4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN T70 PRADO IMPORT AND THE BRITISH MODE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mud-maker-dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 23:08    Post subject: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN T70 PRADO IMPORT AND THE BRITISH MODE Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Just a quick question that some of you might be able to help me with,I am thinking of buying a T70,I have being look at the T70 Prado imports,I have read on some  web sites,that the Prado (Japanese import had a 1mm thick chassis than the  T70 for the u.k market),is this true,plus what are the other difference between the two machines if any
2)Which is the best for off roading/towing manual or automatic.
3)Can any one give me a rough mpg on a 2.4 TD model
4)Is there any major problems I should look out for when buying a T70 model

Regards Mud-Maker-Dan
Very Happy  Laughing  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 23:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No Air con on the UK model, certainly on the early 2.4s. Also import had the EFI diesel (2LTE or 1KZTE on the later ones). UK model had the non electronic 2LT or 1KZT.

2. Auto or manual purely own choice. Both are good for towing and have their advantages and disadvantages. If you want to tow with the auto, best to fit a gearbox oil cooler.

3. 2.4 model 20-26mpg depending how in tune the engine is and how you drive it. Generally the 3 litre is more economical.

4. 2.4 engine has known cylinderhead cracking problems same as Hilux Surf with the same engine. Quite common. 3 litre model also suffers from this to some extent but considerably rarer. 3 Litre cooling system is on the limit soemwhat so needs to be in tip top condition if you are doing a lot of towing. That being said when it runs well both engines have a good reputation for reliability if the heads hold out. You can get a new head for the 2.4 for around £400 and about 6-8 hours to fit by a competent home mechanic. The suspension and running gear is pretty strong and thereare really no known major weaknesses outside the head problems mentioned. You can tell that consideringthe number sold there are still a lot on the road even after nearly 20 years. I see a 1989 one close to where I live thatlooks in great condition.
mud-maker-dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 23:05    Post subject: THANK FOR YOUR INFORMATION Reply with quote

Hi Lucky

Thank you, for the information you posted,reading the information has helped me in my decision  I think I will be going for a 2.4 Manuals,as the the road tax over here in Ireland is very high for a 3.0 litre engine.At this moment an time I am looking at a 1992 J Reg TOYOTA PRADO 2.4 TURBO DIESEL SX

Regards Mud Maker Dan    Very Happy  Laughing  Very Happy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 23:45    Post subject: Re: THANK FOR YOUR INFORMATION Reply with quote

mud-maker-dan wrote:
Hi Lucky

Thank you, for the information you posted,reading the information has helped me in my decision  I think I will be going for a 2.4 Manuals,as the the road tax over here in Ireland is very high for a 3.0 litre engine.At this moment an time I am looking at a 1992 J Reg TOYOTA PRADO 2.4 TURBO DIESEL SX

Regards Mud Maker Dan    Very Happy  Laughing  Very Happy

They have a very high failure rate.  The savings in tax will be far exceeded by the cost of repairs if it does crack a head.

No difference in the chassis'. Japanese or JDM vehicles in general tend to be automatics with a higher level of options fitted
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: