2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Injection pump TCV (Timing Control Valve) removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sim303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 18:31    Post subject: Injection pump TCV (Timing Control Valve) removal Reply with quote

Hi all

I hope someone can help (actual question in bold below!)

I'm about one month into chasing a DTC 14 fault ("Timing Control System Malfunction").... a long story...  Along the way, as per the FSM, I have replaced the fuel filter, drained and checked the fuel tank for mould / gunk (none), checked the pertinent ECU signals on a 'scope, checked the various resistances / voltages. I've removed a large mug of disgusting sludge from the intake pipe, manifold, swirl flaps & inlet ports. I've also had the injectors refurbed as they were knackered and leaking, and done the valve gaps whilst I was in there.

This has helped a lot with the exhaust, but I still get DTC 14 and there is a knock at idle.  The last port of call according to the FSM is the injection pump ( "Replace" ).

My thinking is to try replacing just the TCV first.

This afternoon I made good progress and got the two allen bolts out such that I can rotate the TCV in situ. However it does seem to want to withdraw.

I didn't pull too hard as the last thing I want to do is damage something inside the pump!

The question is - does it just pull out? Or is there some mechanism inside that is holding it in place? (I notice there is a bulbous cover place located nearby - I am worried that this hide some sort of physical linkage that needs removing first)

TIA

sim303
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 18:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

sim303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said..: 4.2 diesel (1HD-FTE) - June 2002 build
andy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time ago that I did this, so best you read this TCV
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
sim303

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Sounds like it should just pull out now - I'll go down and try that today whilst the sun is out.

Interesting thread that.... The funny thing is I have occasionally seen drips coming down on to the passenger footwell carpet. I assumed they were water condensate or something and haven't investigated further yet. Now you've got me worried (even though I've not noticed and diesel smell in the cab)

Thanks
andy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think it just pulls out, but is a bit tight because of the rubber ring, and I never noticed any diesel smell, it was like it for some time before I found out what the problem was, thought it was water.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
sim303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - yes it came out ok in the end.  Time to look for a new one I guess...
HHs Cruise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

sim303 wrote:
Thanks - yes it came out ok in the end.  Time to look for a new one I guess...
did you ever find the TCV valve . If yes, from where.
sim303

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HHs Cruise - sorry I missed your message. Yes I found it - after a LOT of research and digging: DENSO SUCTION CONTROL VALVE 096360-0580.  I hope it's ok to put a link here (I am not sponsored / affiliated etc etc)

https://dieselpartsdirect.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=096360-0580

Let me know how you get on

Hope that helps

sim303
HHs Cruise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 21:34    Post subject: Tcv valve installation Reply with quote

The link you shared i check earlier but they say the part is not readily available. Luckily i found the valve from a scrap dealer and installed it . It only took 20 minutes. You just have to remove 6 screw on the support plate and it slides right back over all injections lines. Once back it is just 2 bolts holding TCV valve need removing see photos here. I cannot post thye link send me personal msg if you need to see which plate i am talking about

I have unichiped the engine and getting aroung 300 hp at wheels witth 700nm torque. So after sorting this out engine is running alot smoother.
sim303

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that you found a used one. Maybe I bought the last one!

It mostly fixed my problem too. No more DTC-14 and limp-mode, although I suspect the engine is a little knockier than it used to be.  Am investigating getting the pump tested / calibrated (which technically you are supposed to do after changing the TCV, although it may not always be necessary).
HHs Cruise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also hear a tick tick sound coming from pump, but i read on other posts that 1HDFTE is produces this tick/knock even new.

I dont think any calibration is required since the pump ECU controlled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: