All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

replacing turbo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
despot67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 15:18    Post subject: replacing turbo? Reply with quote

Well received 2nd hand turbo in post today - has anyone ever changed one of these?

Ive been told to disconnect starter solenoid (where ever that is?) and turn her over to build up oil pressure - also to put some oil in turbo 1st. I can understand this is to help the turbo if she is dry on starting - but has anyone done this as I don't want to wreck it?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 15:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

despot67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 21:26    Post subject: Help please? Reply with quote

Well replaced turbo today and changed the coolant and oil and filter - how am I best starting her up then so I don't wreck the turbo.Do I disconnect the fuel solenoid? if so can anyone tell me where she is?

Also temp guage didnt work but fuses are fine and themostat is in place a - any idea's?

One last thing - sorry, as the system will be full of oil will this wreck my emissions test on the MOT and if so what can I do, as the old turbo was wrecked and was pumping oil into the system?

Any idea's chaps, please as im desperate to get he going as Im off Scotland on the 13th and need her done?
denkar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,
If the engine is petrol then just pull the big coil lead from the coil and turn the donk over long enough to build up oil pressure/let the needle on the gauge come up a bit. Then put the lead back on, fire it up, make sure there are no oil leaks and take it for a test run. Should burn the oil out of the system and not affect any emission tests.
If it is a diesel then you will have to locate the 'shut off' solenoid, usually on or near the fuel pump, disconnect it etc. etc.
Cheers,
Dennis
denkar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the temp gauge...
if all the wires are in place then you might need to replace the sender and/or the gauge but I would be inclined to try the sender first.
Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: