All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser front wing replacement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 20:20    Post subject: Landcruiser front wing replacement Reply with quote

My brother in law needs a new nearside front wing on his landcruiser due to the original rusting. To my surprise the wheelarch "extension" that is rusting away on his is plastic on mine! His is an 04 whilst mine is an 06. The problem arises when trying to buy a new wing. They come with holes in or without holes in? I am assuming those with holes in are for the attachment of plastic trim - so do those without holes come with an integral flared wheelarch in metal?

Any recommendations of suppliers of replacement wings would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 20:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Index, my 06 has plasic extensions too.
These wings have a flair on them anyway, with the plastic clipped over the top, - are you sure a former owner hasn't removed the plastic extensions, (as they encourage rust behind them,) and filled the holes ? Have a look.
It makes no sense for Toyota to use 2 lots of presses for the same vehicle shape, albeit different years, but manufacturers have 'odd' ideas that dont make sense from time to time.
Keep us informed, this is an interesting one.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here in Cyprus the commercial version of the 120 have no plastic wheelarch extentions as well as have16 inch steel wheels or  16 inch alloy ones that are a cheaper looking version  compared to the standard 120 , if I remember in the UK upto 2004 the lc1 or lc2 were like the the commercial versions that I see here .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The commercial version here have no plastic cladding on the doors here either and the bumpers  look a bit narrower also .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍👍 I don't think the commercials have any windows to the rear, do they Tony ?.

Ibex, sorry I got name wrong, bloody predictive cobblers.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they do TM , they are used by the waterboard , fire station , landregestry and some other private companys and UN here also use them  and all have the 1kz engine instead of the 1kd , they are the very basic version of the 120s .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's me thinking that commercials didn't have rear windows because of a road tax concession. 🙄
I'm sure they did at one time, - whatever we buy these days we get screwed !  😑
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might not be classed as commercials for tax savings  but are the very basic 120s that are called prado that are used by government groups and companys as well as the UN here , the police here in Larnaca use high spec 150s  that are also called prado
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 maybe that's what Ibex's bil has got then Tony.
Hopefully we will find out in the fullness of time.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍looks that way TM , time will tell 😃
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 All good 120 info once again, anyway Tony. Another school day. 🤗
Ibex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:41    Post subject: Front wing replacement Reply with quote

It would appear then that Toyota must make only one front wing panel for the 120? You either get the basic steel one for the narrower look of the commercial oriented vehicle - or you get one with extra holes in for the plastic receptacles that take the clips that hold on the plastic wheel arch extensions? So when Roughtrax 4x4 ask whether you want your wing with or without holes - that will be what they need to know?

Dave
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very much like same wing, but with/without holes punched in, with plastic - holes, without plastic - no holes.
Have you actually tried measuring yours and bil's to check for any difference.
Roughtrax are very knowledgeable and helpful, and are happy to chat/answer any queries, might be worth a call for info.
Ibex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a wing advertised on e bay at £65, which looked good and I couldn't make out any holes in the wheelarches on the photograph. When it arrived it was a good quality panel - but it still had the holes in it! The mounting points are also different. My BIL has spoken to his friendly bodyshop who had previously failed to find the correct panel - "because they are very rare". The chap believes he can modify this wing to suit and the result will be indistinguishable from having the right part - so BIL is is going ahead with the job.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. Hope I never need a new wing on mine!

Dave
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Ibex. 👍
I think I looked at that one too, and I couldnt see any holes !
Anyhoo, your body shop is on it, which is good. Is there any/much difference in actual size ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: