4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Independent Toyota Engineers in the North East of England

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍👍
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that terrible for a vehicle with such low miles Sad

That's why we always say check the oil pickup on every service if possible - so at least there can be some warning before it all goes wrong...

Sad
lanedriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Tony, this is great information and advice, I fully agree with you.

All my vehicles have engine oil & filter changes at 3k to 5k depeding on the journeys we have covered.

This is the first time I have experienced an "on road" mechanical failure - ever! I am very particular with my vehicles, lubrication and preventative maintenance is the only way to maintain trouble free motoring.

I will finish re-assembly tomorrow and test run; however, I still need to find the noise that I heard when I pulled up in Spain. I have checked the turbo for axial and radial movement, both ok and rotor spinning freely so I can't think what could have caused the noise. Any ideas would be helpful.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Karl,  so simple to check oil strainer/pick up at every service with no dismantling of parts for any early warning.
Has your Toyota mechanic any ideas on noise ?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with Karl and tractionman I always check the oil pickup at every oil change ,its insurance for the first sign of any dirt tells you your injector/s seats are leaking   , I believe the injector seats as they first start leaking starts showing a few thousand miles before they end up blocking the oil pick up and engine parts . As for the noise with out hearing it its hard to tell what part of the engine or part it was coming from .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to the Pyrenees wouldn't have helped, Tony. Maybe he should have contacted you as suggested at the start or looked up the drain hole. Preventative maintenance !
Hopefully there is no lasting damage due to insufficient lubrication, the mechanic would know ?
lanedriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous oil changes were done by an indipendent service facility, I have not seen inside the sump plug and the lads who service the vehicle probably would not have known to look... i guess.

I am curently doing the mechanical work on my vehicle, the toyota guy works for our local Toyota main Dealer, he  is acting in an advisory capacity, but has no idea what the noise can be because he has not heard it, so he wants to get the unit re-assembled and then start up and lsiten.

Hopefully tomorrow we will find out what has failed and caused the noise, fingers crossed it is not too serious.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, do it yourself every time, - especially run of the mill servicing on your own vehicle, only way to be sure.
When anyone with no 'proper' working knowledge of a particular vehicle get involved, that's when problems can occur, like here.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree tractionman 👍
AlPrado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option as read on the web is this

Flushing oil
Featured snippet from the web

Golden Film Flushing Oil is a combination of highly refined light mineral oils and detergent/dispersant additives to enhance removal of sludge and lacquers. Golden Film Flushing oil can be used where a system's history is unknown or the service fill lubricant may have been used beyond its oil drain interval.

But on the other hand this as well

As General Motors alludes to in the publication above, engine flushes can damage your engine. The chemicals in flushing additives can damage engine seals, leading to expensive repairs in the event of an oil leak. These chemicals can also damage engine bearings; turbochargers and other oil-lubricated components.

Take you pick
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to use just that product on older vehicles many years back, with no problems. Of course engines were not so refined then.
As the flushing oil is only in there for a short amount of time, and I certainly wouldn't thrash it up the motorway, it is debateable.
Agree Al,  -  yer pays yer money, and takes yer choice !
lanedriver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

So......
I finished building up the engine and poured in 7L flushing oil (BTW - Toyota sell their own brand of flushing oil additive) not using that though.

Injectors had been out so bled the system and pumped up the pressure, the engine reluctantly started after a few rotations and knocked badly sending a cloud of smoke out of the exhaust; I think we have  fatal engine failure, but will wait for Mr T to come over tomorrow evening and take a look just to be sure.

Toyota offered me a new  Long Engine (Original from Japan) for just under £20k or a short engine just under £6k - Labour with addiitional parts and gaskets would add another £4k to either job.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear ! No one wants to hear terminal failure of their engine, yet alone the cost to rectify. ☹
Sounds like a good second hand/recon unit or another vehicle for those prices quoted.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for a recon engine aswell , I have seen them selling in the past for 4 grand or less , you need new injectors and pipes to go with it so could cost about five and half grand  all in .
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the rest of the vehicle like - ie chassis and body?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: