Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Please define limp mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B175C15T110

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56    Post subject: Please define limp mode Reply with quote

Hi all.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from limp mode. I've read a few things that suggest I won't be able to go above 30-50 mph, and around 3,000 rpm.

In my case, the yellow engine light comes on, (but only at tickover), and I am then limited to no more than 1,000 rpm, and 1st gear only (auto).

This has happened around 10 times in the last few days, but never when I'm above 1,000 rpm ish.

Switching off and restarting clears it. I am advised that no codes will be stored in this scenario. The car drives as normal between these events.

I have techstream, and will use that as soon as I get a chance, but I'm still curious to know if my scenario is limp mode or something else.

The vehicle is a 2004 Amazon diesel.

Thanks,
Gary.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

B175C15T110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question. Has this forum been abandoned?

No-one has answered a post since September.
andy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your post, but I have no experience of limp mode on a 100 series, so felt that maybe others would chip in, but if it was a sprinter I could talk for ages.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
B175C15T110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy.

Just checking I wasn't talking to myself!!

I may be able to talk about BSA Bantams for as long as you could talk about Sprinters

An old post on here suggested disconnecting batteries to reset the ECU, so I tried that and it hasn't faultered since with many stop start situations. The downside to this was that my auto aerial "forgot" where to stop, and was only coming out 4" or so. Another post on here from 2009 saved me from running off to Toyota to buy a new aerial, so a very useful forum indeed.

I've also read a lot more about limp mode on various vehicles, and I don't think that's what I'm getting. I think the car is throwing the accelerator pedal out almost entirely, as walking pace (or slower) is the most it can achieve. Or maybe the car is attempting to engage limp mode, but gets it wrong?

Thanks again for confirming tlockuk is still alive🙂
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

B175C15T110 wrote:
Thanks for that Andy.

Just checking I wasn't talking to myself!!

I may be able to talk about BSA Bantams for as long as you could talk about Sprinters

An old post on here suggested disconnecting batteries to reset the ECU, so I tried that and it hasn't faultered since with many stop start situations. The downside to this was that my auto aerial "forgot" where to stop, and was only coming out 4" or so. Another post on here from 2009 saved me from running off to Toyota to buy a new aerial, so a very useful forum indeed.

I've also read a lot more about limp mode on various vehicles, and I don't think that's what I'm getting. I think the car is throwing the accelerator pedal out almost entirely, as walking pace (or slower) is the most it can achieve. Or maybe the car is attempting to engage limp mode, but gets it wrong?

Thanks again for confirming tlockuk is still alive🙂

Hi B175C15T110,

You mentiond that you have Techstream, have you used it yet? because thats the best way to find out what the fauld code is, I know if I had an 'engine light' come on, and I had the same symptons as you have on on my LC, Thechstream would be my first port of call.
B175C15T110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I didn't jump into techstream is because I was advised that fault codes that clear themselves by turning the engine off and back on are not stored in the ECU.

I also read on this forum somewhere that disconnecting the batteries might reset a glitch in the ECU. This was just a 2 minute job, and to update from my previous post, the car has not faultered since doing this.

A few days ago, I attached techstream just in case the fault had been recorded, but there was nothing to see. So either it was never recorded, or disconnecting the batteries has deleted it? I'll never know.

If it happens again in the future I will attach techstream before disconnecting the batteries, just in case there's something there!

Thanks again.
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

B175C15T110 wrote:
Hi Steven.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I didn't jump into techstream is because I was advised that fault codes that clear themselves by turning the engine off and back on are not stored in the ECU.

I also read on this forum somewhere that disconnecting the batteries might reset a glitch in the ECU. This was just a 2 minute job, and to update from my previous post, the car has not faultered since doing this.

A few days ago, I attached techstream just in case the fault had been recorded, but there was nothing to see. So either it was never recorded, or disconnecting the batteries has deleted it? I'll never know.

If it happens again in the future I will attach techstream before disconnecting the batteries, just in case there's something there!

Thanks again.

Oh well, all's well that ends well, it's good that you replied, as most don't bother, well done.
B175C15T110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not always successful, but I do try hard to finish topics with some sort of conclusion. I find it a little frustrating when searching for info and conversations just stop!

Have a great new year Steven.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have hit the nail right on the head there, with posts just stopping with no conclusion - good or bad.
As Steve says, well done for that, and glad you resolved your problem. 😀
B175C15T110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: