Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Body off guide?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePiper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 22:21    Post subject: Body off guide? Reply with quote

Hi all

It's been years since I posted on here but still have my trusty Colorado. It's now 25 years old and the back axle is rotten. I've patched it twice but now is time for a new case which I've bought at Milners. I've decided to do a body off chassis restoration whilst at it as it's very scabby and ultimately I want things to last for many years to come so going to put some time and money into the old girl. Anyway, I was sure at one point in the past I'd seen a guide on here for lifting the body off the chassis but having searched and searched I can't find it. Maybe I imagined it, but can anyone point me to it - if it exists??

Thanks,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 22:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

AlPrado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a big project , you are a braver man than me , Good luck  Cool
Andyk80

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen a guide on here specifically, but there's body lift guides on Youtube you could start from and the process is pretty similar from truck to truck.

I know someone who did it on an Isuzu pickup, then had the chassis sent off, acid bathed and then galved.  That was years ago, and the chassis on that truck looks pretty much as it did when he had the job done...

If I remember right, he followed the body lift process in removing chassis > body bolts in addition to disconnecting anything that connects the body to the chassis (steering column, wiring loom branches etc etc), but rather than doing a side first, I think he lifted the back of the truck, then put big tree trunk slices a foot or so outside of the corners with a thick wooden beam between them and moved forward so the body ended up resting on 3 wooden beams resting on 6 tree trunks if that makes sense.

He works in council ground maintenance, so getting that sort of thing is no problem.  There may be something else you can use in place of those, but basically you want something you can have the body off the ground by enough that you can wheel the chassis out from underneath it to work on it and know if the body gets knocked, it's not going to fall over.
ThePiper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and advice. The job is currently in progress and going well so far.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Andyk80

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!  If you're going to all that work, I'd definitely suggest an acid bath/hot galv if you can.  If you want a chassis to last for a long time, it doesn't get much better.  The acid will show up any areas needing welding before galv too.
ThePiper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Sadly there aren't many places local to me (Northern Ireland) that can do the acid dip/galvanising thing and not sure my budget would stretch that far anyway. So I'm going with sand blasting and have bought some epoxy mastic (EM121) from Rustbuster to prime/treat it all afterwards. I've bought some Eastwood Internal Frame treatment for inside the chassis etc. It seems to have really good reviews so will see how it goes. Cheers
Andyk80

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of Eastwood before, but I'm looking for a system to hit the inside of my chassis currently.  I'll give that a look, thanks!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl on 120 series has recently used Eastwood products with good results. Extensive prep beforehand, looks great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: