4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New user hello and please advice on checking a used 95

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi modvrs, thanks, value the opinions. Seller clearly is a backyard dealer, not the best but I figure a 20yo vehicle would likely be sold as spares/repair by most dealers anyway. Dvla confirmed they have the yellow dealer slip submitted for the car, Hpi check is clear… at first I was concerned it was someone selling a car without any entitlement…that would have been an even bigger red flag!
The fact that yours has had a similar oil situation for 10 years gives me some confidence too. Will eventually need liking after but hopefully not right away.
Rear axle I hope it can be cleaned up and careful application of rust converter may keep it running for a while, same for rusty spots on the chassis I suppose.

Harsh reminder of the sub 20mpg… but true!!! 😭
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MikeJak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks diggerdave
Agree about rust being a journey!
Luckily despite the backyard dealer-seller the truck has had one owner and all documents are included, 17services , one every 10000m or so, gearbox rebuilt and new rad in 2020, new exhaust in 2021
Cheap and dated tires will need changing and brake pads will need changing as well as suspensions…
So will be a bit of money to throw at it for sure. Part of the fun of running a dated car I guess. Just trying to take on a project and not a total money pit from the get go 😅
I will talk to the seller today, I think for the right price I’ll go for it…
Vagabond

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, have you bought it yet?
MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did…
Well, paid a deposit and agreed a price, I think reasonable, and I’m picking it up tomorrow morning…
Fingers crossed. I will feel more relaxed after we make effortlessly the 60m drive to take it home 😁

I will start taking care of the basics, fluids-filters-tyres and taking care of the rusting. Long term plan is to build it a bit as an overlander… I have a roof tent so hopefully it will take us places!
…just need to find a good name for it now 😁
Thank you for everyone’s help, really appreciated.
I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow!
andy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures as soon as you get home please.  Very Happy
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, certainly will do! And not just the ones of a rusty axle and an oily engine!
diggerdave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife insists on calling our truck 'Fluffy'.  Rolling Eyes
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂 You should never have divulged that Dave. 👍
MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffy is a good one…I am unsure what my wife will call mine once she sees it…she’s somewhat less convinced then I am about it being a clever purchase…. Mud life crisis I suppose  Embarassed
MikeJak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove home this morning…as they say proud new owner!
The driveway was smooth and uneventful, gears run smoothly and the engine never went above mid range on the temp gauge despite a fair bit of stop and go on the M25…
Aircon works well and in the boot there is the retracting cover and 3 original Toyota roof bars..

The cd loader seems stuck but and the aerial deploy retract seems to be the only thing not working.

Some suspicious outside wear on the rear offside tyre could be the axle bearing gone but hopefully will just be the suspension past it’s best and poor tyre pressure… will check.
Very excited about the new toy…

[img]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d3oUhIZ7yNBKfxgwVeCNROIg[/img]
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your initial impressions are good, and homeward drive uneventful.
Nice it still has original load cover too, and roof bars are a bonus.
I wouldn't worry too much about the wear you find suspicious on a rear tyre, unless of course you find something to back it up.
What usually happens is, very few people rotate their tyres anymore, and fronts with the heavier weight and power steering tend to wear more. I would say your tyre is one that had come off the front, when someone has noticed it too late and changed it to the rear so it doesn't get any more uneven wear. Tracking could be/have been a problem too !
Normally stuff like that gets picked up on mot as advisory, is your spare ok or worn and odd ?
Good luck with your new purchase.
MikeJak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tractionman!
That’s what I am hoping for the tyre wear. The spare has similar outer edge wear but less worn. The tyres currently on are pretty tired land old (and pretty cheap tyres to start with) so not particularly worrying.
Tracking is pretty good, slight left tendency but very light. The mot in feb had picked on the rear tyre and thin brake pads
I think brake pads and new rubber will be the first things I’ll look at in a few weeks together with fluids, rear diff looks like has not had oil changes in a long time. But no odd noises and decent mpg on the motorway.
No noises or clunks going over speed bumps so no major rush with bushes either…very impressed for a 21yo truck!

I’ll get it cleaned up later… thank you all for the help with taking the leap!
karl2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice that, good luck !
Vagabond

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - seems like a good find.   Very Happy

The fact that most of the things (rear locker, aircon etc) are working is a good sign.  Cool

Look forward to seeing how you progress with mods to the truck - you'll have to keep us updated.

P.S. If you don't mind, what was the price? - ball park will do.  Wink
MikeJak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all and certainly will keep you updated…and likely hassle with plenty of questions 😅

I had another good look under and around the truck, don’t think I missed anything major. The rear axle looks better then it registered the first time I went under there.
Sure, no problem about sharing the price, after discussing details and doubts with the seller ended up paying 3k, I think it’s really quite cheap for a lot of car..
I figure it’s a mix of the fact that most of the off-roading crowd prefers the diesel version and not many want a 3.4l with the current cost of petrol so likely not many buyers showing up..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: