Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Steering Wheel Positioning Motors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mixture Rich

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 14:38    Post subject: Steering Wheel Positioning Motors Reply with quote

1999 100 series 4.2TD
In the past few weeks my steering wheel positioner seems to have packed in - partially at least. I can get the steering wheel to come toward me and back away from me with the 4 position switch on the side of the steering column. I can also get it to go up and down a tiny bit (only when the wheel is fully out) but the movement is much less than what it used to be. Thw wheel no longer retracts and tilts fully up when I remove the key. The memorized driving positions, controlled by the buttons on the door, don't seem to fully work either (works fine for the seat but not for the steering wheel tilt setting).
I took the steering column covers off yesterday and found a small motor under the main steering shaft. the motor worked only sometimes when I cycled the 4 position switch. When the motor did work the shaft rotated no more than 10 to 15 degrees.
Any ideas?
Mixture
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 14:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you will find its the motor, seems to be a problem on 100's. Happend to a friend who has a new Range Rover as well so not only a Toyota problem
Mixture Rich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new motor.
Straight forward job of removing steering column covers, disconnecting the motor and removing the 2 mounting bolts either side of the motor. Remove split washer from front of shaft and spin the motor out. When out remove the split washer from the base of the shaft. Reverse procedure for fitting the new one but you must set the motor position in order for it to work. This is done by screwing the motor in fully then rotating it back 360 degress before securing it. If you dont do this the motor is set incorrectly and will not function properly (it will not tilt up fully when you remove the key). All in all it took about 40 minutes. The motor cost €240 from Toyota..........I'm really wondering if it was worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: