2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New user hello and please advice on checking a used 95

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

New wheels and tires fitted. Heavy they are heavy no doubt but doesn’t seem to bother the engine or the gearbox. Starting and stopping doesn’t seem to be a problem. Noise is not particularly bad and my mechydid a stellar job at balancing them.

[img]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f4X_ZoQw_hacjUdvhbdlhhWg[/img]

Lower ball joints done too just to be safe.

Wheels are from jimny bits, 16r -20ET
Tires are toyo open country 265/75 16

They do rub on the arch and will need a bit of surgery on the weld seam hopefully this weekend.
A lift kit would no doubt sort that too..
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 18:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say..rear is low as there are 4wheels+tires in the back at the moment 😅
andy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. You definitely need a 2" lift though!
MikeJak

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and yes most definitely need a lift.. needed anyway to  refresh suspensions…. Looking at options… any suggestion welcome of course! Thinking 40mm sud lift and in case a body lift no top of that.
I have trimmed the pinch weld and remoulded a bit the arch but it still rubs a fair bit…but at least I can turn now. Went to do a few local lanes today I was quite amazed by the tires, sure they are heavy but not a wobble at 70 and super grip when off tarmac. Not too noisy either… very impressed
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspension lift yes, but I wouldn't bother with a body lift. The ONLY point of a body lift is to fit bigger tyres but a suspension lift will be perfectly adequate for the set-up you've got. Plenty of people run 40mm or 2" lifts with 265/75/16 (including me in the past). I think it's the perfect arrangement. I now use narrower tyres (235/85/16) but that looks fine with mine, which doesn't have wheel arch flares.
MikeJak

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, agree, the suspension lift will be perfectly adequate to get back the turn radius snd avoiding scrubbing. The reason I was considering the body lift was only in case the rear wheels will need more height to be able to travel without fouling the arches at full travel but I suppose with ifs at the front one of the front wheels would be well up in the air. Appreciate the tip as always.
At the moment I am looking at lift kits and spring rates while also hunting for some longer wheel studs for the front hubs, original studs are a bit short. Likely plenty to be safe but seing them not flush with the top of the nuts brings bad thoughts to mind!
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere shouldn't be a problem with fouling the rear arches. There's certainly not when using standard offset wheels. I know you've changed the offset, but only by a bit I think and I doubt it will cause problems.

I've not found the lack of articulation at the front to be a particular drawback. If you were going for some kind of gnarly off-road challenge truck then, sure, you would choose something without IFS but I don't think I've ever been in a situation when green laning when it's caused me a problem. The relative lack of front articulation (it's OK but not great) means that the back axle gets a really good workout. But the amount of rear articulation on these is massive and its very rare that I get a rear wheel lifting off. Even limited by the rear ARB the amount of articulation is good. (Removing the rear ARB gives even more travel without any obvious ill effects on the road.) I've never had a non-IFS truck (I have driven plenty of Land Rovers but not on the kind of rocky ground where you typically need the extra articulation) so I suppose I don't have a proper point of comparison, but all I can say is I've never found myself longing for better front end articulation.

AT one time, when I was a bit more cash-strapped, I lifted it using 2" spacers on top of the springs, which was actually fine and worked well. Now I have a Pedders kit fitted (with Pedders shock absorbers). I can't remember whether they quote 40mm or 2", either way it's enough. It works great but it gives quite a firm ride on the road and there's a significant increase in crashiness when going over potholes and rough roads. I find it tolerable but I know some people really don't like it. Some say using the option of Monroe shocks with Pedders' springs is a softer option (I can't vouch for that personally, but I would probably try that option in hindsight. It's a bit cheaper too).
MikeJak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice…advice from experience is super valuable.
I have set a bit of budget aside so I am looking at an OME lift kit.
The build I’m looking at is of an off road tourer, nothing too extreme.
So looks like the suspension lift will be plenty.

I am looking at the OME kit with updated springs (front for the petrolare the standard diesel ones)
As I would like to fit a covert winch at the front (around 50kg between mount and winch) and I will have a roof rack + tent on top adding 100kg)

Will diy some drawers in the back so that will add some extra fixed weight.

The springs from OME apparently are same rate but longer for the updated ones so likely to be a real 2” rather then the 40mm quoted but should keep a good ride without getting too stiff..
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's going to be a great truck.
MikeJak

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, that's the hope, I'd like to build it to last a long time too...
just waiting for delivery of full suspension bushings replacement and Old Man Emu suspension...that put a dent in the wallet!
diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is getting past its best now, so I'm quite envious of your plans. I'm staring down the barrel of a pick up to replace it, and a whole new set of issues to deal with no doubt. Probably an L200 if I can find one with a locking rear diff. Cart springs will be a bit of a shock to the system. I'll miss the rear articulation on the Colorado, but on the plus side I'll get to pull some spectacular wheelies...
MikeJak

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggerdave I think I was quite lucky to find a 90 that has had a pretty easy life.
What are the issue with yours?
L200 are great trucks, very capable and the flexibility of having a bed and possibility of canopies at the back is great for a project vehicle. A friend has one with over 600000km still on original block.
Agree about wheelies but at least will still be a live axle… they are becoming rare in any modern vehicle…
diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rapidly succumbing to rot. Lots of welding for the last two MOTs. Frustratingly most of the chassis is sound, it's just round the rear axle that's a problem (and the sills). Plus it has a mystery fault, possibly a CV joint, possibly the front diff and I'm running out of patience with it. Just one of those things really.  The mystery clunk will reveal itself sooner or later, but I don't want to be left stranded on a green lane somewhere. It's reluctant to reproduce itself on demand so my garage weren't able to spot anything obvious... nor am I. The whole things very tatty too! The rot isn't all my fault - it was far from perfect to begin with - but lots of laning and the resulting mud has taken its toll eventually.

Good to hear that L200s deserve their reputation. I'm looking around 2010/11 but finding one in budget and in reasonable nick, and with a rear difflock, is slow going. Prices of everything are getting very high. I did look at Shoguns as an alternative, but they seem prone to rot and the ones within budget have been welded, which is not what I'm after really. It also seems like you only get a rear difflock on older ones, which are the most likely to be rotten. Mitsubishi's pick ups seem to last longer. I've never been entirely convinced by pick ups (too big, leaf springs, rear overhang) but my mate swears by his (Rangers of various vintages). I'll certainly fit in where I live since every second house has a pick up and it is one of the few 'proper' 4x4 options available, as you say. I've driven Hiluxes for work before now and been impressed, though my budget won't stretch to a Hilux sadly.
MikeJak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain… diffused rot becomes a bit of a glory less fight… fix one bit to just find some more where you thought it was sound…wears you out.
Could the clunk be just from some bushing past it’s best? They can be odd at that just doing it at weird times…

The L200 surely is a good truck.. guess as usual keeping an eye out and budget at the ready for when the right one shows up..
The hilux surely are nice but with the used car market being silly as it is now they go for silly prices, a friend just sold his, bought used 5 years ago, for a profit…go figure!

I’ve ordered a full set of suspension bushings to replace while doing the suspensions, I’m getting it done by a good mechanic though..too big of a job for a driveway amateur.. I’ll spend the day assisting him and likely learning loads I dread the bill even considering mates rates but would probably take me 5 times as long to tackle it myself….and probably would get stuck somewhere anyway 😅

This should be the last big job for a while…
I also ordered the winch plate but that looks like a really easy job compared to the full suspension rebuild..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: