2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

side steps LC3 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easyjet

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 22:20    Post subject: side steps LC3 2006 Reply with quote

Hi
Not been on much lately during the last 2 years my LC3 has not done 2000 miles
so not having any issues until last weekend
Stood on the offside side step and it gave way at the passengers door look under to find
the 3 brackets are intact but its where the brackets are bolted onto that`s  corroded
looks to be part of the inner sill
Anybody had this before and whats the solution (can I buy the inner sill)
Cheers
easyjet
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 22:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the joys of owning a 120, I'm afraid, when the rot creeps up on you unexpectedly sometimes.
You can buy new inner sills, aftermarket or gen, the problem is, has the rot gone further ?
One of my nearside brackets broke away and at the same time cracked around the other 2 on a sill that looked perfectly ok previously.
Like you, the brackets were intact.
When I took it to my bodyshop/classic repairer, on further investigation when I gave the go ahead, more came to light, resulting in replacement of the outer sills and lower B pillars both sides as part of the outer sill section.
There were no holes, bubbling paint or rust to give a clue, until the cracks and subsequent investigation.
He fabbed new inners and bought the correct matching profile outer sections from Toyota.
As said there was no indication of corrosion, nothing on mot's, and  I was lucky it hadn't progressed to floor or lower wheel arches.
An expensive hobby owning a 120 with their known rust issues, the underside of mine was thoroughly overhauled by me when I got it back, so it is all good again.
Hope you don't find more, good luck with it.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he's disappeared for another 2 years !!

Must've been something I said. 🤔🤣
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂😂😂
easyjet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractionman wrote:
Looks like he's disappeared for another 2 years !!

Must've been something I said. 🤔🤣

Hi Tractionman
Thanks for the info
priced a new inner from SDM in Falkirk £195.00 inc vat but what you said
about the outer sill stopped me in my tracks
Going to cut the inner away and see if the outer is corroded
Thanks again a merry Christmas Very Happy   Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍☺ Sounds like a plan to me.
There are aftermarket outer sills available at a quarter of that price, but of course aftermarket is the word.
They are 2 different lengths, I assume for swb or lwb models.
🎅🎅
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: