter at work had a large enough filter removal socket and a Bosch filter was installed.  Happily ad unsurprisingly the oil pressure delay is now resolved.

So not all filters are created equal!  I see the normal advice here is to use Toyota filters, and while not disagreeing there are other reliable brands where the manufacturers own are not readily obtainable.

I also replaced the damaged front caliper and now see that all the dust seals are in tatters so they may be the originals.  I've got one for the other side ready to go on along with coolant to be changed.  After that it's a case of getting it ready for the winter and an MOT in February.  I don't really want the aged LC covered in road salt but what's the point in having a 4x4 and not using it in the snow?
RobS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 15:27    Post subject: Air Suspension inverted Reply with quote

HI all enjoying the group thank you! Just bought a 2006 LC5 most things working pretty OK. One perplexing though - on the air suspension when you press the rocker switch for it to rise it goes down - and pressing down goes up. Any similar experiences or advice most welcome!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob I have had mine for 8 years now and never pressed the rise or lower switch , but I notice the car rises when I load it up with weight , like a few months ago I loaded the car up with 20 thirty five KGs bags of granite stones with the seats down and the car switched off it looked heavily loaded but as soon as I started the engine the rear airbags lifted the car to the right level , and looked too high when I unloaded the car with the engine off and went back to normal when I started the engine , I take it you pressed the switch towards the roof on the icon switch to raise the car and with the car stopped , if so all I can think of is some one may have had the centre console up and if its possible the connector for the switch was fitted back the wrong way round . I only time I touch that switch is to turn the airbags off when I am going to jack the car up to remove any of the wheels . I always keep the tems  shocks in the sport/firmer mode so that ( in my opinion ) the shocks do less work by not traveling going up/down as much as they would in comfort mode so should last a longer life span plus the car feels more stable on faster roads and still has a nice ride ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Rob.
No ahc on mine but agree with Tony, entirely feasible as suspension works and if so, presuming the switch has 2 wires, not polarity sensitive in that case. You might consider just popping the switch out and gently rotating it 180 wiring permitting and replacing it, serves same purpose as swapping wires.
Mr T very often uses nylon connector blocks to plug everything in that can only go on one way, so maybe the switch has been reversed fitted at some point, and not the wiring. You will see when you have switch out which way to go.
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beekeeper wrote:
While I've not had time or needed to do much on the LC for a couple of months, I did get round to looking at the oil filter.  When I purchased the car the dealer had done a 'service' or at least changed the oil, oil filter and fuel filter.  I dropped the oil to check the pickup, which was clear, and replaced the oil with new.  The filter however evaded attempts to remove it and was left in place, being after all only a couple of weeks old and Europarts finest Crossland own brand.  Now I'd read a while back that quality on these had slipped and they were now largely made in China.  Whether true or not I decided to use Bosch filters on my own cars from then on, so I became a bit suspicious when the oil pressure light on the LC took 3 or so seconds to extinguish when the engine was started from cold, but not when hot.  Although the Europarts filters appear to have the anti-drain flap rubber I suspect it wasn't working.  Our van fitter at work had a large enough filter removal socket and a Bosch filter was installed.  Happily ad unsurprisingly the oil pressure delay is now resolved.

So not all filters are created equal!  I see the normal advice here is to use Toyota filters, and while not disagreeing there are other reliable brands where the manufacturers own are not readily obtainable.

I also replaced the damaged front caliper and now see that all the dust seals are in tatters so they may be the originals.  I've got one for the other side ready to go on along with coolant to be changed.  After that it's a case of getting it ready for the winter and an MOT in February.  I don't really want the aged LC covered in road salt but what's the point in having a 4x4 and not using it in the snow?

Had similar delayed time for the oil pressure light to go out after starting cold, about 1 second, that was with Wix filters, generally regarded as good.
Bought Hengst filters and that's now a resolved issue (so got half a dozen when they were on offer) , so presumably something to do with how effective the valve in the filter is or isn't, doesn't help that our filters are situated upside down, something i dislike as prefer to pre fill filters with oil before offering them up.

I've got several oil filter removal tools, the one that works every time is the chain type, the strap type is easier to use and thinner but inclined to slip and there isn't a great deal of space around the filter on our cars so you want instant grip.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juddian I too like to prefill oil filters before fitting but I found that filling the filter with oil 20 minuite before fitting allows the filter medea to soak up the oil so that when you fit it its just looks wet with oil inside and you can turn it upside down to fit it without oil pouring out , that is with using the original toyota oil filter , dont know if there is enough filter medea in aftermarket one to hold/soak up the oil .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you both ref. prefilling.
Always used genuine filters on mine, although can be expensive unless on offer, just my preference.
I too find upside down oil filters to be a daft idea, I don't think the modern way of thinking, whatever that is here, takes into account any old school tried and tested methods at all, utilising pre filling and gravity in the main.Also filters on older cars always used to be nearer the bottom of block ?
Pouring oil in an engine with an upside down filter, surely can't fill it completely as almost reverse gravity needed, there for the pump has to work that bit harder on initial turnover/start up to completely fill it and then pump around system ? That having been said, I always find time for a cuppa after the filling stage, so oil as far as possible can get where it wants to go, before turnover/start.

Good idea Tony, I suppose there are minimal drips fitting it, and a cloth still used under/around it ? It's a *beep* to clear around that area and the drip tray around the circumferance afterwards.I do like a clean engine. 😀

I've got various filter removal tools like you guys, but find the 14 flute ? one and socket works fine on genuine filters, or the 3 jaw type that grip more as pressure is applied. Different flutes for different filters are out there too.
The strap type can slip if Popeye fitted the filter last, and chain just rips into it in same scenario, no problem when we have used common sense tightening.

Fuel filter can be worse, both Karl and I on initial change, had to put the filter housing in the vice to remove filter.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the oil filter drip on fitting as I screw it on as quick as I can . Toyota  filters can be expensive I got mine in bulk from burrows toyota 8 years ago 3x boxes of 10  worked out at including delivery by burrows themselves 6.45 each  .
I agree with you tractionman about the fuel filter , first time I changed mine it came off no problem by hand , I fitted the new one as tight as I could by hand , 6k miles later I could not unscrew it by hand at all I needed to put it in a vice and use one of those 3 pronged exspandable 3 pronged oil filter removal tools to unscrew it . Since then I dont tighten it nowhere near as much .
RobS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
Hi Rob I have had mine for 8 years now and never pressed the rise or lower switch , but I notice the car rises when I load it up with weight , like a few months ago I loaded the car up with 20 thirty five KGs bags of granite stones with the seats down and the car switched off it looked heavily loaded but as soon as I started the engine the rear airbags lifted the car to the right level , and looked too high when I unloaded the car with the engine off and went back to normal when I started the engine , I take it you pressed the switch towards the roof on the icon switch to raise the car and with the car stopped , if so all I can think of is some one may have had the centre console up and if its possible the connector for the switch was fitted back the wrong way round . I only time I touch that switch is to turn the airbags off when I am going to jack the car up to remove any of the wheels . I always keep the tems  shocks in the sport/firmer mode so that ( in my opinion ) the shocks do less work by not traveling going up/down as much as they would in comfort mode so should last a longer life span plus the car feels more stable on faster roads and still has a nice ride ,

Thanks so much that is a great help. I will change the TEM to sport/firmer and will prise the switch out to see if there is an obvious fix!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, + 1 for Burrows. Used them many times for all gen Toyota filters, oils, coolants, etc always cheaper than others including other main dealers. Roughtrax is my preferred, but if you can't make about £90 they hit you with delivery, Milners also do the same although the buy limit is slightly lower.
We had heard you are a quick screwer and don't get any drips, I have a job to keep up with a tortoise these days. 😀

Rob. IIRC the holding prongs for the switches are at either end, and after initial movement you should be able to get something like a thin butter knife carefully in there to bend the plastic prongs inward towards switch while pulling gently one end at a time.
Tony told me the butter knife trick many moons ago when I had to get my centre console apart to do the floppy gearshift mod..
Don't tell 'er indoors though !
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now use plastic trim removers , got a set of 4 different shape sizes  on e bay for about £5 a set , good thing with these is they do not scratch the trim you are removing and they fit into the thinnest gaps and there lever shapes make removing trim and interior light trim so much easier .😃   only prob is they come from China so take a month to get them delivered to Cyprus , UK delivery could be quicker .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: