4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

120 Auto box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 18:29    Post subject: 120 Auto box Reply with quote

After getting the gearbox flushed twice, my 120 autobox still has the shakes and the garage that changed the steering UJ bit reckon the torque converter is most likely the problem, but I'd want a recon box at the same time, because the buggere torque converter does bad stuff to the box.

Anyone know of a company in the Bristol area who can be trusted to do a good job without bending me over too far? The place I would have assumed to be good, having been around a long time, got a big thumbs down by the guys I saw today.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 18:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind box is it, 4 ot 5 speed? Whats the symptoms you're having?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ATF has been left unchanged for too long the damage has been done , flushing it will make no difference in fact if the ATF was in very bad condition where in came out like thick gravy flushing it will make matters worse because the thick ATF caused by worn linings and components when flushed out makes for wider tolerances so the new ATF is less effective due to the worn linings and worn parts , it pays to do the ATF changes and all other fluid and oil changes ON TIME before damage can be done due to neglect . some thing tells me you have the 4 speed auto box as that box needs fluid changes on time because the 5 speed auto box can take much longer time and mileage with out ATF drain and refill before it wears out , but even the 5 speed can wear out in 300k miles if you neglect it from changing the ATF .
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly it was like it when I bought the car.

The dishonest motor trader allowed it to tickover for god knows how long, so that when I test drove it, it was fine.

When it is fully warm there are no real symptoms. When it is cold and the car tricks over in Drive is sounds and feels well rough eg at traffic lights.

Changing the ATF did lessen the symptoms, but not eradicated them all together.

The first garage who changed the filter, but only changed the ATF in its sump told me that the fluid was really filthy. I then had a full flush done by Gloucester Road Gearboxes in Bristol.

The second flush didn't really seem to make a lot of difference.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand what you are saying , when I lived in the UK  my 5 speed did the same when cold , especially at traffic lights etc when I stopped and still in D , I used to flick it into N until I was ready to drive off , I had a Lexus LS400 that did exactly the same when  cold  , I think it is a charistic of these cars and many people will tell you that , in warmer weather it is less pronounced  , if it still doing it in full running temp or when driving it could be one or more of your engine mounts have a vacume leak or your TC ,
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony.

The fact that it has been improved with an oil flush hints at it being gearbox. I really hope I'm wrong, as that is properly expensive Sad
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the car shudder when cold when driving or just when stationary and in D ,  my car used to do it when cold in the UK but only did for the first time here 3 weeks ago when we had a cold morning when it was only 14 centergrade that morning I went out , not done it since .and mine is low miles 87k , and I did a flush at 70k miles and as it is a 5 speed I used WS spec ATF synthetic specially for Toyota  5 and 6 speed Auto transmissions made by a company called Mannol , I also put in some platinum lube guard .
Ralpharama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only happens when stopped eg at lights. It only stops when it is really up to full working temperature, ie on a longish journey not a short five mile run.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car does not have a fault , it is how all 5 speed autos do on the on 120s even more so if you have the electrics on and the revs are higher , I think its the richer fuel mix when cold that when in D the car wants to go forward and with the brakes on stopping it going forward it causes the car to shudder . if you let go of the brakes in D when cold the car can drive on forward with out touching the gas peddle on a level road , so put your mind at rest as its the character of the 5 speed , I dont know how the 4 speed drives as I have never driven one but would not surprise me if it too does the same . The autos in the 120s are known as one of the most reliable of any car ,
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder if it was the usual 120 shudder, hence the question about symptoms!

Smile

Good advice from Tony as ever.

Here's an interesting one for you... can you get any presses on the primer pump on the diesel filter?  If so, and you pump it until it's hard, does it  help the shudder when cold?

Weird question I know, all circumstantial, but.....

I don't think its your gearbox.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 on all the above. Many have the same problem
With that shudder, (mine is more of a pulse) and start up clatter until warm, prompted by Karl we had a little experiment with the fuel pump primer. With mine after leaving parked overnight, I can get 4 pumps until solid, after which it starts with no pulsing and no clatter, just as if its a warm engine. Starting without the priming is equally as easy (instant) start, but pulses and clatters with no apparent diesel leaks or smell until warm.
Although it's not due for a filter change, I have a new one to put on along with a one way non return valve in case diesel is running back to the tank overnight.
It may be in no way connected with what you are experiencing, but do as Karl suggests and report back.
Pauldublin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 20:31    Post subject: 120 Autobox Reply with quote

Hi

I have the same problem right now. When i go into drive there is a violent shudder. It then drives ok but intermittently there is small loss of power. I cant get into high gear on motorway and the
engines revs to 4500.

A transmission company here in Dublin have said it is the ECU for the gearbox. He has a solution which i will have to get done as the part is listed as no longer available from Toyota.

I will post an update once the work is done.

In the meantime does anybody know where the ECU is located, it is easily removable and then I could send it to ecutesting.com for repair.
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the 4 or 5 speed box?

Is your ATF level ok?  Ever been changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: