Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Question how long does the radiator last

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
locodriver65

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 13:00    Post subject: Question how long does the radiator last Reply with quote

Hi guys,

When I purchased my LC it was about 12 years old. I had read about radiators leaking water into the auto gearbox,,, So I  bought a new radiator.

All this was over 12 years ago. Do you think its time to replace the radiator again before any damage is done,

Regards

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 13:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Vagabond

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning to keep the Cruiser, then I would say yes, for the cost,  change it now and you will have peace of mind for the next X years.  

I was like you I changed mine when my Collie was around 12 years old and it is (probably) due another change now - however there are a few other things that need doing as a priority if I was keeping it for a few more years.
AlPrado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's what I call preventative maintenance , You could the sell the original on that web site and re coupe some cash.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:15    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi Guy

Yes I intend to keep my LC .  It is in excellent condition and now with its new axle casing must be better than most at 25 years old. 191K miles

I will take your advice and sell the old Radiator . If anyone  on this forum wants it please let me know.

I also purchased a new front number plate!

Regards

Paul
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my rad a couple weeks ago, I'm not sure there was anything wrong with it, I noticed a couple yrs ago that only the top 3rd of it ever got hot, lower 2/3rd's was always cold. I asked about it before on the forum and I think some owners said their's was the same but it always popped into my mind every now and then. So as I was going to be towing a good bit recently I said I'd change it for piece of mind.

A lot of the fins were a bit battered looking, wasn't leaking or anything but another thing I noticed was that my cruiser was very quick to reach full temp and blow hot air compared to any other diesel I have owned. I think other owners report this is normal.

Anyway, my rad looked original, was a Toyota part and the top plastic was all faded discoloured so I'm guessing it was the original.

I haven't driven it much so can't be 100% but I'm pretty sure my cruiser is behaving exactly the same since fitting the new rad, ie: bottom remains cold and gauge still reaches operating temp very quick so mine mightn't have needed swapping, but time will tell when I get few more drives  of it. I fitted a Nissens branded one by the way.

Maybe you could tell me if your cruiser heats up to operating temp very qucik and also would you know if the bottom of the rad ever gets hot even after a long enough drive? Be interesting to compare Smile
AlPrado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 90 heats up quite quick , Stays rock solid in the centre of the gauge , not felt the rad so can't help with that.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 20:01    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have changed the radiator today on the old girl.. Its easy to change just remove the pipes and the 4 bolts which hold it in place. I did remove the front part of the bash plate for easy access
to the bottom pipes. There is no need to to remove the fan. Remove the four bolts holding the fan shroud in place and you can move it back and the rad can be lifted out.

There is always some fluff and other *beep* stuck to the front of the rad. I think with the new rad the engine is running a few degrees cooler.

If any body wants the old rad which is still good give me a PM

Regards

Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ONLY use correct coolant the inside should last a very long time - and again the fins will last unless you have sprayed them with a corrosive cleaner like TFR, or if you have been power washing them to death.....

If you attach the outer surface, or if the vehicle ever had incorrect coolant then change it often LoL
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 21:44    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi
What do you think is the best coolant?

Not sure what I am using its Pink.

Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either bought from Toyota ready mixed, or high quality mixed with KNOWN water

Pink whilst does suggest its OK, doesn't 100% mean someone hasn't dosed a load of water in there too and diluted it or added hard/high mineral content water etc...

Dont make the mistake some people of thinking Mineral Water (what do you think the minerals in the water end up doing?). I have seen people put mineral water in screen wash then wonder why the water dries and leaves white water marks etc)....

If your in an area where the kettle gets loads of limescale, definitely don't use that water in the coolant! LoL
locodriver65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 23:50    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi again,

Thanks for the info.
Now have a new rad fitted I will change my pink water to a better coolant ...

regards

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota red concentrate, diluted as per instructions, and de ionised water - not distilled or anything else. This will protect your all cooling system more than adequately. Red was the order of the day with your vehicle, the pink came later with more modern vehicles and there is a difference and like a lot of others, shouldn't be  mixed. The de ionised water is vailable quite cheaply in 5ltrs at Asda, Tesco, etc.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Toyota have it ready mixed too.... unless they have discontinued that option?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the advantage of concentrate is if you don't like Toyota recommended 50/50 dilution, you can mix to your own taste whether below minus winter conditions in Scotland, or milder temps down South.
Concentrate has always been cheaper too, you're not paying someone else to mix it for you.
Horses for courses, buy more expensive pre mix and tip it straight in, or pay less and do a little work.  As they say, "yer pays yer money and takes yer choice". Decisions, decisions. 🤔😂
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I understand that, it's just ensuring you mix correctly with de-ionised water - properly de ionised water

You can also buy a waterless coolant just to confuse matters even more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: