2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser vs Prado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbw13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58    Post subject: Landcruiser vs Prado Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Yes I'm a newcomer to the forum, if you havne't read already in the new memebers' intro section, I'm a convert from ITOCUK (Isuzu Trooper) Well, converted by way of vehicle, still post on the forum, lol  Very Happy

Recently I purchased a really good condition 1994 SX Prado. (KZJ78) The previous owner had damaged the registration light holder/protector which had "PRADO" written on it. Went down to the local 4x4 wreckers and they had just the part I needed, but it didn't have Prado written on it, "Toyota 4WD" instead.

No big deal, I couldn't care less to tell you the truth, the question came to mind though what's the difference between Landcruiser, and Landcruiser Prado in the 70 series?

Have been looking at photos of various 75+ series examples and haven't noticed anything very different - unless it's under my nose / missed completly.  Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prado's are known as the light duy landcruiser's . The basic body from the windscreen back is the same but the front is 100 mm shorter and slopes down more because the smaller engines allow it to.
The front also has the indicator assembly built into the fenders where as the HD 70 series have a indicator pod(except the 2007 model) that fits onto the outside of the fender
The 70 series Prados have coil suspension and use Hilux engines and drivelines.
In oz they were about $5000 cheaper than a full size 7* series.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
mbw13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

roscoFJ73 wrote:
The Prado's are known as the light duy landcruiser's . The basic body from the windscreen back is the same but the front is 100 mm shorter and slopes down more because the smaller engines allow it to.
The front also has the indicator assembly built into the fenders where as the HD 70 series have a indicator pod(except the 2007 model) that fits onto the outside of the fender
The 70 series Prados have coil suspension and use Hilux engines and drivelines.
In oz they were about $5000 cheaper than a full size 7* series.

Cheers for the reply mate!  Wink

Sounds like an interesting concoction! lol

I sized the Prado up next to a Aussie made utility 70 series, and they were comparable - of course as you mentioned there were cosmetic differences.

THe height of mine and the ute were the same. But, my wagon has Koni shocks so it's lifted slightly by around 5cm.

Is my 3.0 TD a Hilux engine? Would be handy to know if/when I need parts  Very Happy
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK the Prado was sold as the Landcruiser 2. Main difference is trim. Prado is always a Grey market  import as they were not sold in UK. Prado tends to have better trim levels, Air con etc. All UK model 70 series were the light duty model as is the prado.
mbw13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yep I'm with you  Very Happy

Mine's a bit on the economy side at the moment, no air con, compressor spat the dummy a few days before I bought it  Crying or Very sad  No complaints though - the windows and fan do a good job at the moment. Should be, no, it needs to be fixed before summer hits! Not putting up with excess 30 celsius in the cab anymore.  Surprised
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mbw13"]
roscoFJ73 wrote:

Is my 3.0 TD a Hilux engine? Would be handy to know if/when I need parts  Very Happy

There is really  no such thing as Hilux,Landcruiser or Prado dedicated engines.
They all share the engines with similar weighted vehicles such as Hiace Dyna and Coaster.

As yours is a KZJ 78 it has the 1st generation of 1KZ T. It is used in Prado KZJ90/95 ,Hilux,Hiace and Dyna that I know of. There are non turbo versions(1KZ) and many of the external parts will interchange with the 6 cyl 1HZ and 1HD T engines in Landcruiser and Coasters;)

All your engine and gearbox,driveline details are on an aluminium plate on the firewall and can be decoded here if you take the time.
http://www.cruiserfaq.com/00-00.html
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
mbw13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that link mate  Very Happy

I'm happy to take the time, just a matter of if there's any spare!  Wink  Quite busy with work at the moment; a fellow staff member has dropped a bomb so to speak, which has made things difficult.  Sad

Mike.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota Prado is the same as a U.K. Colarado. It is not a Landcruiser 2. If you have a Prado it is a grey import. The name Colarado was only used in the U.K. The L.C.2 was sold in large numbers in Europe but to a lower trim level and with the 2.4 engine. Due to restrictions agreed with our gov. total numbers of L.C.2s sold in the U.K. amounted to approx 1100 (358 with 3 litre engine)
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the Landcruiser 2 was available with the 3 litre engine. Colorado was the 90 series LC 2 was the 70 series. Prado was used as JDM name for both the 78 and the 90 series, also known as Bundera in Aus.

3 litre in UK spec Landcruiser 2 (not LC2 as that is 120 series) is the 1KZT, import has the 1KZTE engine. 2.4 was 2LT in UK spec Landcruiser 2 and 2LTE in import Prado.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

As I said there were 358 L.C.2s fitted with the 3 litre engine ( I've got one ). The Bundera was the heavy duty version i.e. leaf springs and mostly drum brakes as sold in Australasia. Some grey versions of the L.C.2 came fitted with rear discs and a dashboard from the 80 series.

Cheers

Roger Fairclough
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger.

Agree there were not many 3 litre UK Landcruiser 2s. Main point is that the Colorado name was never available in the UK until 90 series. 70 series Prado will be a light duty import with either 2LTE or 1KZTE engine.

Bundera was a light duty model with 2LT engine

Good write up here:
http://www.brian894x4.com/LC70BunderaPradomain.html

However one thing I did get wrong is that the Bundera was never a name for the 78 series, this was either a Landcruiser 2 in the UK or Prado everywhere else. Bundera was only available with 2.4 engine and died when the 78 came about (It was an LJ70 or RJ70).

I would be pretty sure that there are more 70 series Prados in the UK than official UK models, bit like the Hilux Surf being more common than the UK 4Runner

Other 70 series models had the Heavy Duty setup - lead springs, 1HZ engine etc, 73,74,75,78.
mbw13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky wrote:
Roger.

Agree there were not many 3 litre UK Landcruiser 2s. Main point is that the Colorado name was never available in the UK until 90 series. 70 series Prado will be a light duty import with either 2LTE or 1KZTE engine.

Bundera was a light duty model with 2LT engine

Good write up here:
http://www.brian894x4.com/LC70BunderaPradomain.html

However one thing I did get wrong is that the Bundera was never a name for the 78 series, this was either a Landcruiser 2 in the UK or Prado everywhere else. Bundera was only available with 2.4 engine and died when the 78 came about (It was an LJ70 or RJ70).

I would be pretty sure that there are more 70 series Prados in the UK than official UK models, bit like the Hilux Surf being more common than the UK 4Runner

Other 70 series models had the Heavy Duty setup - lead springs, 1HZ engine etc, 73,74,75,78.

Great site mate - cheers   Very Happy

Mike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: