Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Noise when I come out of four wheel drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mud-maker-dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 16:45    Post subject: Noise when I come out of four wheel drive Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I own a 1993 LC Prada LJ70 series. 2.4Turbo, with a Manual gear box
Just wondering if anyone has, had any problem when disengaging the 4WD drive system with auto hub locks. The problem  is when you  switch on  the H4 switch and the Auto hub lock switch (on the RHS of the dash) to the on position  the LC work fine, But when you disengage the system, it seem to stay in four wheel drive mode, but no 4WD lights are showing  on the dash and drives as if it is still in the four wheel drive mode, but after driving the LC say a few metre down the road a loud cluck noise come from just in front of the gear stick  and the LC seem to go back into two wheel  driving mode.
I can hear the motors on the auto hub going in and out, but have not looked any closer at them yet.
Plus how does the H4 switch work.
Your Help on this would be much appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 16:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

devonoak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon the h4 switch is like on the 60 series, which is a solenoid operatd vacuum valve so the switch opens a valve which nicks a bit of air sorry vacuum pressure from the brake servo and shifts on the side of the transfer box. If i was caning it up the road in my 60 when i let it out of h4 some times it would come out with a bang....

tom
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

devonoak wrote:
i reckon the h4 switch is like on the 60 series, which is a solenoid operatd vacuum valve so the switch opens a valve which nicks a bit of air sorry vacuum pressure from the brake servo and shifts on the side of the transfer box. If i was caning it up the road in my 60 when i let it out of h4 some times it would come out with a bang....

tom

Yes it does operate off vacuum as you say. The bang is caused by windup from driving it on the road in 4wd.
I try and find some soil that is hard enough to drive out of H4 before I hit the road.

Dan your problem could be a lack of vacuum from a leak in the hoses or in the diaphragm in the shift mechanism.

Although Im not 100% sure you have a vacuum shifter ,some models have an electric solenoid instead.

Try switching it off and reversing just a little,slowly
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
mud-maker-dan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you devonoak and roscoFJ73

I have tried the reversing slowly and no bang,so therefore do you think I still have a fault with either my vacuum system,or the solenoid,or do you think this is normal on the L.C,because someone told me on the old land rover you had to go into reverse to take them out of hub lock.Plus on the rear diff lock should the light  flash or should it be a steady red light

Again thank for your information
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

mud-maker-dan wrote:
Thank you devonoak and roscoFJ73

I have tried the reversing slowly and no bang,so therefore do you think I still have a fault with either my vacuum system,or the solenoid,or do you think this is normal on the L.C,because someone told me on the old land rover you had to go into reverse to take them out of hub lock.Plus on the rear diff lock should the light  flash or should it be a steady red light

Again thank for your information

The problem,if everything else is ok,is the gear teeth are pressed hard against each other.
A little bit of reverse winds it back the other way and releases it.
It also imperative to have the front wheels in the straiht ahead position.
On my 75 series it has a manual shift for H4 ,I let the clutch out and and shift  out of H4. If I dont do it right ,I have to reversae a little.

Im not sure about the red light but I think when its flashing its trying to shift. It doesnt happen instantly on any diff locker as far as I know.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
devonoak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats right rosco
its flashing when its trying to go in; when its its constant red
at least on my 80 thats how it is; in fact mine dont go in they flash forever. I keep meaning to unsieze them somehow cos I think this is a common problem caused by under-use. I havent got stuck  yet but i did fail to pull a 17 ton rig out of a little rut the other day at low speed and i may have had a chance with the locks in
tom
mud-maker-dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:05    Post subject: no diff lock Reply with quote

Hi Tom
what would you have to do to cure the diff lock problem,I have had a looked under the L.C and found two pipes going to some sort of pressure operated lever, which then goes to the top of the rear diff to operate a linkage arm,do you think if I try and move the arm might it cure my problem,

PS, can anyone advise me on the best workshop manual for my 1993 L.C LJ70 Prada with a 2T-LE engine.because when I went to the local Toyota dealer the mechanic came out,and I explain my fault to him, he looked at me as if I had two heads especially when I told him that the L.C was a Japanese import.So therefore I will need a workshop manual and a lot of help from people like yourself, Rosco and Lucky.

cheers Danny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: