All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What is that part in the image called?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicolascarlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:48    Post subject: What is that part in the image called? Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m looking to replace the SCV with the new one but I noticed I have that part in the way. Anyone know what that is?

[img]https://imgur.com/a/qyhhd6e[/img]
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nicolascarlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

Not sure how to embed images,

But that link is where the image is uploaded: https://imgur.com/a/qyhhd6e
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nik that part it the top of the injection pump .  What year is your 120 , because it is a matter of does it use the one SCV or does it use 2 SCVs that are red and green connectors   . The early 120s use the twin red and green SCVs .
nicolascarlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tony,

Thanks!! It’s 2006 (56 plate) invincible.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the SCV it is absolutely vital that no dust or dirt enter the injection pump when you remove the fuel pipe and SCV as it will likely cause damage  to the injectors and or injection pump as no filtration is available after the fuel pipe that comes from the fuel filter that must be removed  for access to be able to remove the SCV/s , best to use a unused paint brush around the area to brush away any dust and dirt as well wipe the area with clean rags and a final brush off with the paint brush to make sure no chance of contamination  ,    and when removing the SCV they usually need to wiggle them out as they can feel stuck in even though you have undone the 2   5mm allen bolts .
nicolascarlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony. It’s a fairly difficult access but I’m looking to do it this week. Looks like mine only has the one SCV. I can see it’s still the original small one though.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you watched forby4 diesel on you tube on fitting the SCV to give you a better idea on fitting the updated longer SCV , I had to glue the O ring to the spacer that fits on to the pump end of the SCV because it is a very tight access and my hands were too big and I kept nudging it and the O ring  kept moving out of its grove and when pressing the pump on  top of the fuel filter to push fuel through I noticed it leaked at the injection side of the pump of the SCV ,  if you have big hands its a 1 hour job instead of 15 mins most folk take to fit  it. If you get stuck and need any advice just let me know and I will help where I can .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Nik I forgot to mention it is best to put rags under the SCV if like me you drop any of the new longer bolts that come with the new longer SCV because the one bolt that you have to fit to the  blind right side is very easy to drop and had me undoing the bash plates to find it , and it could even get lost forever if the bolt gets stuck in other parts of the engine bay that you can not see , a rag will save you a lot of hassle as well as catch any fuel that spills out when you remove the fuel pipe and the SCV .
nicolascarlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the 3 year old one he had and looked like he had a lot more space to maneuver.

Found the more recent one where it all looks as crammed together as mine https://youtu.be/6rLR1UFdkOM

Thanks for the tip re the rag!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was also crammed together that is why I said my hands felt too big and that it made it a fiddly job for me to fit , the gasket did not stay in place and dropped off when I removed the old SCV so I had to wipe dry the area of fuel and stick the gasket back on with the clear silicone  grease that you use the put on the O rings to stick to the spacer , but I had to put a tiny bit of  super  glue the O ring to the spacer side that fits to the gasket at the injection pump made a lot easier for me to fit the SCV coz my hands nudging the SCV when fitting caused the O ring to keep moving out of place because the grove in the spacer is very shallow so the O ring can easy move out of position despite putting clear silicone grease on it to stay in place , but all that was me in my 60s fitting the SCV  you being much younger will probably find it much less hassle fitting it .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

All as Tony says really, very fiddly rather than a hard job, and make sure you use a rag as per Tony for any dropped bolts.
I used an old towel to cover a bigger area, and had a telescopic magnet on hand, rather than risk moving the towel by grabbing a dropped bolt
As my engine was none too clean from previous owner, I used brake cleaner and Tony's method of a paintbrush, then airline to blow all iclean and dry.
I cleaned a much bigger area than just around the scv, and as Tony states no *beep* allowed  at all, especially above it.
My biggest hurdle was releasing the clip to remove the connector, that took longer than the job in hand.
Thanks to Tony for info, and Karl for pics of that bloody clip, which is slightly to the back of connector, and wouldn't release.
Yep, silicone grease is your friend, it's a ridiculously shallow recess in the spacer and in my opinion too big for the O ring which needs to be centralised, and I used a smear of Hylomar to seal the gasket joint
Oh, and dont do what I did, in thinking that I was undoing the rear bolt done by feel only - I unscrewed a similar bolt from the pump, unseen, then wondered why the scv wouldn't come off.
No harm done, but it meant I then had to get the bolt back by feel before re tightening, then get at the proper one.
After all that malarkey, the scv went back easy with no dramas with the bolts.
Good luck with it.
nicolascarlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telescopic magnet sounds like a good shout! I’m going to get that before starting on this to make my life easier since I’m prone to knocking things out of place  Very Happy
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it years, very handy for awkward places, and about 15" - 18" long extended. Just like a car ariel with a strong magnet on the end.
Too strong sometimes if near the engine or other large lump of metal, but does the job, even when you can't see the object - just go fishing ! 😀
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right there Tractionman I have 2 of them and they have a habit of attaching themselves to other metal parts of the engine when you are trying to pickup a dropped nut/bolt the magnets are that strong 😃 . but they are worth their weight in gold for retrieving metal things that you drop in awkward places not just for cars but for any job around the house like  inside  washing machines .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washing machine - have Toyota diversified, as they are discontinuing the Landcruiser brand. 🤷‍♂️😀

Yep, as we know, they are exceptionally strong Tony, a good workshop tool, and will pull items in even when not actually touching them.
I had a bench out on the grass in the Summer, I was using it to put a new cable on the old workshop hair dryer, and dropped 2 tiny screws which would have needed x ray vusion to find. I used the telescopic magnet in a sweeping motion like a metal detectot and it found and grabbed them up easily.

The hair dryer is not for me, I havent got enough hair these days, I use it for heat shrink tube, it's gentler than a small flame or heat gun.

Strange how these threads drift off topic, innit ?? 🤣
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: