NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wiring between drivers door and body

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:51    Post subject: Wiring between drivers door and body Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I seem to have a broken wire which works the window on the front passenger door.  It will work with all doors closed but does not work when drivers door is open.

I had this problem years ago with a Peugeot 306.

I will try to fix it when I get a minute.

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common thing on these older motors, every time a door is opened and closed (usually drivers) the cables in the loom flex and break.
Opening the door pulls apart the break, closing the door pushes it together again.
Incidentally as the loom is pulled with the door opening, it slides through the grommets and if it snags it puts strain on the wiring.
A good spray with silicone now and again keeps them free to slide.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 17:03    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi
thanks for your reply.

Do you know if its hard wired from the body to the door or is there a plug and socket somewhere?

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not got a 90, but generically there will be a multi connector in the door to the electric window switches from the main loom from the vehicle. I don't think there is another in the door pillar/under the dash.
That being so, rather than have a join/repair where it's broken at the door shut, it would be better to determine which wire, cut it inside the lc and solder join/heatshrink and the same the other end in door, with a new wire the same rating and colour.
If you go that route you could get to the door end by taking out the switch panel rather than door card off, cutting one end of your offending wire and gently use it as a pull through for your new one.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 16:38    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi Again,
I have repaired the wires. Several with the insulation broken ,     And two  had broken in two. I cut out the damaged sections and soldered in some new wire.

All  working as it should now.

Regards

Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done mine too - windows and the locking button LoL

there is a plug both ends, and I did get a price for a new bit of loom - it was something like £180 about 6 years ago LoL
locodriver65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:04    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi,

Its nice to get all the electrical bits working again. I would have posted a picture of my repair but I don't know how to do it.

I have had two people in the last month asking if I would sell my LC so it must be looking good for its age. (While parked at Tescos)

Regards

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: