Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

DANGEROUS FAULT

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodgydoddery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 19:23    Post subject: DANGEROUS FAULT Reply with quote

HELP!!! I have just bought an 04 plate Landcruiser a lovely car BUT it has a highly dangerous fault. Very occasionally when driving round a slight bend it bleeps and immediately applies a front brake fully, locking it up at 50mph and veering over uncontrollably. It has just had a full Toyota service and an MOT. The local Bosch service centre say there are no stored faults. On a 100mile drive it did it three times and I nursed it home in trepidation. Sorry but I have no confidence that it is a simple fix Any ideas anyone???
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 19:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 20:42    Post subject: Re: DANGEROUS FAULT Reply with quote

bodgydoddery wrote:
HELP!!! I have just bought an 04 plate Landcruiser a lovely car BUT it has a highly dangerous fault. Very occasionally when driving round a slight bend it bleeps and immediately applies a front brake fully, locking it up at 50mph and veering over uncontrollably. It has just had a full Toyota service and an MOT. The local Bosch service centre say there are no stored faults. On a 100mile drive it did it three times and I nursed it home in trepidation. Sorry but I have no confidence that it is a simple fix Any ideas anyone???

That sounds very bad and sorry I have not got a solution, but a few questions ?
has this only happened after either the service or MOT ?
Have you had any other work on it ?
Have you looked under to see if there is any thing out of place?
is there any warning lamps on the dash
As I say I don't know but it sounds like a ABS fault
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Steve, does sound like abs, but as far as I'm aware there is no audible warning on the system, just a dash fault warning light.
Bodgy, do you have access to Techstream or similar, to see if any fault codes are stored ?
bodgydoddery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has just been serviced by Toyota before I bought it 3 weeks ago. I took it to Bosch service agent and there are no stored faults. It would seem to me that it is an EPS fault as this is what it is designed to do but obviously not like this. How about a yaw rate sensor fault or steering angle sensor. I have no confidence that a garage will fix this but the thing is a death trap as it is
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model/series is this 2004 cruiser ?
As it has recently been serviced and I assume wheels off to check the brakes, I would check the wiring/connectors to the wheel speed sensors.
bodgydoddery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an LC4  D4D but would this fault not show on the Bosch plug in or the MIL?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would assume so, but have no knowledge of the Bosch reader for a 2004 lc4 ?
Try posting on the correct forum specific for your 120, there are more knowledgeable members on there, that may not look here.
bodgydoddery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I will try to find the right forum
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

That to me sounds like your stability control is kicking in ,  the toyota dealers should have the knowhow to get to the bottom of it if it is an electronic fault . But have you checked the obvious items that could trigger the stability control in kicking in like front or rear anti roll bar drop links snapping or being loose , or front or rear upper or lower control arms or camber bolts broken or loose ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on this ?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on this ?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it again !! 🙄
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress update - asking on the other side now.  🤔
bodgydoddery

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 13:26    Post subject: dagerous fault Reply with quote

Hi TonyC and Traction man, Apologies for not replying but I am not good with this and my computer would not let me reply as it said there was a virus. Thank you both .The update is that the Toyota garage tells me the angle sensor is not outputting and are going to change it . But I have looked on Google and the fault I have is rare but everyone else who has had it (not on an LC) says it is a yaw sensor problem as it does not fail safe and is the only sensor that can apply the brakes individually. They all say disconnect it. I have had the car 6 weeks and it drives beautifully and this fault only happens about twice in 100 miles and this is why it is so dangerous, if it happened on a motorway it could cause carnage. In my 76 years on the planet I have never been so scared to drive a vehicle and believe me I have driven some junk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: