All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2006 LC120 D4D rear suspension not activating when starting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andywb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:35    Post subject: 2006 LC120 D4D rear suspension not activating when starting Reply with quote

I have a 2006 LC120 D4D and I think I have a problem with the rear air suspension. I am pretty sure that since I got it, about 6 years ago, when I turn the ignition on you can see the rear suspension rise a little and when you turn the ignition off it settles back down. I have noticed in the past few weeks that the ride seems different and there is no noticeable height difference in the rear suspension when you turn the ignition on and off.

I have checked if the suspension height control is still working and it is. When you chance the setting to H it definately raises the suspension and when you change it to L it definately lowers it. I have spoken to my local garage who service it but they do not know anything about the Toyota air suspension. I did not want to go straight to the local Toyota dealer until I had found out what the problem might be as I do not have a money tree!!!!

Can anyone help please?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:43    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi
Last week in Toyota wolverhampton I was quoted £82.00 for 30 minutes work. Its a bank you require not a tree..

Best of luck

Paul
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have air suspension on the rear of my 2009 120 that I have owned for nearly 9 years and have never seen the rear rise and go back down when I start the car unless I load up the car with passengers or load up the boot with heavy items before I start the car that is when the air compressor kicks in and levels the car to the right height . you can check if you have a leak by putting the car in H high mode so that it rises to its highest setting before you switch off the car and measure the height from the centre of wheel cap to the the highest point of the wheel arch   and leave it a day or so and see if it drops . as you say the ride has changed check what setting the switch for the shocks incase you normally have the switch on soft ride and its moved to sport (I always have mine in sport as it makes the shocks last longer as well as the ball joints and bushes all-round the car last longer as they take less strain due to the stiff mode of the shocks relieving shocks and the rest of the suspension from taking the stress of movement of bumps or G-force as they have to when the shocks are in  soft mode or if the shocks have worn out )   the bump stops have not touched the rear axle during normal driving by checking the there are no polished marks on the axle that shows the bump stops have been rubbing on the axle due to the air bags leaking .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry meant to say check the bump stops have not been touching the rear axle when driving over bumps on road as it will show the air bags are not holding the right air pressure . also do the wheel arch to centre of wheel cap measurement test as I mentioned in normal N setting as well .
andywb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, all useful advice, I will check. Now you mention it the change in height may well have been when I have had passengers in the back or loads in the boot!
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tony (he knows his stuff).

The only time i ever hear the pump working is after removing or loading something heavy, or when i've deliberately altered the height.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: