Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Toyota 150 Tyre Pressure Sensor pickup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 18:27    Post subject: Toyota 150 Tyre Pressure Sensor pickup Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I managed to take my 150 for a swim in the sea last year while launching a boat.  Surprisingly, or maybe not, I've managed to mostly get away with it... I've had to disconnect, clean and reconnect a number of the electrical connectors, wheel speed and fuel tank to name two... but I now have a tyre pressure warning... all the pressures are good, so first step I'm thinking is to track, check and clean the sensor, but I've no idea where it is.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance
John
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 18:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sensors are on the inside of the wheel, i.e you have to take the tyre off to change it.

Can you tell which wheel has the warning?  Is it the spare underneath?
andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get genuine sensors on eB ay for around £20-30 , and I think they have a small battery in them which eventually runs out,, so it might be worth doing all 4 at the same time.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="karl2000"]I think the sensors are on the inside of the wheel, i.e you have to take the tyre off to change it.

Can you tell which wheel has the warning?  Is it the spare underneath?[/quote]

you are right, there will be a sensor in each wheel, including the spare, but there's got to be a pickup for that somewhere on the vehicle.

I lost all speed, traction and ABS when I first got her back to dry land, I fixed that by disconnecting and cleaning all of the contacts to the speed sensors in each corner... you just track back from each one, disconnect clean with contact cleaner and apply a little marine electrical grease...  Had to do the same with the fuel sender.

Admittedly it could be a battery gone in a senor, but I'm guessing its the same as above, just don't know where to start looking for the receiver
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see what you mean, you want the ECU end of the system.  Can't help you unfortunately, but I'd expect it to be inside with the other ECUs rather than being underneath.

Have you tried resetting the system - is there a procedure for that in the manual?
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="karl2000"]Oh I see what you mean, you want the ECU end of the system.  Can't help you unfortunately, but I'd expect it to be inside with the other ECUs rather than being underneath.

Have you tried resetting the system - is there a procedure for that in the manual?[/quote]

I've looked online and in the manual, there's no reset procedure that I can find that makes any sense to the vehicle... I'm guessing that's all through the ODB II interface.

Have you found a good one that works?  I managed to find a local garage that had a Snapon system, but it's not exactly a cheap personal purchase Very Happy
andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on a Google search, hope it helps.

Does Prado have TPMS?
How do you reset the tyre pressure on a Toyota Prado?
To reset the system, first make sure the tire pressures are correct. Turn the engine on, then press and hold the reset button. You'll find it low and to the right of the steering wheel on the instrument panel. Hold the button down until the TPMS indicator light in the instrument panel blinks slowly 3 three times.

Where is the Toyota TPMS button?
The TPMS reset button is usually located beneath the steering wheel. If you are unable to find it, refer to your vehicle's owner's manual. Inflate all tires to 3 PSI over their recommended amount, then deflate them completely.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toyota TPMS system is a right pain in the a$$.

You could always try a local tyre fitting shop, as most of them will have TPMS programming tools, and ask them to check all 4 wheel sensors are working, they will basically trigger/ping at each wheel valve, and if the sensor pings back, then it’s working, and if all 4 respond, then you’d know it’s not the sensors.

Then, if they have an OBDII reader, they can plug that into the car, and see live, or historical data, both or either of these actions should help to guide where the fault lies, may be a small charge for it etc.

And, if/when they did this, record the TPMS sensor codes between the ODBII tool, and the TPMS tool,  I.e. if turns out 1, or more sensor is not working, then from the readings between the ODBII reader (historical data will show all the sensor codes) and the TPMS reprogramming tool (will only show the codes of sensors that work), you’ll be able to ID which sensor c/W code isn’t working, and then from this, you could buy the TPMS sensor from flea bay “pre-programmed” with the code you’ve supplied.

FYI, I’ve done this using a Foxwell Nt624 OBDII reader and an Autel TPMS reprogramming tool, which are an outlay (because I change from winter to summer wheels, having to do the re-learn each time to the pain in the a$$ Toyota TPMS system, unlike most other manufacturers we the TPMS system relearns automatically!!!!!!) , the reason for suggesting to go to a local “friendly” tyre shop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: