2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

TYRE SIZE QUERY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exlandyfreak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 18:16    Post subject: TYRE SIZE QUERY Reply with quote

I have a SWB 2003 LC2 120 series Prado I suppose, although its branded only as Land Cruiser, the new shape that came out in 2003.

As it is the LC2 version it only has tiny 225/65x17 tyres on it, anyone upgraded to larger tyres? If so how big and did you need to extend the wheel arches as they are about 5cm narrower than on the LC3-5's??

And any insurance issue?

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 18:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

stjones(R1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 19:29    Post subject: Tyres and wheels Reply with quote

I dont know about the LC120 but on my Amazon LC 100 I have fitted 16" rims and 285/75 16 tyres  BFG MT.  £118 each from Camskill online.  £15 each to fit onto the new rims.  The spare literally just fits underneath now.  My wheel stud spacing is 5 x 150.  Standard Jap is 5 x 139.  Getting decent AT or MT tyres may be an issue with 17" rims, thats why I had to buy 16s and obviously being 5 x 150 they had to be sourced from Toyota but a scrappers would be fine.

I was told 16" rims wouldn't fit but Toyota invrestigated for me and they do.  So if you have 5 x 150 stud spacings get some scrapper Landcruiser alloys, but just check you have over 1" clearance all around the calipers first.

Tyre size is easy, just check the clearances at the front and back inner edges to see how many mm you can go up by.  Usually you can go up 10 to 20mm each side without cause for concern.  Just remember that if you go wider by 40mm you will need to lower the aspect ratio.  That's the ***/60 or 70 etc/Rim Size

You can find tyre sites with calculators on them.

My speedo is now dead accurate +/- 0mph

Roadnoise in a straight line at 70, what roadnoise.
Grip in the wet during hard cornering is awesome.
The only noise I get from the tyres is round corners at 40+, which is when the huge side cleats dig in.  With the window open and no stereo on.  With the windows closed you can hardly hear them.

I was told that I couldn't have 16" rims because the brakes were too big but I purchased a set of 16" steel rims from Sandhurst Toyota in Berkshire and plumped for the biggest tyre I could fit.

I have about 15mm clearance from the steering arms.  They BFGs are about 2 to 3 inches taller than the standard AT23s on 18" rims.

They look awesome and give the car a more aggressive appearance.

I could do with a body lift now, about 2" would be fine.  Anybody know a place around Surrey and Hants borders that can do this for me and what is it likely to cost.
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 23:45    Post subject: Re: Tyres and wheels Reply with quote

stjones(R1) wrote:
I could do with a body lift now, about 2" would be fine.  Anybody know a place around Surrey and Hants borders that can do this for me and what is it likely to cost.

Are you after a body lift or suspension lift?

I'm about to do a quote for a 2" suspension lift for a 100 that I'll be prepping for a round the world trip.

Apart from wanting the extra clearance are you planning any other mods like  winch bar, fuel tanks, etc?

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
stjones(R1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just a body lift really.

I do want to fit a winch, but I am going to try and find out if you can put a pto on the gearbox to drive an hydraulic pump, then I can have an hydraulic winch.

If you want to give me a quote for a body lift please do.  And it would be worth letting me know about the suspension lift too, but you can only  do so much with suspension and body lifts, because you are always hampered by the diffs.
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For the winch, I fit the MileMarker M12, it can be modified to get it running off the power steering pump - it is slow, but does the job.

The PTO route is possible, but will be a lot more expensive wit major changes to the transfer case etc.  If you are wanting more speed another option is to get a 3rd party pump and run it off the fan belts or aircon belt - the main tricky bit will be putting together a bracket to mount it on - even so will be cheaper than the PTO route.

What height of lift are you after?

Body lifts are more hassle than suspension, personally I would go for suspension first and then think of body lifts.  You can do a fair bit with a suspension lift if you go the diff drop kit route - a good place to check out is the forums on IH8MUD.com for inspiration.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: