4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Loud clunk when selecting between drive and reverse.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budgey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:16    Post subject: Loud clunk when selecting between drive and reverse. Reply with quote

Hi all,

A while ago I felt some movement when lifting on-and-off the gas during normal driving. I had had that symptom before a few years back, and I took up some play by greasing the propshaft. This time round however it didn't make any difference, and now about 1000 miles later a loud clonk has developed when shifting between drive & reverse and vice versa. I have laid underneath while my other half shifted between the gears. I can see zero movement in the prop universal joints and the noise which sounds very metal to metal seems to be coming from the engine end. My LC is D4D 3.0 and has covered 160,000 miles. I have the 4spd auto. The box was flushed and refilled about 5-years ago and currently shifts fine between the gears. Does this sound like more of a mounting issue - possibly engine mounts? I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar, or had any other ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wooly0000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Budgie how are the gearbox rubber mountings?
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much play is in the propshaft?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you have greased the uni joints as there are 4 have you greased the 2 sliding joints that work smother when greased with moly lith grease instead of the normal lith grease that the uni joints call for , it is good practice to have 2 separate grease  guns  one gun for the 4 uni joints filled with normal muti purpose lith grease and one  gun for the 2 sliding joints filled with moly lith  grease ,
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Tony - I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one with two grease guns for exactly that! Smile
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍😃
budgey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Budgie how are the gearbox rubber mountings?

Hi wooly0000!

When you say the gearbox rubber mounts, are you talking about the one between the gearbox & crossmember - or are there others?

I will check that one in the meantime.

Quote:
How much play is in the propshaft?

Hi Karl2000!

I don't see any play in the propshaft really. The noise is definitely coming from down the front (engine end). I will spend some more time under there and double check though.

Thanks to you and TonyCY11 for the information re greasing - I will definitely take that on board.  Smile
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many tools. 😄
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true TM 👍😃
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually got 4 grease guns Tony. Not bragging, but I have always found the same as you and Karl, one is not enough for different jobs.
In the early days grease guns were refillable as you know, buy a commercial size tub or tubs and spoon it in. I used an old dinner spoon, at least that's what I told her when she caught me with it !! 😂
As time progressed, I moved on up to the cartridge type, - less mess ! 👌
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Here's what I've been using:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07LCTHPLX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002E2LR72
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, decent products those Karl. I use Gggranville tubs of greases for stufff I want to liberally smear with fingers, and lucas cartridge grease for gun. They do lots of varieties, the heavy duty green one I use a lot on trailer bearings, really sticky with low wash out properties, the red is nice and tacky too, but in the main use moly, lmp, or white lithium depending what its for.
I do stray off the recommended at times, just use my common sense with what I'm using it for. Everyone's got their favourites.
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate good to have your view on them!

I got them off Amazon because they're open all hours.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍👍 Yep, same as Midnight Motors, Arwright gives discount if you catch him in the right mood ! 🤔
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 grease guns 1 of those big old type with the lever at the side that you refill with a  spoon   that Were no good for use on the 120 as it was too big to get in the ujs, and 2 small sealy pistol types  that are perfect for the 120 , 1 that I fill with the castrol moly that Karl has shown , to refill it I leave the small empty cartridge  pull the lever back and lock it back with the tab and unscrew the top of the gun and fill it with dinner knife ,the moly one for the sliding joints I have it with the short metal straight spout and the other one I use the long flexy spout and fill it the same way with fuch synthetic rg2 racing grease , the purple type that has a nice smell ,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: