Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Independent Toyota Engineers in the North East of England

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanedriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments & advice.

Considering it is 14 years old the vehicle is in good condition overall, I have spent a lot of money on it with serious modifications for overland travel so it is worth repairing. I was into day 2 of our planned East - West offroad trip accross the Spanish Pyranees when disaster struck; we planned this trip in 2019 but due to Covid had to postpone until 2022.

The problem I have with recon engines is that we dont know their history and it is not easy to find a good 2008 engine that has not done 300k or more.

These engines dont have liners so a rebore and crankshaft regrind is the only option; the cam lobes all look ok so a top end overhaul should be all that it requires.

I am considering getting my engine overhauled because it has only done 32k from new so should not be too difficult for a good machine shop to carry out the necessary work. I think the mains & big ends will be shot and the noise I heard could be piston against cylinter head.

Whilst it is stripped down, we can get the turbo overhauled, fit a new water pump, new hoses and all ancilliary seals, gaskets etc.

If anyone has any other ideas or can recommend a good machine shop I welcome your thoughts.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Until everything is stripped right down, there is no way to tell the full extent of the damage anyway.
If a piston has hit the head ?.....ouch !
Good luck with it.
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and well done for keeping it on the road!
AlPrado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this engine have a oil pressure relief valve , If that is stuck open with gunk that could be a problem to investigate
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is an obvious question that has been asked before but has anyone fitted an oil pressure gauge?  Might give warning of developing problems.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked into this a few times Beekeeper. It seems it has been done once or twice, but there are scant details.
I would go for the classic Smith's style mechanical gauge, positioned in its bracket in the area just under the ashtray, forward of the gearshift. Not the best place, but can be seen. It would involve removing a blank as I understand it, think near the oil filter, with the right threaded fitting, although I have not investigated too much. Something else has always got in the way, but still considered a worthwhile project.
Just a warning light on anything is useless, all it tells you is within seconds, - I have lost pressure and I am cooked !
With a gauge, if it is monitored properly, you can see at any time what the pressure is, and react in time.
On my 78 there is a stock oil pressure guage and a volt meter, both of which I miss on the 120, and in my opinion a step backwards
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a voltmeter plugged into the cig lighter (combination voltmeter and usb charger thing) - good enough to see if the battery is so low it's unlikely to start or if the alternator has stopped doing its job!

I remember you've mentioned an oil pressure gauge before TM - would deffo be a worthwhile upgrade - needs more investigation!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 Thanks for reminder Karl, as it happens I have one too, and oddly enough look at the bloody thing every time I get in the lc like a cockpit check. Stealth mode on, gamma rays on, speed detector on, activate firing sequence for plasma rockets, all for roadside checks
Got too distracted over the oil pressure gauge ! 😂😂
karl2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss oil pressure gauges, if someone can come up with a kit i'm up for buying in.

Oil pressure along with voltmeter i regularly pull up on the menu of the truck i drive, nice to keep an eye on such things help spot any possible issues.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you Juddian, having driven all types of hgv on long haul over the years, we come to appreciate and rely on instruments provided coupled with the regular daily checks.
A vast oversight in this instance, by Toyota methinks.
I have not come up with any kits as such, just individual items that would really be suck it and see how it goes, and of course the positioning of the gauge itself. Where I originally suggested would be a feaseable 'ok' for me, as my lc3 has switch blanks there with the power/cig lighter to one side. Other models with switches there may be a problem.
I did come across a replacement pillar mount with 2 integrated boy racer pods, for whatever standard size gauges (52mm)chosen, only in black (mine are grey as I think most) and lhd, so of no use whatsoever.
I'll keep looking !

Incidentally, going further off topic, (apologies all) did you have any success with the upper lights mod, if so perhaps we can continue with pm rather than disrupt the thread ?
Juddian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

No TM, i never did anything with the rear lights and probably won't, everything works ok so far.

Regarding oil pressure gauge, i'm not bothered where the gauge goes more concerned about getting good connections and where to connect to.
Miss ammeters too.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judd. I ran power up there, but wherever I connected to no joy. Never mind, all for another thread.

Agree with oil gauge, all about good connections and where to run to run pipes/wires. More thought needed ! 🤔
lanedriver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:24    Post subject: Independent Toyota Engineers in the North East of England Reply with quote

My Dead 1KD FTV - engine full of black sludge
Since my last post back in July, the subject seems to have drifted to other related topics, I agree that oil pressure and temperature information is great to have for any engine.

For those interested in the ongoing saga of the dead engine here is my laterst update.

I decided to shop around the UK for a solution to my failed engine, obtained quotations for reconditioned engines from Glasgow, Manchester and London areas with prices ranging from around £2k to £4k for a fitted exchange unit.  None of the vendors were able to confirm that all worn or damaged parts were replaced with Toyota or OEM original items, some fit used parts and or questionably branded replacements.
I decided to take the engine out of the vehicle and strip it down to bare bones, with the help of the guys at HR motors, a trustworthy local independent team in County Durham. All the components have been carefully bagged, tagged and inspected; cleaning is underway; we are now able to report that the Turbo is blown and the bearings have spun up on No1 Big End; all other journals look ok and there are no cracked pistons. We will measure and test everything to be sure of wear related challenges. The injector seals were not bad and there was almost no significant blow by. (the engine has only done 32k from new) It was really badly clogged with sludge, so we sent samples to a Lab in Wales for testing and full diagnosis, we do need to know and understand how this engine became so clogged with sludge as there was no significant blow-by.
I have a photographic record of the process to date and will prepare a report after we have the engine running again.
When all cleaning and testing has been completed I will let you know how we are getting on; happy to provide any further information if anyone is interested.
karl2000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats great - please do keep us updated with as much info as possible - I'm sure we are all interested!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: